Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)
240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars) The original Z cars - ones that started it all.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 12:20 AM   #46
longlivetheZ
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to longlivetheZ Send a message via MSN to longlivetheZ
Re: Re: 1986 300 Zx specs needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92rs25th
I already bought a 3" intake filter x 10" long. I put some platinum plugs , working on fabbin up my msd 8 mm wires , measurements suck =D crimping is boring too. I will probably throw a 6al on it too sometime this weeked and cut the cat out. If I am going to run with no cat , then there really isn't a need to get 3" exhaust as there is less than half back pressure after removal. I will just get some upgraded muffler that will keep it silent. Probably get a hypertech rotor , msd cap if one is availiable for our cars and leave mods there for a while.

Also , Has anyone fabbed up some performance headers for the Z ? And...last but not least , Are the turbos upgradable ? Ie : Can we throw a t3 - t4 on ?
Plenty of turbo upgrades. Check out www.jimwolftechnology.com for all kinds of turbos for the Z31.

Why are you fabbing your own wires? Go buy a set...they make those for the Z31...

Get a 3" exhaust...take the cat out, but get a 3" too...when it comes to turbo cars, good flow is good...better flow is better...the turbo already creates enough back pressure...don't need 1.5" piping to deal with too...cat or no cat...

There are no headers on the turbo Z31...the turbo bolts directly to the exhaust manifold and there's just a downpipe after the turbo.

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. --Benjamin Franklin
longlivetheZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 12:22 AM   #47
stephenp
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to stephenp
Re: 1986 300 Zx specs needed

yeah i gotta drop some bearings inmy bottum i spun mine its shitty when you actually feel your car brake at the same time you let off the gas
somehow yes you can feel the bearing singe or maybe its just me but i did before it even started to tick i was like shit my buddy was like what then it ticked i was like that he said OH that i aid oh well time to go na pistons lol
stephenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 12:25 AM   #48
92rs25th
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to 92rs25th

Yeah , I don't need any crazy amount of boost or anything for a while. I just want to get a upgraded waste gate , blow off valve , maybe a boost controller , turbo timer for longevity purposes and a few electrical / engine mods here and there. I've been waiting like 3 years to get a turbo vehicle so I'm going to take some time to get to understand all the shit difference between things. I had a 88 prelude turbod then it died , I trashed it because I know nothing of turbo compression / engines or turbos. So this time I hope to know more for the future with them plus build mine up in the process !

1992 RS Camaro 383.
2004 Mazda 6.
2003 Subaru Legacy GT Limited.
1984 Nissan 300 ZX
1993 Mazda MX-3 ( Newest addition to my collection. )

http://photobucket.com/albums/y187/ohjiro
92rs25th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 12:27 AM   #49
stephenp
AF Enthusiast

and the down pipe being all is how it should stay lol just kiding vent thast out the side just behind the front tire lol i fab my own to but i make mine all equal length and crimping i can do 12 ends in under 20 minutes and that counts finding my nips but i geuss after doing them for about 6 cars you kinda get the hang of it and yes everything is equal length lol
Old 04-16-2005, 12:29 AM   #50
longlivetheZ
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to longlivetheZ Send a message via MSN to longlivetheZ
Re: Re: 1986 300 Zx specs needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92rs25th
Yeah , I don't need any crazy amount of boost or anything for a while. I just want to get a upgraded waste gate...
Why are you going to upgrade the wastegate? Do you know what a wastegate does?

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. --Benjamin Franklin
longlivetheZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 12:29 AM   #51
92rs25th
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: 1986 300 Zx specs needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by longlivetheZ
There are no headers on the turbo Z31...the turbo bolts directly to the exhaust manifold and there's just a downpipe after the turbo.

I know it's like stock manifolds but what I was wondering if anyone has better ones , header style ?

I've been mostly into raw engine and muscle cars all my life. THis is a different swing O.o

Also , Should I worry about anything internally after getting a manual boost ?

Also , Wtf can I put a gawd damn intercooler ? It's so tiny in that radiator compartment.

1992 RS Camaro 383.
2004 Mazda 6.
1984 Nissan 300 ZX

Old 04-16-2005, 12:30 AM   #52
92rs25th
AF Enthusiast

Eh..Doesn't the waste gate create he pressure ? Aren't the upgrades tunable as well ?

My buddy has a GN and he went from stock and got a 25 psi wastegate or whatever O.o

1992 RS Camaro 383.
2004 Mazda 6.
1984 Nissan 300 ZX

Old 04-16-2005, 12:34 AM   #53
92rs25th
AF Enthusiast

I know I want a upgraded blow off valve because anything OEM = made to fail when least expected. Plus I want to protect my turbo from compression surges. Also , I need a 'real' intake set up. Polished aluminum intake =D less weight , looks nice , smoother flowing air , cooler temps , lighter. What suggestions do you guys have from personal buys and which is best ?

1992 RS Camaro 383.
2004 Mazda 6.
1984 Nissan 300 ZX

Old 04-16-2005, 12:43 AM   #54
92rs25th
AF Enthusiast

Also , I seen the spearco doesn't make that intercooler anymore , they discontinued the item - wtf. oh well , someone else will have one I guess.

1992 RS Camaro 383.
2004 Mazda 6.
1984 Nissan 300 ZX

Old 04-16-2005, 12:45 AM   #55
stephenp
AF Enthusiast

dont try and exeed like 12.5 psi and expect it to last more than a 1/4 mile hell dont go to 11 psi and expect to last more than a week or 2 lol unless the proper mods (or mods that would sufice) are done to compensate just dont exceed 8 psi without a few other mods first
go and skim through thwe z31 site
this will tell youi a good deal to start with just skim it if your too lazy to read ithttp://www.z31.com/faq/turbo.faq.shtml
at the bottom it tells you limits of stock components
Old 04-16-2005, 12:48 AM   #56
stephenp
AF Enthusiast

i want to know aboiut the intake to i need to get one when i get mine glued back together
and if not maderel bent 3 " 1 45degree bend and one 90 and about 1 foot of straight nd your good just find those peices and the couplers and you got it if you find them at a GOOD price let me know
Old 04-16-2005, 12:51 AM   #57
stephenp
AF Enthusiast

bov its a spring you gonna snap it??? is it gonna stick ???? go mod the stock one for higher psi so itll hold a good 10 and set you boost for 8
Old 04-16-2005, 12:51 AM   #58
92rs25th
AF Enthusiast

Lol , I was just there reading up about turbos , I'm just going to do one thing at a time , I can't afford to be with out the car so I will stay within stock limits for time being. Reason why I am making sure on every little detail from you guys who have tinkered with this car before. It's just my own safety , not stupidity =P but yeah , I'll get a blow off kit and a better intake set up sometime within the next few weeks. From there I will just go with spark for the next month ( I have a shit load of bills or I would have it up to 250 + by this weekend ) then from there the whole fuel pump thing. By the way which is really friggin easy to do since it's right there in the rear , middle of the car. I stripped my car out today cause the carpet was shot and found the lovely 3 point cancer system of the Z. Lol - Right behind the seats in the corners and that rear driver side bank behind the wheel well , or storage compartment , whichever. Those are first before anything. Also , I am going to rhino line the interior and never use carpet again =D Also , the dash is screwed so I am going to experiment with it.

But yeah , as I said for the next week - 2 to a month , I will just go with a better blow off valve , better intake and maybe some more weight reduction through out the vehicle.

Oh - I'm making the wires because I bought these for a firebird I had but I never got to completing the firebird and sold it , found these in the closet so instead of wasting them , I am using them. Just some heli core wires with out crimped ends. using the stock boost though O.o

Nick -

1992 RS Camaro 383.
2004 Mazda 6.
1984 Nissan 300 ZX

Old 04-16-2005, 01:05 AM   #59
ExTrEmEDrIfT
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ExTrEmEDrIfT Send a message via MSN to ExTrEmEDrIfT Send a message via Yahoo to ExTrEmEDrIfT

yah ya shouldnt be doing these performance mods without fully understanding what the purpose and consequences can be ...

only then ya should know if you can use it and modding a wastegate or getting an aftermarket wastgate only makes it so it produces more boost before the wastegate opens and bleeds off the exces boost produced .. the spring inside the wastegate is rated at a certain psi so when that gets exceeded tha wastegate opens ...

dude rhino lining is heavy if you wanna modd ur Z tahst gonna be alotta extra added weight over the carpet i would eitehr get replacement carpet or stay bare for the weight reason unless you dont care about it..

Past Z Car Crew

[The Enemy Of Your Enemy is Your Friend]

>>Keep Your Friends close : But Keep Your Enemies Even Closer <<
ExTrEmEDrIfT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 01:09 AM   #60
92rs25th
AF Enthusiast

It will be just the floors. Not the entire car. and only the floorboars actually under the drivers and passangers feet. Not literally the whole car. Just a 2X2 patch on each side. the rest will stay bare through out the car.

Yeah , I don't want to put like a few hundred into mods and they kill my car , that would really pop my blow off valve XD

1992 RS Camaro 383.
2004 Mazda 6.
1984 Nissan 300 ZX

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)