Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Impala | Impala SS
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 12:17 PM   #1
Solitudeofmind
AF Newbie

01 Impala 3.4L

I've been having problems with my Impala and have searched/heard multiple 'fixes' & suggestions, to no avail.

I have got the SES light on, and took it over to get my codes read (Autozone & Advanced)

Code: P0420 is coming up

Now before I tried anything, I put some Lucas in the gas tank, and it took the light off for about 3 days. And of course it turned off on a Friday evening with no one available to look at my car (for inspection)

Light comes back on, so I decide I'll put more in. Doesn't work this time.

Checked the codes again and 2 codes popped up, P0420 and another dealing with the MAF sensor. Replaced the MAF and only P0420 remained.

Now I replaced the front 02 sensor last year, so I don't think it could have gone bad that fast. I have not replaced the after cat 02 sensor, just due to the fact that the code says its "Bank 1 Sensor 1"

I've checked for any vacuum leaks but couldn't find any.

Some people are telling me to replace the EGR valve; replace 02 sensors; replace catalytic converter; and other various things.

Those 3 were the top 3 'solutions' that I asked/searched.

I tried to take my Cat off to clean it (saw a video saying how) but broke two ratchets trying to do so.

I don't have the money to get a brand new cat installed and was wondering if anyone (with car experience) has any solutions/suggestions.

I just need this light to go away for one day so I can pass inspection and fix it when I get the money
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Other issues that have/haven't been fixed:

Leaking coolant - needs refilled every month - Not fixed
Gas gauge inaccurate - Not fixed
Turn signals/Hazard lights - Fixed
Pinging sound from front driver side tire while making right turns - Not fixed
Replaced spark plugs/wire set - Fixed
Solitudeofmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:20 AM   #2
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Re: 01 Impala 3.4L

with a vehicle not properly maintained you can have these problems...

with coolant leaking into the combution chamber ,this will damage the O2 sensors quickly..intake/head leaks....

the p0420 means the cat converter is not working correctly...If the plug wires/plugs had a failure this would damage the converter...

O2 sensors are good for 100,ooomiles normally on average ..on a vehicle that has good regular maintanence you can get more life out of this component...the same for the converter..

If you are sure that the engine is running correctly and the coolant is not being injested by the engine replace the down stream O2 sensor first..the only reason this sensor is there is to report the cat converter condition ! p0420 is that code !

If the code returns then this would require the converter to be replaced.. be careful with aftermarket converters.get some warrantee with this item if aftermarket...when removing this part you need a torch to heat the hardware to remove...if original and over 100,ooomi I would say it must be bad...

these converters also fail by restricting the exhaust when they get plugged up internally...this would cause poor mileage and Lower engine power...........
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:35 AM   #3
Scrapper
AF Premium User

Re: 01 Impala 3.4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitudeofmind View Post
I've been having problems with my Impala and have searched/heard multiple 'fixes' & suggestions, to no avail.

I have got the SES light on, and took it over to get my codes read (Autozone & Advanced)

Code: P0420 is coming up

Now before I tried anything, I put some Lucas in the gas tank, and it took the light off for about 3 days. And of course it turned off on a Friday evening with no one available to look at my car (for inspection)

Light comes back on, so I decide I'll put more in. Doesn't work this time.

Checked the codes again and 2 codes popped up, P0420 and another dealing with the MAF sensor. Replaced the MAF and only P0420 remained.

Now I replaced the front 02 sensor last year, so I don't think it could have gone bad that fast. I have not replaced the after cat 02 sensor, just due to the fact that the code says its "Bank 1 Sensor 1"

I've checked for any vacuum leaks but couldn't find any.

Some people are telling me to replace the EGR valve; replace 02 sensors; replace catalytic converter; and other various things.

Those 3 were the top 3 'solutions' that I asked/searched.

I tried to take my Cat off to clean it (saw a video saying how) but broke two ratchets trying to do so.

I don't have the money to get a brand new cat installed and was wondering if anyone (with car experience) has any solutions/suggestions.

I just need this light to go away for one day so I can pass inspection and fix it when I get the money
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Other issues that have/haven't been fixed:

Leaking coolant - needs refilled every month - Not fixed
Gas gauge inaccurate - Not fixed
Turn signals/Hazard lights - Fixed
Pinging sound from front driver side tire while making right turns - Not fixed
Replaced spark plugs/wire set - Fixed
i second that on cat as jcat told you.. on your right turns sounds like c/v joint when you fix that i would get whole half/shaft. and check your stable lizer links and bushings.

good luck.....
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote