Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 12:19 PM   #46
Carr96
AF Newbie

Re: Best Off-Road Truck

I've got a 99' ford exploder, what kind of work would I need to do to take it out mudding?
Carr96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:34 PM   #47
Razon
AF Newbie

Ok, this is an old forum...however, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned like an old Land Rover...or an older Mercedes G-wagen...fully locked from factory (hydraulic locks operated from inside), with strong axels(front same as rear), fully syncronized transfer case (can switch from 2wd-4wd-4lo while you drive...all mechanical, no electronics!!!...only one ever made like that as far as I know), can fit 35's on a stock truck (minor inner fender trimming), gas with mechanical fuel injection (no problem on slopes, and no electronics) or diesel motors, built to military specs since it's a military vehicle (super strong frame). With very few exceptions, all controls are mechanical or hydraulic (VERY reliable...like your brakes!!!), fully sealed drive train, with vents located in high locations (good for water crossings), 4.88 gears (6.14 optional...REALLY low); actually total reduction in 4lo if you consider 1'st gear, torque converter, transfer case and diffs it's ~100:1.Comes in a short wheel base or long...depending on what you need...hell they even have a convertible (safary style). That's all FACTORY!!! you won't have to spent time and money doing frustrating upgrades, only to discover the next part in the drive train will give up because it's not strong enough. It's very comfortable as well, and the price will be above average, but in my opinion the best truck ever made.
And then if you want to talk ultimate 4x4 (that you can still drive on the street) ... well, I'm sorry, but forget all chevy, ford, land rover, toyota...or anything else for that matter. Just get a UNIMOG!!!
I understand some people might be upset because I said that but, DO THE RESEARCH, and if you want to shut me down bring me some facts, don't just say something else it's better "in your opinion"
Razon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 04:49 PM   #48
scoutnut
AF Newbie

International Scout. They are inexpensive, and built heavy duty from the factory. I embarass jeeps all of the time in mine!!
scoutnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:19 PM   #49
OffRoadInfoHelper
AF Newbie

Hey guys. i know a lot about off roading. My friend has a 1969 Ford Bronco with a 2 inch lift. With all the lights it has about 2.5 million candle light. My dad and I often go along with them and we have 3 off roading trucks, Our main truck is a 2009 Ford F-250 Super duty wwith a 6 inch lift and a top light rack bumper light rack and a serch light. We also have a Dodge Ram 1500 with 42 inch no street legal rock climbver pack and our third is a empbaresment a 2003 Jeep Wrangler 4 inch lift light rack and a chevy 8 cylnder 250 horse engine..Any questions Send ,me a message
OffRoadInfoHelper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:51 AM   #50
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

We welcome your enthusiasm, OffRoad (and maybe smaller text too, my eyes aren't that bad just yet).

But we do prefer to keep all discussions open and accessible for all forum members to view and participate. So posting your questions and answers are preferred over messages.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical