Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Celica
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-15-2004, 10:38 AM   #1
WinterHeatRacing
AF Newbie

Question Lazer block and 20r head

I am trying to find out if I could use the 20r head on a 85 lazer block and what kind of modifications would need to be done. I have 2 of these motors and plenty of 20r heads. I also have the headers for the 20r. I race on a 1/4 aslphalt circle track and would like to hear from anyone that could help me with this. I currently have a 22r block with the 20r head combo and I don't feel that I'm getting enough power out of it asgainst the Eslinger ford motors
WinterHeatRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 12:00 PM   #2
berkut1973
AF Newbie

Re: Lazer block and 20r head

Dude- whats your car? Just get an 18R-G!
berkut1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 03:54 PM   #3
WinterHeatRacing
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Lazer block and 20r head

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkut1973
Dude- whats your car? Just get an 18R-G!

It's a 1980 Toyota Celica with a 2002 Monte Carlo Nose http://hometown.aol.com/wnterheat2/

I have found out alot latley I thank you for your response. It's very hard to find 18R-G motors here in N.C
Old 04-14-2004, 01:14 AM   #4
Sypherz28
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Sypherz28 Send a message via Yahoo to Sypherz28
Where at in NC?
Old 04-14-2004, 02:17 AM   #5
Rob Rev
AF Newbie

To run the 20r head on a lazer block yo have to shave the deck of the head to match the deck of a 22r head. The only problem with this mod is that you will lose some compression form the open chamber on the 20r head. Try checking out http://www.lcengineering.com .They have everything you can ever need for a 20r/22r engine.

Tech Notes: From LC Engineering

Using a 20R Head on an 85-95 22RE Block

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is possible to run a 20R Head on an 85-95 laser block. In order to keep the cam and crank centerline consistent with an 85-95 head, you must mill the 20R head to a measurement of 3.130 (measured from the bottom of the front cam journal to the deck of the head). Remember to re-machine the oil passage back into the deck surface of the 20R head after milling to retain oil passage to the top of the motor. LC Engineering can perform this service if you prefer. Call us, then send us your head (you'll need an RGA number) or we will supply you with one built to your specifications.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rob Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 02:50 PM   #6
WinterHeatRacing
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sypherz28
Where at in NC?

I live in Garner and run at Wake County Speedway. The car in the picture is last years car. I am currently building a new car to run at Kenly (Southern National Speedway). The car will be the same color as my Truck and have a 2004 Dodge nose on it.
Old 04-14-2004, 02:54 PM   #7
WinterHeatRacing
AF Newbie

Wink Re: Lazer block and 20r head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Rev
To run the 20r head on a lazer block yo have to shave the deck of the head to match the deck of a 22r head. The only problem with this mod is that you will lose some compression form the open chamber on the 20r head. Try checking out http://www.lcengineering.com .They have everything you can ever need for a 20r/22r engine.

Tech Notes: From LC Engineering

Using a 20R Head on an 85-95 22RE Block

It is possible to run a 20R Head on an 85-95 laser block. In order to keep the cam and crank centerline consistent with an 85-95 head, you must mill the 20R head to a measurement of 3.130 (measured from the bottom of the front cam journal to the deck of the head). Remember to re-machine the oil passage back into the deck surface of the 20R head after milling to retain oil passage to the top of the motor. LC Engineering can perform this service if you prefer. Call us, then send us your head (you'll need an RGA number) or we will supply you with one built to your specifications.

Thank you LC engineering for your info. Hopefully when I can get more sponsorship I will be able to buy some more of your Products. The adjustable cam gear that I bought from you is great. Once again thank you. P.S Send me some stickers
Old 04-15-2004, 12:44 AM   #8
Rob Rev
AF Newbie

Sorry if you misunderstood I'm not from LC or have anthing to do with them. I just like there products and use them. They are the best for aftermarket parts for the 22r style of engines. Also they have some good tech articles.

Best E.T. 12.075 @ 110.75
1988 Toyota 22r Drag Racer
Rob Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 01:09 AM   #9
bigdawg140
AF Newbie

if u want good aftermarket parts and craftmanship then check out www.doaracingengines.com this guy's name is tim he truely rocks!!!!!
bigdawg140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:26 AM   #10
beardenracin31
AF Newbie

I have ran this combination before and it works with radical head work like porting and big valves. But the true hybrid your thinking about is the 81-84 tall block that had pistons that popped out of the block. A combination like this makes greatest stock HP. I feel the way your set up you would make greater HP using a Pear shaped exhaust port 22re head. Shave it 110 thousands and use dbl valve springs. If your rules require no pop up pistons like mine does. The 81-84 block with the 22re head makes most power. How you do this is you take the individual pistons and a belt sander an sand the rings off the top of the piston. Giving you a true flat top piston instead of the dish style pistons 22re' s are limited to. This setup gives you 10:1 compression just make sure to eyebrowl you piston for valve clearance. Next you need race fuel additive. I use propylene oxide. It raise compression to 12.5:1 or greater. I've seen it win 8 track championships. Also make sure your gears are right for the track ID say 358 or 342 any higher or lower and your not getting your engines truck potential.
beardenracin31 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Celica