Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > IS200/IS300/IS350/Altezza
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 11:03 PM   #1
Shortblock
AF Newbie

IS 300 Serpentine Tensioner Pulley

My '01 IS300 has over 70,000 miles on it. Serpentine belt was getting noisy, starting to show the "checking" on the grooved side, so I decided to put on a new one. When I took the belt off, I noticed the tensioner pulley was a bit wobbly, so I wanted to change it.

If you run into this problem, contact me. Deal is, the dealer will only sell you the complete tensioner assembly for about $180.00. If you have the dealer do the work, you won't get out of the shop for under $300.00.

I fixed mine, and if you're at all mechanically inclined and have a decent set of hand tools, you can fix yours for under $50.00 or pay somebody using my method to fix it for about $100.00.

Clue: The pulley bearing can be pressed out and a new one pressed in, and the bearing is all that is really worn out. Shop for a double-shielded bearing; easily acquired at any of several on-line firms. A little lock-tite on the bolt that holds the pulley onto the tensioner arm, and you're down the road.

I live in San Diego area and can assist folks who live around here.
Shortblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 10:33 PM   #2
Brian R.
Resident Chemist

Send a message via Yahoo to Brian R.
Re: IS 300 Serpentine Tensioner Pulley

Thanks for the hint.

"What we've got here is a failure to communicate"
Brian R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 11:49 AM   #3
Quazzie
AF Newbie

Re: IS 300 Serpentine Tensioner Pulley

"the dealer will only sell you the complete tensioner assembly for about $180.00. If you have the dealer do the work, you won't get out of the shop for under $300.00."
"pay somebody using my method to fix it for about $100.00"

Surely the peace of mind of knowing that the work on your car was carried out by a professionaly trained lexus mechanic is worth a mere $20.. ($100 for labour plus $180 for the tensioner)

"Clue: The pulley bearing can be pressed out and a new one pressed in, and the bearing is all that is really worn out. Shop for a double-shielded bearing; easily acquired at any of several on-line firms. A little lock-tite on the bolt that holds the pulley onto the tensioner arm, and you're down the road."

When it comes to the belts on a car is it really a good idea to be advising home made remedies.. ask yourself how much a new block costs if the engine seizes..
Quazzie is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > IS200/IS300/IS350/Altezza