Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 08:34 AM   #46
deaven
AF Newbie

Re: Chevy Colorado Vibration

My 2005 Chevy Colorado LS crewcab, 44,000mi, just had the vibration problem - I could feel it even at low speeds of 30mph, but it was unmistakeable at 45mph and above, and more pronounced on acceleration. This was solved by replacing the front U joint on the driveshaft (propeller shaft). This vehicle has 3 joints because it has 2 shaft sections.

The vibration started slowly and at first I suspected the tires. I rotated them and nothing changed, then over a few days it got worse every day. I also heard some metallic screeching occasionally when accelerating. The joint was binding and causing the noise and the vibration. The multi-section shaft is also easier to vibrate; there is a rubber damper with bearing midway back which could easily be damaged by excessive vibration. I'd recommend quickly solving this to avoid secondary damage.
deaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:18 PM   #47
SodGuy
AF Newbie

I have a 2004 Ext cab Colorado w/ 5 cyl engine. From day 1 it has vibrated from 73 to 78 mph and just today I found out the drive shaft is shaped like an egg! This is a manufacturing problem, I spent so much time looking for it in the tires and wheels that now the $600 expense to get both the front and rear shafts and the hanging bearing replaced is going to be on me. I just found this thread or I would have had the drive shaft checked 5 years ago. Arg.
SodGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:08 PM   #48
coachcrow
AF Newbie

Chevy Colorado Vibration

I am driving my sons 2007 Colorado--I have replaced all 4 tires trying to stop an annoying vibration---it didn't help. Truck starts shaking at 30 and gets worse as speed increases. The steering wheel does not shake, but the seats and truck bed shake badly.

Could it be driveshaft or U-joint?
coachcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:07 PM   #49
audiopro1
AF Newbie

I just solved the mystery of the vibration in my 2006 crewcab. My carrier bearing just went out and ripped its mounting bracket off of the frame. Dealership says the only way for them to repair it is to replace frame. No one seems to have an answer as to how the bracket could break the way it did.
audiopro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 03:50 AM   #50
rondmc79
AF Newbie

Well, I can see u am a bit late. Anyway, I have a 2005 Colorado Z71 4x4 3.5. Same thing as everyone else in here. The annoying vibration in the rear passenger wheel. I've had countless mechanics look at it only to tell me they can't find anything wrong with it. Also, I've noticed I can't drive too fast on off/on ramps because the truck will practically jump lanes of I hit a small bump in the road.
All and all, I wouldn't trade her for the world. I live in Chicago and she hasn't failed me through any of the snow storms we've had. I've helped more people than I can count by towing people from ditches , snowbanks, and up bridges that were iced over.
I wish I had found this site earlier , I wouldn't have wasted thousands of dollars on trying to figure out what the vibration is.
rondmc79 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical