Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Corvette
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Corvette
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 11:12 PM   #31
ASEMAT
AF Newbie

Re: Corvettes in Snow Myth?

I have a C6 and I was terrified while descending Mount Baldy on black ice and snow at night. I was praying for a turnout where I could stop in time. I had people beeping their horns behind me as I skated down the highway. My fault for leaving too late with a severe temperature drop. Made it though without a scratch. Stayed up all night cleaning my baby too.

I must say though that there is a car that is worse.
I once had a '69 Charger R/T w/440 6bbl. (Holley mechanical secondary type, not vacuum). That car was so front heavy and rear light that it would not even drive without weight in the trunk. I had to put a box of tools in it just to get to the fire dept to get sand bags.

My GF's car was my best experience. A WRX Wagon (Subaru) Excellent cornering in snow believe it or not. She would take these corners and I would be going 'Oh my God!' and bracing myself. She would look over and go, "What? what is wrong with you?" She's so used to it I guess.

Lastly and most importantly:

A lesson that should have been well known a long time ago.

Never question mother.

Mother is ALWAYS right.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:45 AM   #32
Reredrum
AF Newbie

Im new here, and i didnt really read all the post to answer this but heres my two cents...

any car with proper winter tires and a patient driver can be driven in the snow it may be a 2nd gen camaro a 3rd gen firebird a 69 chevelle a 2002 SS or a C5 Z06 or even a C6 ZR1...the trick is the tires...and if your car is equipped with Traction Control and ABS thats a plus, im from toronto, ontario, we used to get nasty snow storms here...and ive driven lots of sports cars in the rain, snow and slush...the latest one i drove would be the one that relates to this topic the most...MS4 cammed LS6 with full exhaust headers to tips full intake, 2003 Z06 lowered...with C6 Z06 wheels strapped with blizzacks...you wouldnt believe how good it is in the snow...generally domestic cars due to there weight weather youre putting 430 rwhp or not are decent in the snow if you know how to tame them...i personally dont drive my summer street/strip cars in the rain or snow, but its absolutely doable... its the driver not the car.
Reredrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 01:01 PM   #33
rkvons
AF Enthusiast

I had a '77 vette with an automatic and carburetor. When you first start it, it would be on high-idle. When I ventured out into slippery roads, the fast idle would make my back tires spin. Since it was posi-traction, I'd be sitting at a light with the brake on and the back tires would start spinning, causing the back end to drift over. I'd have to press harder on the brakes to stop it. Other than that, it was okay in the snow. Just low to the ground and would plow through like others have mentioned. I won't drive my C6 in snow. Never!
rkvons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:30 PM   #34
batvette
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reredrum View Post
Im new here, and i didnt really read all the post to answer this but heres my two cents...

any car with proper winter tires and a patient driver can be driven in the snow it may be a 2nd gen camaro a 3rd gen firebird a 69 chevelle a 2002 SS or a C5 Z06 or even a C6 ZR1...the trick is the tires...and if your car is equipped with Traction Control and ABS thats a plus, im from toronto, ontario, we used to get nasty snow storms here...and ive driven lots of sports cars in the rain, snow and slush...the latest one i drove would be the one that relates to this topic the most...MS4 cammed LS6 with full exhaust headers to tips full intake, 2003 Z06 lowered...with C6 Z06 wheels strapped with blizzacks...you wouldnt believe how good it is in the snow...generally domestic cars due to there weight weather youre putting 430 rwhp or not are decent in the snow if you know how to tame them...i personally dont drive my summer street/strip cars in the rain or snow, but its absolutely doable... its the driver not the car.
You're trying to rationalize this but the math is against you here. Sure any car CAN be "driven" in the snow but read the post above from the guy who drove down mt. baldy. He's struggling at 10 mph to keep it out of the weeds and everyone else can do 30-40. The Corvette's tires have a very low PSI number (footprint, not inflation, duh) compared to nearly any other car on the road, it's just a pig on any slick surface snow tires or not. Only way to improve this is to put another wheel with a narrow tire on it then what, you wanna change tires and wheels every time you get behind the wheel? Just consider everything that makes it a champ in dry smooth conditions like 50/50 weight distribution and wide tires works against it in snow and wet.
So is it DOABLE, yes if all your roads are flat and you don't see more than 3" of snow. You will still likely slide off and hit something, definately if you have hills, all the while looking like a moron while those with more conventional vehicles laugh as they buzz by and reach their destination on time.
Only performance car I owned that I consider would be viable in snow country was a Porsche 914, I assume the 911 is similar. 914's stock 165/15 tire and mid/rear format works great in snow.
batvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:50 AM   #35
indybail
AF Newbie

I live in Indianapolis IN and I don't drive mine in the winter. Salt is always an issue, but also they just not fun on ice and snow. Corvette are designed to certain things and SUVs other kinds of things. They both certainly have their places.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Corvette