Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Skyline | Skyline GT-R | Stagea | Laurel > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
General Discussion All general comments or enquiries go here. Website, club oriented, or general Skyline banter.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 06:13 PM   #1
DarkRider85
AF Newbie

Post Military Importing

- Before You Hate Me -
First of all, yes I've read the stickies, but didn't exactly get the information I needed. I've even used Google....... anyways. My question is (yes the same thing everyone else posts...) I want a BNR34 Skyline '99-'01 white, black, grey, blue less than 100k miles and hopefully as cheap as possible.

I'm re-enlisting to be stationed in Japan soon and my friend told me to get a skyline while I was there. Even though I like cars and racing, and being part of the car club scene I didn't know what a skyline was, lol. Now that I done some research and saw they're like damn near impossible to get into the U.S. except unless you have a lot of money and patience. Well unfortunately I have patience but not money.

Perhaps if I find a cheap skyline in Japan and get it... no doubt it won't be US legal, but since I'm in the military, are there any other members here who would know if the military can still ship it to the US without touching it? Or will I have to:

a) buy one to US specs when I get one
b) have to convert it to US specs in accordance with all the DOT, NHTVH or whatever the acronyms are, documentation before allowed to ship it?

...and then get it titled, registered, inspected and all that fun stuff? I know ya'll hate these repetative threads about the skyline, but I really want to know and can't find anything pertaining to the military and shipping standards. If still unable to get any info I suppose I can ask our DMV or somebody when we get back from Iraq. But thought I'd ask skyline fans first.
DarkRider85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 05:24 PM   #2
thegladhatter
AF Enthusiast

Re: Military Importing

Remember it has to be your daily driver. You can't just ship a car you want to collect.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:47 PM   #3
DarkRider85
AF Newbie

Oh trust me... it'll be my daily driver in Japan, US (if/when possible), and probably would be so obsessive I might even sleep in it for a day or two :P lol well maybe not that much but I'd probably end up babying too much *shrugs* that's what we're here for I guess.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:20 PM   #4
CL8
AF Enthusiast

For those of us who are ignorant on the subject, in five sentences or less, what makes the Skyline vehicle so loved, that so many auto enthusiasts want one?

Thanks, Cl8
For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness;
and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
Romans 10:9-10
CL8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:54 PM   #5
DarkRider85
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL8
For those of us who are ignorant on the subject, in five sentences or less, what makes the Skyline vehicle so loved, that so many auto enthusiasts want one?

Thanks, Cl8
The ability to put a few bolt-on mods to reach a max performance with 600hp without needing to replace anything so it doesn't blow up, might be one. The body style, especially on the later R34 models are sexy an has the 2 door coupe look for that sportscar feel and yet also has the backseat room to bring your buddies to a party in your hot ride. What's not to love even with the word "skyline"... it just rolls off your tongue. Last but not least, I think the overall performance and popularity of the vehicle world wide, even being in a popular movie like 2fast 2furious then we see it an icon to be loved.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:30 AM   #6
CL8
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkRider85
The ability to put a few bolt-on mods to reach a max performance with 600hp without needing to replace anything so it doesn't blow up, might be one. The body style, especially on the later R34 models are sexy an has the 2 door coupe look for that sportscar feel and yet also has the backseat room to bring your buddies to a party in your hot ride. What's not to love even with the word "skyline"... it just rolls off your tongue. Last but not least, I think the overall performance and popularity of the vehicle world wide, even being in a popular movie like 2fast 2furious then we see it an icon to be loved.

So I take it 2Fast 2Furious must have been filmed outside the U.S. since the car they used in that movie isn't allowed in the U.S.
Or did they make an exception for the movie?
For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness;
and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
Romans 10:9-10
CL8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:32 AM   #7
DarkRider85
AF Newbie

Well (I'm not attacking you...) despite what many people believe, the skylines CAN be legallized for use in the states, just by NHTHA (or whatever) standards they just can't be imported into the states (makes sense don't it?). Since hollywood is willing to spend lots and lots of useless money (but on a good movie... 3rd one was better) then I'm sure they spared no expense on a skyline to legalize it in the states for use of the movie.

Or if anything they probably contracted it just for "show car" to be used in the movies only and not for actual street use. Probably one of those two options.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:45 PM   #8
drdisque
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to drdisque

The cars used in the movies weren't registered for street use (which is normal practice in that industry - it also means that if you later sell the car on a bill of sale it means someone will either stick it in their garage or a museum because it will be nearly impossible to title and register).
2011 Mazda2 Touring

Past cars:
2007 Mazda 6S 5-door MT
1999 Ford Taurus SE Duratec
drdisque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:31 AM   #9
DarkRider85
AF Newbie

Sorry I should've been clearer by "then I'm sure they spared no expense on a skyline to legalize it in the states for use of the movie."

What I meant was like they were more than likely able to import it for "show or race" or perhaps some special permit/contract to be used for the movie only type deal where they could drive it legally but for filming. Either way its irrelivant heh.

My next question to you guys (military mainly, or anyone else who happend to have done this already): Getting one in Japan either already by US standards/specs/regulations, or covert one over, will that be enough to ship home? Or does the body of the skyline also have to specifically checked, AKA replace with a Kaizo body to fix that issue? If that would even work...?
Old 02-05-2009, 07:27 PM   #10
drdisque
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to drdisque

The problem is that there ARE no US specs to get the car in since such specs do not exist. There is no company that is legally authorized to federalize the R34.

The only success any people are having right now is by having the chassis and drivetrain shipped separately, then rejoining them and titling the car as a kit car/"specially constructed" car in states that allow such a designation.
2011 Mazda2 Touring

Past cars:
2007 Mazda 6S 5-door MT
1999 Ford Taurus SE Duratec
drdisque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 07:37 PM   #11
DarkRider85
AF Newbie

So the reality I'm facing here is the best way is the "kit car" way.... which in either case, to save the most money possible I should go with one of the following plans:

PLAN A:
-Buy Kaizo Unibody ($50k-60k) and order the drivetrain, lights, the engine, and any other missing components to make a complete car and have it titled/registered and all that crap as "Assembled by parts" vehicle.

PLAN B:
-Buy a "real" r34 skyline from japan (hopefully as cheap as possible) and then just have it dissassembled to ship back home as "car parts"

And in either case, for best of health, probably convert or already get in most US specs possible to reduce chances of getting it denied for any registration or "seized or crushed" at Customs. Or something to that effect.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:47 PM   #12
shinta
AF Newbie

im going to be a bit of an ass here, but why a r34 if you go look at the specs the r32 is better, there older but age does not matter if one you know what your doing to take car of them. next to that you can go throw most dealerships and get one for around 80,000.(not talking about the gtr ether) about what you would pay for a viper or a high class sports car, and you dont haft to dill with costumes.

idk where you all live but i got a r32 and i had no problem getting it over here or any thing. there are sites that you can get skyline's that are US ready. you just haft to look. i would post the site where i got mine but its been over 5 years.
shinta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 06:24 PM   #13
DarkRider85
AF Newbie

Well I'm not getting Japan anymore... all slots are filled, but trying for Germany now. Found some V-spec 2 Nurs there for sale, and still wondering if the military shipping thing would still apply?
Old 05-21-2010, 12:50 PM   #14
daniel78621
AF Newbie

i own a skyline r33 i drive it almost every weekend i live in austin tx and the car has all tags and a texas plate oh and a US tittle.
daniel78621 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Skyline | Skyline GT-R | Stagea | Laurel > General Discussion