Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Off-Topic
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Off-Topic Talk about anything other than cars.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 11:23 PM   #16
Turbodog97
Just a Neon

Re: Engine Flush *WATER* can I do it?

Haha, this reminds me when my sparkplug broke off into the cylinder. I went up to Giffylube and the only thing he could think about doing was washing out the engine with a hose. He even rung it up on the computer and printed a receipt "One engine flush via water" lol. I'm hoping he was joking.

05 Srt4
Agp 3147 w/supporting mods

97 Mx-5
T28, hks man, ebay int/pipes, rfl bov, xtd 6 puck, 3" magnaflow, msd timing box,
Turbodog97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 12:16 AM   #17
l_eclipse_l
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by endlessheart666
Haha, this reminds me when my sparkplug broke off into the cylinder. I went up to Giffylube and the only thing he could think about doing was washing out the engine with a hose. He even rung it up on the computer and printed a receipt "One engine flush via water" lol. I'm hoping he was joking.
You should have bitch slapped that guy.

Zoom Stage 1 Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjewer1
I disagree. Better is better. Bigger is just bigger.

I just made that up, and I like it.
l_eclipse_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 05:14 AM   #18
kjewer1
AF - Advisor

PR hit it on the head, water and oil just don't mix!! If you feel the need to flush the oil system out, which is a valid procedure, I do it every so often but on a smaller scale, you need to use solvent based products that still retain enough lubricity to prevent further damage (this is why most motor flush products instruct you to not drive the car, just idle it). There are a few types out there, but the Gunk Motor Flush is available in every autoparts store. See what is available in your local store. Most of them will require dumping the product into the oil pan and idling the motor for ~10 minutes after it warms up, then a full oil/filter change. You can buy cheap oil as someone suggested and do it a second time if you want. I do something a little less drastic, but more often, to prevent getting into a situation where the motor is really sludgy. I run half a quart of Marvels Mystery Oil in the crankcase 500 miles before an oil change a couple times a year and do relatively easy highway driving for that time. No trips to the dragstrip anyway... On older motors you'd be surprised what that stuff will remove when you drain the oil. I've been running relatively new motors for some time now so it's just a preventative measure. I also keep a magnet on the side of the oil pan just above the drain plug to catch all magnetic metals (theu tend to be the harder ones that do the most damage anyway), then pull the magnet right after I pull the drainplug to allow the oil flow to rinse out whatever had collected on the other side of the pan. When I build up my own motors, I put the magnet in the pan and leave it there until the next tear down. Mcmaster.com has a good selection of magnets, use some thought and creativity to go over all the different types and pick one that is strong (pull strength) and will hold up in a harsh environment with high heat and oils/solvents (if its in the pan), while keeping it affordable.

I have to say though, I agree that what you are hearing in your motor could very well be rod knock, in which case everything in this post will be worthless to you, for this motor at least Good luck.
kjewer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 05:44 PM   #19
motoman122
AF Newbie

Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Off-Topic > Engine Flush *WATER* can I do it?
Engine Flush *WATER* can I do it?

brattzzzzz
03-08-2006, 05:22 PM
hey i know people blow their headgaskets all the time and get water in the engine

i want to know if i can flush my motor out while doing an oil change with water

i found some tiny chips of metal in the oil pan when i stuck a magnetic stick in there

so i want to stick the hose in each cylinder and flush it out with WATER

is this ok?

Absolutely! If you want to completely destroy your engine, go ahead!

NEVER put water anywhere except where it is supposed to go....in the cooling system.

I can't believe i am even taking time to answer this question, but it is a rainy Sunday afternoon.
motoman122 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Off-Topic