Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Regal
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 02:58 PM   #1
thetenfold
AF Newbie

1999 Regal Weird Problem

Hi, I have a '99 Regal 3.8 naturally-aspirated.

Problem history (maybe related): about a month ago, it started running really badly and would overheat quite quickly. It wouldn't go over 2500 rpm except in park/neutral it would hit 3000. A mechanic changed the cat conv on it and it seemed to run fine (even a little more power from the clean cat), however the CEL was still on as it was before. I read the codes before and after, and the codes are as follows:

P0102 - Mass Air Flow (MAF) Circuit Low Input
P0443 - Evaporative Emission Control System Purge Control Valve Circuit
P0449 - Evaporative Emission Control System Vent Valve/Solenoid Circuit Malfunction

I don't want to think it's the MAF because we changed it last year for a new one. Then, when the new cat was put in, the guy tested the MAF and he said it worked fine.

Here's the current problem: I started up the car this morning, and it started up fine. But, whenever I tapped the throttle, it would start to rev barely, then stall. In order to touch the throttle and keep it running, I had to put my foot down and stay there. It would start to go down, then (delayed) rev up. So after it stalled, I turned it back on and revved it a little more. As it hit like 2200 rpm, you could hear sloshing as if water were being let through the engine and it would stop after 20 seconds. When it started to slosh, the low coolant light came on.

Any idea at all what could be causing this?
thetenfold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:07 PM   #2
richtazz
stupidity should hurt

Re: 1999 Regal Weird Problem

I would try unplugging the MAF, then see if it runs better to rule it out. If the replacement MAF was from Cardone, there's a good chance it could be bad, as they are bad quality. The two codes other than the MAF could be caused from a vacuum leak, so you may want to check your underhood vacuum lines for cracks.

Still waiting for the "good old days" I'll get to bore my future grandchildren with!
richtazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:09 PM   #3
thetenfold
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by richtazz View Post
If the replacement MAF was from Cardone, there's a good chance it could be bad, as they are bad quality.
I wouldn't suspect so. The part itself was like $230.

Quote:
The two codes other than the MAF could be caused from a vacuum leak, so you may want to check your underhood vacuum lines for cracks.
Yeah I thought about vacuum leaks but never tested yet. I'll do that after it's done snowing and the driveway is plowed out.

Last edited by thetenfold; 02-25-2011 at 06:31 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:19 PM   #4
thetenfold
AF Newbie

Quote:
I would try unplugging the MAF, then see if it runs better to rule it out.
I did that and it runs the same with the MAF disconnected as it does connected. Same problems with the throttle and all.

Quote:
The two codes other than the MAF could be caused from a vacuum leak, so you may want to check your underhood vacuum lines for cracks.
Is there a cheap, safe way to check for leaks if I don't find any visual flaws?
Old 02-25-2011, 11:28 PM   #5
BNaylor
AF Moderator

Do you have the original Upper Intake Manifold (UIM) and Lower Intake Manifold gaskets? Hows the coolant level? The sloshing sound could be coolant being recovered through the reservoir back to the radiator.

'08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP (Dark Slate Metallic) - LS4 5.3L V8
'02 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 - LA1 3400 V6
'99 Buick Regal LS - L36 Series II 3800 V6
'03 Honda CR250R MX - 2 Stroke 250cc
'97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - L67 Series II 3800 V6 Supercharged (Sold)
Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
BNaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 01:29 AM   #6
thetenfold
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNaylor View Post
Do you have the original Upper Intake Manifold (UIM) and Lower Intake Manifold gaskets?
As far as I know, yes. What's the difference between upper and lower? The upper intakes air and has the maf, iac, tps and the lower is what exactly?

Quote:
Hows the coolant level?
I just topped it off actually. It's always had a brownish tint in the reservoir and sludge buildup on the rad cap. I read this could just be a problem with the GM coolant they use that causes sludge but I don't actually know the cause.

Quote:
The sloshing sound could be coolant being recovered through the reservoir back to the radiator.
That makes sense.

I'm still wondering why it has hesitation on throttle. What it does is when I tap the throttle and let off quickly, the rpm goes pretty low and will almost stall. That lasts about one second then it goes up to where it should have.

EDIT: I don't know if this is any useful info, but after I topped off the coolant, it would fluctuate from 1000 to 800 rpm down and up constantly (when cold). Then when the thermostat opened (when it was a quarter way hot), it stayed at a steady 800 rpm idle instead of the usual 1000.

Last edited by thetenfold; 02-26-2011 at 06:45 AM.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:47 AM   #7
BNaylor
AF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetenfold View Post
As far as I know, yes. What's the difference between upper and lower? The upper intakes air and has the maf, iac, tps and the lower is what exactly?
The upper is the plenum where the throttle body connects. Lower is below the UIM and connects to the cylinder heads. Both are common problems on the Series II NA 3800 engine. I replaced mine. It is not of matter of if they will go bad but when. The sludge means an issue with these gaskets.

Let me know if you need pics.

'08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP (Dark Slate Metallic) - LS4 5.3L V8
'02 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 - LA1 3400 V6
'99 Buick Regal LS - L36 Series II 3800 V6
'03 Honda CR250R MX - 2 Stroke 250cc
'97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - L67 Series II 3800 V6 Supercharged (Sold)
Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
BNaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 03:30 AM   #8
DanHogue89
AF Newbie

Hi my Name is Daniel and I know What you problem is its your "mass air flow Sensor" search autozone its around 200. but well worth it. I had the same problem. whenever i started the car it would either rev like crazy or it would putt and die. then i would have to start it again. And every so often it would rev when i press the brake because what the mass air flow sensor does is reads the how much air is coming in the engine and if it thinks that your not getting enough it will rev the engine to make up for it missing the air. it has even died when i came to a stop because like i said it does think its not getting enough air and it will either rev the engine or kill the engine depending on how much air it needs. anyways if you have any questions please ask. Thank You Daniel.
DanHogue89 is offline   Reply With Quote