Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-01-2020, 04:00 AM   #1
Seamus McRae
AF Regular

Tamiya F-2001 fit issue

G'day all
Currently working on Tamiya's F-2001 & am finding an issue as I dry fit the cowling.
With the cockpit half firmly attached to the floor, I place the engine cowling in place & ensure it lines up & beds down correctly over the little rebates on the back of the cockpit tub - thus flush panels. The issue I see is that there is a noticeable gap of approx. 1-2mm at the rear edge of the engine cowling as it meets the floor.
Has anyone else had the same issue?
Can I expect this gap to close once the engine is cemented to the floor?
Seamus McRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 11:54 AM   #2
Seamus McRae
AF Regular

Re: Tamiya F-2001 fit issue

Anyone?
Old 03-21-2020, 04:54 PM   #3
Fmartin360
AF Newbie

Hey there,
Pics would help understanding and attracting attention ;-)
Fmartin360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 02:59 PM   #4
André_Ferreira
AF Newbie

Hi Seamus,
Unfortunately, what you’ve described is a “known problem” of the Tamiya F2001 and the gap will not close when you glue the engine to the floor.
I’ve started mine a long time ago but also got stuck with this issue. What I’ve done might be not an option for you, especially if you want to display the engine…
I choose to glue the engine cover to the monocoque and filling the gap with putty, but even this didn’t cure it 100% as there was still a small gap (I guess you can follow this road until the gap is completely closed, but then you might run into an issue with the small red part which is glued to the gearbox…) so I just added two M2 screws and this finally did the job.

here is the same image as I can't see the one from yesterday anymore.

Last edited by André_Ferreira; 03-31-2020 at 05:20 AM.
André_Ferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 02:53 AM   #5
Seamus McRae
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by André_Ferreira View Post
Hi Seamus,
Unfortunately, what you’ve described is a “known problem” of the Tamiya F2001 and the gap will not close when you glue the engine to the floor.
I’ve started mine a long time ago but also got stuck with this issue. What I’ve done might be not an option for you, especially if you want to display the engine…
I choose to glue the engine cover to the monocoque and filling the gap with putty, but even this didn’t cure it 100% as there was still a small gap (I guess you can follow this road until the gap is completely closed, but then you might run into an issue with the small red part which is glued to the gearbox…) so I just added two M2 screws and this finally did the job.

here is the same image as I can't see the one from yesterday anymore.
Thanks Andre. I appreciate your response. I'm comfortable with the fact now, that at least I know it's not something I've done. Though it does irk me a little bit that all the rather good carbon decal work I've done to items under the engine cowling, will now be invisible after I glue that cowling to the floor pan. My OCD will flat spin if I choose to let the arse end of the cowling just hang in mid air several scale inches above the floor. Unless I can come up with some form of a working 1/20 dzus fastener
Old 12-13-2020, 10:37 PM   #6
Alan2
AF Newbie

Incredible detail, solid match by and large, ideal subject, superb motor. Body parts need to have creases taken out, motor cowl doesn't fit well, wing decals hard to keep without wrinkle.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling