Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 03:38 PM   #1
braleigh
AF Newbie

Volts Light

Hi,
I have a 1998 Chevrolet Lumina and the Volts Light came on. My car is running fine and I am still able to use all my lights and radio. I took it in to get fixed and was told that the alternator had a voltage spike and fried the alternator and the PCM. Since the PCM controls more than just the alternator and everything else is still working, is it possble that maybe the Volts light itself is malfunctioning? Or is there maybe and different issue that would not cost me to pay $1500 to fix.
Thank You
braleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:49 AM   #2
Bearwulf
AF Regular

Re: Volts Light

Where did you take it to have it checked out for the problim?
1891Argentine 7.65 with scope!
Bearwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:53 PM   #3
Probulator
AF Newbie

I'm by no means an expert on ECU's/sensors, but my '98 Lumina did this a few years ago. In my case, the battery was still able to crank and start the engine (barely), but gave a low reading on the multimeter (barely 12 volts [should be 12.4 - 12.65]). This was enough to activate the cryptic 'Volts' light.

I'm not sure you have the same problem. . . I just recommend having the battery tested (if you haven't already) before spending a small fortune on the expensive parts you mentioned. Auto Zone, O'Reileys, NAPA, and other stores that don't actually work on cars are the best. They only run the tests you ask for, and never try to sell you something you don't need.

Last edited by Probulator; 02-08-2010 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Grammar Fail
Probulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:35 AM   #4
Tnieves102
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Probulator View Post
I'm by no means an expert on ECU's/sensors, but my '98 Lumina did this a few years ago. In my case, the battery was still able to crank and start the engine (barely), but gave a low reading on the multimeter (barely 12 volts [should be 12.4 - 12.65]). This was enough to activate the cryptic 'Volts' light.

I'm not sure you have the same problem. . . I just recommend having the battery tested (if you haven't already) before spending a small fortune on the expensive parts you mentioned. Auto Zone, O'Reileys, NAPA, and other stores that don't actually work on cars are the best. They only run the tests you ask for, and never try to sell you something you don't need.
I am also having a problem with my volt light coming on. Replaced the alternator and battery and now my car starts up and as I soon as i put it in drive it dies and the volts light comes on. Can you tell me what you did to fix this problem?

Thanks
Theresa
Tnieves102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:14 AM   #5
Probulator
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnieves102 View Post
I am also having a problem with my volt light coming on. Replaced the alternator and battery and now my car starts up and as I soon as i put it in drive it dies and the volts light comes on. Can you tell me what you did to fix this problem?

Thanks
Theresa
If you have a good battery and a good alternator, the 'volts' light doesn't exactly make much sense. It seems more likely (since you don't have problems until you engage the transmission) that the problem is your transmission. For instance, if the gear you are trying to engage is somehow locked up, it might possibly choke your engine out. Again, I'm not an expert on this subject or this particular problem, and the 'volts' light is confusing as hell.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:45 AM   #6
Bearwulf
AF Regular

Theresa:
Try disconnecting the TCC (tourque converter) solenoid. What year is your car?
If you notice, when you first turn on the ignition, the volts light is on. Any time the ignition key is on & engine is not running the volts light will be on because there is no charge being delivered to the battery.
1891Argentine 7.65 with scope!
Bearwulf is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
electrical , light , lumina , volts
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina