Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cadillac > Cadillac Classics
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 06:03 PM   #1
nick4757
AF Newbie

1968 Cadillac Deville - First Classic Car

Hello,

I am 23 years old and have always had the dream of buying a classic car. Now that I am graduated from college and have some money I think I am about ready to take the leap but wanted some experienced owners advice on whether it is a good time for me considering my situation.

I live in Indiana and make about $35,000 a year with little expenses. I have been really interested in 1968 Cadillac DeVilles. My main concern is that my car would be pretty much an every day driver and I’m not sure that is a good idea for these cars. I have another car that I will have for any time that I have long distances to drive or when there is severe weather. I have a garage that I share with a roommate so it will have a garage to be in but only every other day and a garage at my parents home to keep it in during the winter. Additionally I have NO car knowledge but have a family friend that would be doing all of my maintenance so the only thing I worry about there is finding parts but I feel that that can be an issue no matter how experiences you are at times.

To sum it up, I guess I am just worried about hidden expenses and maintenance that may get me in over my head for where I am in life right now. I have such a respect for these vehicles that I wouldn’t want to get one if it’s not the right time. I am more than willing to put in the time and care for these vehicles, but I don't want to force it if the time is not right.

Thanks so much! Any thoughts are appreciated.
nick4757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 06:20 PM   #2
maxwedge
A990 racer

Re: 1968 Cadillac Deville - First Classic Car

Welcome to AF, a car that old requires a lot of attention, even it was properly mechanically restored. You need someone familiar with that generation car to thoroughly evaluate it before a purchase is made. I owned one when I worked for GM, it was a great car, used lots of premium fuel of course. Poor prior repairs, rust issues, general body condition all can be a red flag. Do your due diligence before diving into this.
Old 06-14-2019, 02:33 PM   #3
nick4757
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwedge View Post
Welcome to AF, a car that old requires a lot of attention, even it was properly mechanically restored. You need someone familiar with that generation car to thoroughly evaluate it before a purchase is made. I owned one when I worked for GM, it was a great car, used lots of premium fuel of course. Poor prior repairs, rust issues, general body condition all can be a red flag. Do your due diligence before diving into this.
Do you have any recommendations for when a vehicle is in another state? I have a guy who could look at it for me if the vehicle was in town and I could certainly send him pictures, but you would probably want an expert present before you buy. I didn't know if you have been in a similar situation or if you could possibly pay someone from a local auto shop to take a look at it or something like that.
nick4757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 03:03 PM   #4
maxwedge
A990 racer

There are nationwide pre purchase appraisal companies, you could find one nearest to where the car is. Also make sure the seller has the proper paperwork required by your state to register the car.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cadillac > Cadillac Classics