Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 10:27 PM   #1
Jarrado
AF Newbie

87 grand am. Starts. Combustion. Won't continue to spray fuel.

So I have this 87 grand am with a bunch new parts. 40k on the motor. Compression is good. Will run if I pour in fuel.

Thr car will turn over, start, spark and run a second. I can even keep it running if I spray fuel manually down the throttle body and it runs pretty good. Just no spray from the injector after the initial tarting spray. Tried swapping relays. Fuel pump is pumping. Sending unit was new. Just up and started behaving this way one day. Would start and run a few minutes. Then got worse and wouldn't run.

I'm out of ideas for it. This is a back burner project as I have a car right now and another Civic with idle issues after a near overheat. Any ideas that I could do that are cheap? Not looking to start buying random parts in a parts musical chairs lol. Thanks.
Jarrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:42 PM   #2
harleyguy
AF Regular

Re: 87 grand am. Starts. Combustion. Won't continue to spray fuel.

Have you checked fuel pressure?
harleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:39 PM   #3
Jarrado
AF Newbie

I have not but the pump is a new Bosch and it's getting fuel. Does the sprayer need a certain pressure to open? It's a simple one injector system.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:44 PM   #4
Jarrado
AF Newbie

I think parts that are pretty new and I know work were, coils and coil assembly, crank POS sensor, fuel pump/relay/sending unit, throttle position sensor, spark plugs, plug wires, alternator, battery. These were all replaced just before. As far as I can tell it has fuel, lots of spark, spark plugs aren't fouled, exhaust is clear, it's getting air..... I thought maybe the injector maybe went bad. I did pull a bit of particulate out of the injector..... Ah I replaced the fuel filter too.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:34 PM   #5
Tech II
AF Fanatic

This the 2.5 Iron Duke 4 cylinder?

First thing I would do is attach a noid light to the injector harness and see if it flashes, while cranking....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:56 PM   #6
Jarrado
AF Newbie

I believe so. Its not a quad 4. It does while cranking. Stops when engine dies.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:34 PM   #7
Tech II
AF Fanatic

OK, if the noid light is flashing while cranking, then either the pressure is bad, flow is restricted or you have a bad injector.......

You have replaced the pump, so pressure should be ok, around 10-13 PSI...would help if you can verify pressure....did you replace the sock also? Sure you had a good connection at the pump, where the pump attaches to the sender....have seen them leak if you re-used that plastic connector instead of a hose clamp....

You replaced the fuel filter, so unless there is a kink in a line somewhere, there should be no restriction...

Kind of brings it down to the injector.....

Now we know the vehicle runs if you add fuel/spray carb cleaner into the throttle body, so it is definitely fuel delivery....getting the correct adapters for checking fuel pressure can be a hassle......I use to have a special tool....you remove the fuel filter, and insert this tool in it's place, and attach the fuel lines directly to it....in the middle it had a port to attach a generic fuel gage.....I don't even know if I can find it, it's been so long.....your other option is getting a setup that will attach to the fuel line going to the throttle body(the expensive fuel pressure kits have just about every adapter imaginable.....maybe you can rent one at a local auto parts store)....like I said, if you can verify fuel pressure, and the noid light flashes, it's the injector.....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 03:32 PM   #8
xeroinfinity
out saving the world

i'd also say the injector is bad since you said you pulled stuff out of it. lol
but make sure theirs not another fuel filter under the hood could b clogged.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:02 PM   #9
MikeCStig
AF Regular

Sorry, but I feel an insatiable need to point out the elephant in the room. If you have a 29 year old Grand Am that still runs, drives, and passes inspection, you are in possession of a miracle no matter how low the mileage is. Also if you have a 29 year old Grand Am, start saving money to get another car because something is bound to go horribly wrong; maybe next year, maybe tomorrow, just be ready because you're on borrowed time.
"Ok, systems check; the battery is discharging, the oil temperature is very high, the oil pressure is very low, the engine temperature is off the end of the scale, I'm running out of petrol... but the clock is correct!"
-James May, in an old, worn out Lamborghini purchased for less than £10,000.
MikeCStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 10:26 AM   #10
xeroinfinity
out saving the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCStig View Post
Sorry, but I feel an insatiable need to point out the elephant in the room. If you have a 29 year old Grand Am that still runs, drives, and passes inspection, you are in possession of a miracle no matter how low the mileage is. Also if you have a 29 year old Grand Am, start saving money to get another car because something is bound to go horribly wrong; maybe next year, maybe tomorrow, just be ready because you're on borrowed time.
well maybe not.....
its a simple and easy to work on car, repair costs are also very cheap.

And not all states do inspections. So wouldnt be any different than a new car except its cheaper to diagnose and repair than a newer car.

Only things really dangerous IMO with older cars is brake lines rusting out and causing an accident.
Its no different than someone who fixes up and uses any older cars/trucks, from Camero's to a Vega, other than its not worth a lot of money restored.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:50 PM   #11
Jarrado
AF Newbie

Well, so much for that. Ended up being a wiring issue, but around the blm riots my car got destroyed by someone.... Including my civic I.bought. bought a corolla so this car is KIA and headed to pull apart.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:01 PM   #12
xeroinfinity
out saving the world

that sucks ! i'd sue the city for allowing such activities to happen. lol

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM