Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Trans Sport
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 11:25 AM   #1
Bill2606
AF Newbie

EVAP Purge Valve Problem

Hi. Does anyone know where I can find the EVAP Purge Valve on my 1996 (Plastic body) Trans Sport with the 3.4l engine?

I have the Haynes Manuals for the older 1991 style body and the newer metal bodied one (for info on the 3.4l engine). On my vehicle, the EVAP canister is behind the passenger side headlight (as on the 1991 vehicle) which is different to the newer model. According to the new model's manual this is located near the fuel tank and the purge valve is below the ignition coils at the rear of the engine. I cannot see into this area but cannot feel anything like a valve there. There is a small valve with two pipes and a cable going to it mounted on the passenger side inner wing (fender). Is this the purge valve?
Bill2606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 10:37 AM   #2
maltondhc
AF Newbie

Re: EVAP Purge Valve Problem

Bill:
Not having worked on a 3.4, I cannot direct you exactly to where it is; however, I do not believe that is the solenoid you are looking for.
Interestingly, both your 96 3.4 and my 95 3.8 use the identical solenoid http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....261796&jsn=397
On the 3.8 it is mounted on a bracket on the engine, at the rear, close to the throttle body. Yours however will probably be mounted differently.
It is fed front a small diameter hard plastic line from the canister, via a quick disconnect around serpentine belt. From there it snakes around the back on my engine to the solenoid, which is mounted up top in plain sight. From there the output hose eventually goes to the throttle body.
It is controlled by the pcm; the 95 manual breaks it out as a green with white stripe wire, and a pink wire. I think yours will be the same
Good luck
Jeff
maltondhc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maltondhc For This Useful Post:
Bill2606 (08-23-2017)
Old 08-25-2017, 02:49 AM   #3
sergeimoskva
AF Newbie

Hi! Engine 3.4 l

sergeimoskva is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sergeimoskva For This Useful Post:
Bill2606 (08-25-2017)
Old 08-25-2017, 10:39 AM   #4
Bill2606
AF Newbie

Hi Sergei. Thanks for the photos. I have just been out to look at my car with them. Unfortunately, although I can see the other valves etc in the photos, the purge valve is not there. I have traced the plastic tubing as best I can and I think it is below and behind the ignition coils as described in the new model's manual. It is impossible to see or get to the valve without pulling the engine forward. I could only just touch it by reaching over the engine, so I'm not certain that it is actually the correct valve.
Old 08-25-2017, 02:33 PM   #5
sergeimoskva
AF Newbie

Hi !!! If you have a new engine 3.4L - in this case the EVAP is located (see picture)
sergeimoskva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 03:50 AM   #6
Bill2606
AF Newbie

Hi Sergei. It looks as if that is my engine, although the pipe from the Evap cylinder is routed over the drive belt end of the engine. What a crazy place to mount the valve. It is virtually impossible to change it without incurring huge garage costs. As the fault code is intermittent at the moment, I think I may just ignore it. I don't think it is a serious problem.
Old 08-27-2017, 06:58 AM   #7
LMP
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill2606 View Post
....What a crazy place to mount the valve. ....
...and the ignition coils....! WIth the 3.8 they were right in front. However with the 3.4 being a 60° engine (3.8 was 90°) maybe there is more room between the back of the engine and the firewall....

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
code , evap , p1655 , purge , valve
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Trans Sport