Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports
WIP - Motorsports Post topics for any "Work In Process" motorsports vehicles in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 03:50 PM   #181
ScratchBuilt
AF Enthusiast

Re: 1/8 Porsche 935/78 'Moby Dick'

No problem! I stopped keeping a record of build-time when I did the 908-3: I knew it was going to take a long time, so didn't want to get depressed! I think the 917-10 took around 1200 hours over two and a bit years, and the 908 was a little over three years...so maybe 1500 hours or more? I'm having to spend more time 'designing' the 935 as I don't have much in the way of official drawings to work from. I don't mind the time spent on research as I have been collecting info for several years now - when the model is finished and gathering dust, I still have the books to enjoy!

I actually have an airbrush and compressor, but I would find it hard to use it for most of the painting I do. It might get more use on the 935, though, particularly on the bodywork and interior. I think part of the problem is that airbrush painting is something I only do once every few years - everything I learnt when I sprayed the 917-10 in 2008 has now been forgotten! Must practice more often....

Here's the first 917K I made back in 2004 - 2005...with all the info I've got now I could make another one with much better detail, but I don't think I could go through it all again!

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...+8+porsche+917

Last edited by ScratchBuilt; 01-06-2013 at 04:00 PM. Reason: added link to 917K thread
ScratchBuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:41 PM   #182
gp-models
AF Regular

i hope you will use your airbrush this time, cause it will make a big difference in modeling

If your in trouble with 2k Laquers, fell free to conatct me, as professional car painter, i think i have some tips for you on the go
As usual, nice progress!! :top:
gp-models is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:40 AM   #183
ScratchBuilt
AF Enthusiast

Thanks for the offer, GP - it'll probably be next year before I'm thinking about painting anything, though!

I've spent this week refining the components for the front struts and hubs. The new hubs are slightly shorter than the prototype (18mm long) but are still based around using several sizes of styrene tube to get the required shape. The innermost tube is cut away to create the two clamps which hold the hub to the strut, with extra detailing from the half-round sections. The three thick rings are cut from two sizes of tube glued together, then trimmed to suit.

Here you can see the two hubs assembled. On the right, one of the 'ears' is offset - I've added a small bush to each hub to provide a base for the steering arm, which will be added later.

I've also re-made the struts, using a combination of styrene, aluminium and brass tube:

Switching to ali tube for the sliding sections gives me several benefits. First, it allows me to make the top part of the strut in a slightly smaller diameter, which looks more to scale - but it still fits in with the styrene. Also, it avoids problems with paint getting rubbed or scraped off later in the build - I can polish the ali instead. Finally, a length of brass tubing added to the inside keeps the strength up.

Finally, I've made a start on detailing the 'front' side of the hubs. I've glued small pieces of curved styrene to create a core, then addded greenstuff to get the shape of the lugs. When this has hardened I'll give it a final fettle with file and wet'n'dry. I'll be adding some small hex-nut detailing to the other sides of the lugs, too.

Once all that's done I can work on the housings for the stub-axles, caliper lugs, etc.

That's it for today - more next week.

SB
Old 01-14-2013, 06:33 AM   #184
Greatchart
AF Newbie

SB.
First post here after following the latter part of your 908/03 build and now Moby too.
Just thought that you and others following your scratch builds may be interested in sugru. Not used it yet but have some on order to try out Amazon.co.uk).
From the website:- sugru is the exciting new self-setting rubber that can be formed by hand. It moulds like play-dough, bonds to almost anything and turns into a strong, flexible silicone rubber overnight.
http://sugru.com/about

By all accounts it remains flexible when cured; which may be useful later in the build when you get to detail parts? I'm sure we can all find uses for it but thought you may have a wider audience.
regards Neil
Greatchart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:56 PM   #185
ianc911
AF Enthusiast

Excellent! I love the small bits,

ianc
ianc911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:45 PM   #186
ScratchBuilt
AF Enthusiast

Hello again,

It's a double-size post tonight to make up for last week! Last night I was busy listening to the closing stages of the Rolex 24 at Daytona and had got into a groove with the modelling, so decided to do the update today.

So, here's the next stage in the construction of the front uprights. I've applied greenstuff to all the lug detailing and given it an initial shaping with the file. To mount the stub-axles to the main body of the upright I've built up a central spigot which is pinned through the double-skin. The stub-carrier section is sized to take a 5/16 capscrew (with the head turned down) which will form the basis of the axle - but with more detailing than last time!

Next, I wanted to work on the lower wishbones. I'm using RC car balljoints again, and these are pinned onto 1/8" stryrene tube. To bulk-up the rear arm of the wishbone, I'm adding two lengths of shallow channel section, which will eventually be greenstuffed and shaped to suit - the strength remains in the central tube, though. In time I'll add a small bracket to each arm to connect the front link - the Moby's wishbones are not one-piece.

In amongst all this I've CA'd the ali sleeving into the strut tubes so that I can do a basic assembly of the suspension:

The uprights are still free to move on the strut so I can adjust the positioning, and there's scope to tweak the wishbones too. You might just be able to pick out some of the hex-nut detailing I've added to the uprights, too.

Before continuing with the suspension components, I wanted to reinforce the mountings. So, I added a few gusset plates:

Most of the work in the last few days has been focussed on the steering rack mounting. This structure will connect the two rear pick-ups of the wishbone, and once it's done I can start thinking about the rack itself. First step was to fit the two diagonal chassis tubes - the longer one had been cut and trimmed some time ago - but I added some ali reinforcement inside too. Next was a pair of triangular blocks connectd by a length of 0.75mm stryrene sheet - this is the core of the structure:

Now I could start filling in the gaps. To give a little more depth to the plate detailing I glued thin slices of styrene tube to the inside faces to create the impression of swaged holes:

...and the view from the back:

Two small plates fill-in the top of the structure; I added some small styrene pieces inside to give these plates something to sit on:

Finally, I've started adding plates to the back of the structure - this is not quite as simple as the front face, as I'm having to work with all the different angles:

So, this should be finished off during the next few days, and then I can add some greenstuff all over to fill in the gaps and give it some extra detailing. I've painted the inside of the structure during assembly, as it will be a pain to get in there afterwards - although once the model is finished, you won't see any of this as it will be buried beneath the fuel tank...

That's it for tonight - all up to date. It's actually been quite refreshing to get back into some proper detail work, and the front of the chassis is suddenly looking a little more realistic. I'm going to have to start tackling the wheels soon, though...

Neil - thanks for the Sugru reference. It's not something I've tried myself, but it could have it's uses. As you say, might be worth getting some and giving it a go!

More next week,

SB
Old 01-28-2013, 04:25 PM   #187
puffyrs
AF Regular

Another great update.
puffyrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:27 PM   #188
JesusM
AF Enthusiast

Amazing!! Is posible to have a picture of the complete work, in order to know how it goes?
Thanks in advance!!
JesusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:10 PM   #189
ScratchBuilt
AF Enthusiast

Back to normal this week...

First job was to continue with the rack mounting structure - I added the final panel to the back, and started applying some greenstuff to fill the gaps and give some welding details:

It needs a little more work, but it's looking how I want it. I'll post a photo of the back view next time...

I then returned to the front suspension - the four inboard pivot 'rod ends' were made using my usual technique of wrapping and twisting thin wire. I'm tempted to try bulking them out with a little greenstuff, too, so we'll see how that goes. Then it was a case of checking the geometry, making a few adjustments, and adding some brackets to connect the forward stays to the wishbones:

More greenstuff again, to tidy up the main wishbones and to fill some of the gaps on the uprights:

Finally, I made a start on the steering rack. The main casing will have a further length of ali tubing fitted inside, with the 1/8" diameter rack bar (also ali) inside that. I'll make some separate ends later to give the look of the rubber boots. The mounting blocks are an integral part of the rack casing and have been made from a length of 1/8 x 1/4" box-section with extra styrene added on top. The other components you see here will form the pinion housing :

I'm hoping to get this all together during the next few days, then I'll have to make some clevis ends for the main rack bar, etc, and work out how to connect everything to the uprights. The steering column itself is a job for another time - it has to snake it's way up the front bulkhead, and until that's done, there's no need for the column!

So, that's me up-to-date again. I've bought myself another cutting mat (A2-size!) as my old A3 version just gets covered in rubbish. I'm now wondering if it's possible to replace the carpet in my room with cutting mat material, then it wouldn't matter where I worked! Hmm, best not to, I think...

Have a good week, everyone.

SB
Old 02-03-2013, 03:44 PM   #190
Interceptor1955
AF Newbie

As always great progress you show us SB.
I just love seeing the parts grow in the palm of your hand. You have a special formula for that ? Just kidding...
Thanks for sharing your great skills with us.
I'm curious too what you've got in store for us next time.

Mark
Interceptor1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:05 PM   #191
ScratchBuilt
AF Enthusiast

Hello again...

Continuing with the steering rack, I added two pairs of styrene collars around the pinion output, then applied the greenstuff to smooth it off:

The greenstuff was tidied with a file and then the rack could be assembled, making sure that the pinion output was at the correct angle to suit the bulkhead. I added a little extra detailing with styrene and greenstuff to fill in the gaps, then drilled two small holes in the base of the mounting lugs so I could pin the rack in place:

I haven't got around to sorting out the end detailing for the main case yet - the styrene is prepared, I just need to attack it on the lathe sometime.

Next, I switched to the top mounts for the front suspension. Although the 935 will not be sitting for any length of time with all it's weight on the suspension, I want everything to be secure - I don't want bits getting knocked off every five minutes while I'm building. The chassis frame pinning has limited how far I can pin the RC balljoints into the crosstube, but it's enough to give me a starting point. I glued these in place and set to work on making some styrene reinforcement:

The baseplate here is 0.75mm thick styrene, and with the strip detailing glued in place, I trimmed back the base to match the outer profile. Here it is on the car:

I glued more thin styrene strip underneath, then added another layer of 0.75mm to create the next step of the mounting. This will then have two vertical sections added to it to complete the structure - here I've added the first:

There'll be more greenstuff added later to fill the gaps, and some extra tubes into the chassis frame. Hopefully the whole lot will be capable of surviving the rest of the build! One complication with this work is that the upper frame section has to remain removeable, so I have to be careful when I'm gluing - mustn't get carried away. So far, so good...

That's it for tonight - more next week.

SB
Old 02-11-2013, 02:46 PM   #192
Interceptor1955
AF Newbie

Again great progress SB.
I especially like how you do the fabrication of those little bits and pieces.
I can keep looking and reading for hours in your topic.
Keep fascinating us with your great skills.

Mark
Interceptor1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:39 PM   #193
ianc911
AF Enthusiast

Beautiful work on the steering rack. I'll bet you're dreading the U-joints for the steering column...

ianc
ianc911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:33 PM   #194
ScratchBuilt
AF Enthusiast

Evening all,

More on the front strut top mountings tonight - first, I added the vertical reinforcing plates, then the two short lengths of tube to tie the tops of the frame together:

I then added some thin strip along each of the verticals to create the impression of a folded edge, then applied some greenstuff to fill the gaps and show the welding:

I've also fitted the top two stubs for the X-frame which drops into the nose of the chassis - they're pinned and glued for now, and will be greenstuffed next time.

Moving to the back of the car, I spent some time working on the rear dampers. The main body is 1/4" styrene tube, with various sizes of ali and brass rod sleeved inside to create the rod, etc. As usual, I've made and modified the first one as I've gone along, but will have photos of the components next time when I make the second unit!

The tricky part is juggling the top and bottom mounting points, whilst making sure there's clearance for the driveshaft (which I'm not even thinking of making any time soon) and keeping the damper at a suitable length. I've added a temporary mounting point to the back end of the trailing arm (which is sitting at ride-height) just to give me something to work with, but this will be replaced with a final version when I know everything fits:

The top mounting is now on it's second version - I'm trying out some variations on cutting the bracket from a length of 4.8 x 7.9mm box-section, and it might go to a third spec before I fit it to the frame. When I've got it all where I want it, I'll start making the second set of components for the other side.

Hi Ian - yes, the column joints could be fun, but one plus-point is that they don't necessarily have to be fully functional! I have a feeling I'll be fiddling around with a pile of thin strip and solid-section and making something that looks about right. To be honest, I've not given them much thought so far - I'm trying to focus on the frame and the suspension.

That's it for tonight - more next week.

SB
Old 02-19-2013, 04:51 PM   #195
puffyrs
AF Regular

Coming on well.
puffyrs is offline   Reply With Quote