Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-17-2003, 03:23 PM   #1
mike united
AF Enthusiast

Exclamation Testors

Bought a testors rattle can today, thought id give it a go since i couldnt be bothered waiting 2 weeks for an order from HLJ. Anyway.......i have done two "lightish" coats but it seems to come out of the can a bit too quickly for my liking, the whole car was covered after "trying to spray lightly" a couple of coats. Very slow at drying too. Also seems to be more orange peel than with Tamiyas paint. Gonna give it a couple more coats in the morning.
Here's to hoping that my Toyota Supra sprayed with Testors black is gonna be a great paint job.
PS, any tips on the color of the interior for a black Supra would also be useful.
Cheers, Mike.

mike united is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 03:30 PM   #2
nervestrikes
AF Enthusiast

With testors you only have to wait about 30 min in between coats. Try standing alittle further away when you spray than you would normally and let the mist coat the body until it looks shiny wet but not drippy. Once you achieve that let it dry completely and it will give you a glossy finish with out any orange peel. I only used testors untill I got up the courage to use Tamiya cause with tamiya somtimes you need to wax so I wasn't ready for that and testors filled the void until then. Good Luck.
Old 06-17-2003, 03:52 PM   #3
mike united
AF Enthusiast

Right thanks.......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mvc-001s.jpg (36.9 KB, 159 views)
Old 06-18-2003, 07:12 AM   #4
nervestrikes
AF Enthusiast

Hopefully you had some luck with the paint. Post some pictures of this one and lets see how it turned out.
Old 06-18-2003, 07:41 AM   #5
BaNe
AF Enthusiast

AIRBRUSH IT ON! <----works the best even with rattle cans.

Faster and Faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

CompletelyStock except 17 Enkei RS6, Megan racing Downpipe-3" piping-megan racing muffler. no cat. K&N filter.
BaNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 09:41 AM   #6
hobbes874
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to hobbes874
I've had the same problem I used testors on my first model and with two coats the panel lines started vanishing and bubbles would appear. Now on my second model i'm going to use tamiyas paint

All Newbies please read the F.A.Q's
"We are defined by the choices we make." -Fight Club
hobbes874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 10:12 AM   #7
Veyron
AF Fanatic

Smile

It's very hard to get a decent spray job from a Testors can, it is very cheap paint which has most of the drying agents removed to make it safe for young hobbiest, therefor it dries slow and tends to run. Another characteristic of it is that it builds a thick layer quickly and doesn't shrink as much as lacquer(Tamiya) when it dries, only about 100% as opposed to 300% for lacquer. It also doesn't dry as hard unless it is cured in a food dehydrator or some other heated air system, or a drop or two of automotive enamel hardener is mixed in.
Old 06-18-2003, 02:15 PM   #8
hobbes874
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to hobbes874
A testors can runs for around $3 where as a Tamiya can is about $5. Personally I would rather spend the extra two dollars and get a better paint job. Good thing I've learned my lesson lol

All Newbies please read the F.A.Q's
"We are defined by the choices we make." -Fight Club
hobbes874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 03:08 PM   #9
mike united
AF Enthusiast

Thumbs down

Right..........THAT IS IT !!!!

Dumped the F*****G Testors, dont give a F**K what it cost !!!
I had sprayed my Supra again this morning with a light coat and im telling you ive never seen so much orange peel in my entire life, then i gave it a good blast ( like one does with Tamiya's rattle's ) and it looked great. After about an hour i took a peek at it.....my first impression was that it was looking good but when i got it into the light well i could hardly see the panel lines the paint was so thick. Iv'e thrown the whole thing into some caustic soda for the night, tomorrow it will be "back down to the bare bones" and ive ordered two rattle cans of Tamiya gun metal.
I will never again in my entire life buy a Testors spray can, Goodnight...................

Mike.

Old 06-18-2003, 05:11 PM   #10
Nobbys Nuts
AF Regular

I use both Testors and Tamiya and don't really have a preference for either. I like them both and you have to use them both differently.
I agree that Tamiya will give a Novice painter a reasonable finish straight off but so will Testors if used correctly.
I was always bought up to beleive that a LIGHT coat was exactly that - 70 - 80 percent body or primer still showing through the first coat.
If your body lines are disappearing after 2 coats you are plastering it not painting it.
As posted earlier hold the can further away from the model - 10 to 12 inches and pass your hand over the model faster with the can.
All of these models in the pics attached are painted with Testors and have between 5 and 7 coats on with no clear over the top. I haven't even polished them. Yet you can still see all the panel lines quite clearly.

Nobbys Nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 05:13 PM   #11
Nobbys Nuts
AF Regular

Damn red chev didn't come out very clear when reduced.
Old 06-18-2003, 05:18 PM   #12
mike united
AF Enthusiast

Hmmmmmmmm, nice looking cars & nice paintwork........
Guess tamiya make things a little too easy for us sometimes and im just used to tamiya rattle cans, what with the drying time Etc.
I had not only painted it twice.......i had painted it several times the day before too as stated at the begining of the thread.
Thank's, Mike.
Old 06-19-2003, 03:17 AM   #13
Nobbys Nuts
AF Regular

Apology

Hi Mike United.
I most sincerely apologize for my error in the previous post. I did not reread your original post when I should have and seen that you did put on more than 2 coats.
Once again I sincerely apologize.
And thank you for your kind comments on the photos of my models. I only wish they did the models justice.
regards
Tony

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling