Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Focus | C Max
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-31-2020, 01:00 AM   #1
Cursive
AF Newbie

Hearing a “thoom” sound when turning steering wheel

2012 Focus SEL

Sounds like a THOOM from the inside, I feel like more towards the front passenger side from the driver’s perspective, and it seems to be coming more from the middle while listening to it from the outside, as well as a different kind of clunking sound from the outside. I feel like it was coming from whatever part of the steering system connects the wheels together. Also happens more frequently and noticeably when I turn the wheel slower. If I put some ass into turning the wheel it seems to not want to do it.

The car is a roommate’s and I decided I would grace it with a drive and some maintenance as she has been away with her family because of this virus thing, so the car has been sitting a couple months. She was supposed to be back sooner but it never happened, so I got worried enough about it to do something. It wasn’t doing this before she left.

Is there a way I can figure out what the actual problem is first without just chucking money and parts at it, or taking it to a mechanic? I’m sure there is but what should I do to figure it out myself? I don’t know much about steering systems, especially systems without power steering pumps lol.
Cursive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 04:09 PM   #2
fuelcheck
AF Newbie

Re: Hearing a “thoom” sound when turning steering wheel

What would I do? I would find a shop, like a muffler shop, what would allow me to stay in the driver's seat while the car is lifted. I would take a friend with me, who would move around under the car while I turned the steering wheel. You may have to look around at a few different shops, because most of them are real hinky about letting someone stay in the car while it is on the rack, due to insurance regulations. DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ALLOW ANYONE UNDER THE CAR USING ANY OTHER TYPE OF LIFT, SUCH AS A FLOOR JACK. YOU'RE TOO YOUNG TO DIE, NO MATTER YOUR AGE.
fuelcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 09:34 PM   #3
Cursive
AF Newbie

Re: Hearing a “thoom” sound when turning steering wheel

It was the strut mount and bearings. Totally destroyed. Took the spring off and replacing the broken parts in a couple days.
Cursive is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Focus | C Max