Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Ranger | Courier
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-10-2020, 06:46 AM   #1
demotim00
AF Regular

Question No compression on cylinder 2 and 3.

I have a 99 ranger with the 2.5 liter in it. It has rough idle and loss of acceleration power. It is not throwing the check engine light and obd2 scanner shows no codes. Shop claim they did a compression test and cylinder 2 and 3 has zero compression. That dont sound right to me as i feel it would certainly illuminate the cel and show dtc for misfire. Plugs wires and air intake temp sensor all replaced. What do you guys think.
demotim00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 09:19 AM   #2
aleekat
AF Enthusiast

Re: No compression on cylinder 2 and 3.

Sounds like a classic head gasket failure between 2 & 3 the narrowest point.
Old 11-10-2020, 10:10 AM   #3
demotim00
AF Regular

thats what another shop said it coul;d be but i also had 2 other shops over the phone telling me to get 2nd opinion as dead cylindrrs would most certainly throw misfire codes whuich this isnt
Old 11-10-2020, 10:54 AM   #4
aleekat
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by demotim00 View Post
thats what another shop said it coul;d be but i also had 2 other shops over the phone telling me to get 2nd opinion as dead cylindrrs would most certainly throw misfire codes whuich this isnt
So what do these other shops think is the issue?
Old 11-10-2020, 11:50 AM   #5
65comet
AF Enthusiast

In my search, Autozone is supposed to have a loaner engine compression tester. Then you could check it yourself.
65comet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 12:26 PM   #6
demotim00
AF Regular

as the other shops said, without a furtnher look and paying between $80-$100 hard to say but the one thing that does seem to be consistent is they all agree i should be showing misfire codes. all i can do is once have the money have another shop look in to it, as it doesnt sound right for 2 cylinders to have zero compression and no misfire codes present. Anyone know if infact both cyinders were dead would it only have semi rouygh idle and slow to take off
Old 11-10-2020, 01:14 PM   #7
aleekat
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by demotim00 View Post
as the other shops said, without a furtnher look and paying between $80-$100 hard to say but the one thing that does seem to be consistent is they all agree i should be showing misfire codes. all i can do is once have the money have another shop look in to it, as it doesnt sound right for 2 cylinders to have zero compression and no misfire codes present. Anyone know if infact both cyinders were dead would it only have semi rouygh idle and slow to take off
Blew a head gasket on an inline 4 between 2&3. Rough idle, would accelerate through 1st gear then flat on it's face after that. Like the other post. You can get a compression tester at most auto parts loan-a-tool program. You just put a deposit down and get it back when you return the tool. Some googling said you may or may not get codes.
Old 11-10-2020, 01:18 PM   #8
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

If compression is down the vehicle doesn't know it. The plugs will still fire in time and the injectors will still spray in time, you just won't have the power. There will be no misfire detected to throw the code.
Old 11-10-2020, 08:01 PM   #9
demotim00
AF Regular

i am able to do 65-70 on highway nop problem with a little over half throttlle but wont really go above 80 regardless, it is midly slow on take off if half my engine had zero compression would that be possible? idle is semi rough but not like shaking truck apart bad. According to old only the problems did not start until after he change radiator due to crack and plugs at same time. Bough truck jkust over week ago, was very very slow on take off and cel was loit showuing misfire cylinder 2 (plug wire were clearly shot) and air tem sensor bad, replaced both cel went out and does no longer show codes and performance did increase also fuel muileage although not calculated droesnt seerm that bad at all guessing 20 or so mpg

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Ranger | Courier