Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > DeLorean > DMC-12
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 10:42 AM   #1
BrianCman
AF Newbie

What's this Delorean worth?

I have found a 1982 Delorean with 12k miles. It is not being advertised, and I stumbled upon it. The car is obviously pretty dirty, but the interior and engine look nice. It seems to run well too. It has been painted red unfortunately, but the paint job was done well. Any idea what this car is worth (low-end and high-end estimate)? Thanks.
Old 10-23-2005, 06:16 PM   #2
Marc-OS
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to Marc-OS Send a message via AIM to Marc-OS
Looking at anywhere between $15-25k I would say. Hard to say without looking at it.

4/8/04 - My CRX is officially dead, RIP Lucy
Old 10-23-2005, 08:53 PM   #3
Heep
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Heep Send a message via MSN to Heep
Re: What's this Delorean worth?

Only very tatty examples of DMC-12s go for under $10K, and only outrageously good examples go for over $30K, so for a good, solid car with low miles, I would agree with Marc on a valuation of around $20K-$25K. However, painted cars typically go for less than their stainless counterparts, so it may be worth closer to $15K-$20K.

Old 10-23-2005, 10:20 PM   #4
BrianCman
AF Newbie

Thanks for the estimates, guys. I'm going to take a look at it again this week. For a Delorean that has been painted like this one, is it possible to remove the paint and return it to the beautiful stainless skin?

Also, you mention only the worst examples going for under $10k. What is the lowest price you've ever seen a Delorean sell for (assuming it has never been wrecked or flooded, etc.)?
Old 10-23-2005, 11:23 PM   #5
Heep
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Heep Send a message via MSN to Heep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianCman
Thanks for the estimates, guys. I'm going to take a look at it again this week. For a Delorean that has been painted like this one, is it possible to remove the paint and return it to the beautiful stainless skin?

Also, you mention only the worst examples going for under $10k. What is the lowest price you've ever seen a Delorean sell for (assuming it has never been wrecked or flooded, etc.)?
In a word, no. Once the car has been painted, it's basically impossible to strip the paint and retain the brushing that the panels had when they left the factory, as far as I know. Also, you have to question why the car was painted in the first place - were the panels damaged and therefore painted over rather than replaced?

Personally, I like the painted cars, but they do detract from the character of the car somewhat.

I can't remember any actual low prices, but I recall having seen a couple go for $7K or $8K before - usually in need of quite a lot of work. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up costing more than already good ones in the long run.

Old 04-06-2006, 07:56 PM   #6
TransFukinAm
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to TransFukinAm Send a message via MSN to TransFukinAm

well, you might beable to. i do collision repair, and if you try REALLY hard and go through about 5 trillion diffrent grits with a D/A you could... start with a really low grit, most likely around 120, and finish up with about 600 grit. make sure to go really easy with changing grits, like 120 - 200- 220-320 and so on, you would be SO better off taking it to a body shop and telling them what you want. if they are on the competant side, then they should be able to do it.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:52 PM   #7
ZL1power69
GM S-Series Mod

with enough time and money anything can be done. but yes the car can be restored to its original stainless. Dan D. from delorean mid-atlantic did so on his car;
http://www.deloreanmidatlantic.com/s...ch/evildan.htm
Exterior Mods: Just Right

1987 Buick Turbo T Dark Red
Low 11 sec sleeper
.030 4.1 block, PT6262E, & other odds and ends....
My Cardomain
Old 06-07-2006, 10:50 PM   #8
andrew landon
AF Regular

check for cocaine in it. that is why they took deloreans off of the market off of the
Old 11-16-2006, 02:15 PM   #9
poindextrose15
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heep
In a word, no. Once the car has been painted, it's basically impossible to strip the paint and retain the brushing that the panels had when they left the factory, as far as I know. Also, you have to question why the car was painted in the first place - were the panels damaged and therefore painted over rather than replaced?

Personally, I like the painted cars, but they do detract from the character of the car somewhat.

I can't remember any actual low prices, but I recall having seen a couple go for $7K or $8K before - usually in need of quite a lot of work. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up costing more than already good ones in the long run.
Well if you want the factory brushing without damaging paint , just sodablast it, basically put baking soda in a sandblaster. oh and the car might be worth over 20k when paint removed, considering that there isnt any damage underneath. (then u cud buy another panel frum dmc of texas) good luk!
Old 11-16-2006, 02:20 PM   #10
poindextrose15
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew landon
check for cocaine in it. that is why they took deloreans off of the market off of the
You moron, CHECK THE FACTS, They couldnt charge him with it cause all the evidence they had didnt point to him but more towards a setup. search it, somewhere he says that the company was bankrupt before the setup. the setup has little to do with the cars other than GM was scared of the ingenuity of the stainless steel body. Plus JZD didnt put cocaine in the cars DUMBASS!!!!!!!
Old 04-13-2007, 03:59 AM   #11
mr_mushroom
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to mr_mushroom

though i may have worded it better, i agree.
please actually go read some car history.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:13 AM   #12
myronl
AF Newbie

Here is a site that tracks the actual prices paid for cars. So far, I only have 1 price for the DMC-12, but I hope to get more.

Link removed by Moderator]

Last edited by '97ventureowner; 11-02-2007 at 12:57 PM.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:58 PM   #13
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Please check the dates of the last post and avoid posting in those over 90 days old. Closed.

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > DeLorean > DMC-12