Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tacoma
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 07:32 PM   #1
brandon_k_w
AF Newbie

How high of mileage is considered worrisome for Tacomas?

Hi, the only Tacomas that are in my price range will have some hefty miles on them (60k-70k miles and up). Is there a website that will show common problems with tacomas with this high of mileage? I don't want to buy a Tacoma, only to have something wear out because of high mileage, then having to spend $2,000 to fix it. TY

Example:

Looking at a 2002 Tacoma Prerunner Regular Cab from the dealership, and has 75,000 miles on it. Cost is $12,998, but I can probably knock off a grand. Is that too many miles? I'd like to drive this truck for like 5 years
brandon_k_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 05:10 AM   #2
wrigley123
AF Regular

Rule of thumb for mileage on a vehicle when you are looking at used cars is roughly 12,000 to 15,000 miles per year. The vehicle you are looking at had anywhere from 25,000 to 30,000 miles per year put on it. Based on industry standards, that's excessive miles. But you're talking about a Toyota! I work with a guy that has 340,000 miles on his tacoma and the only major component that was replaced was the clutch. Any mechanical component is subject to failure at any given time. I have a 2003 Tacoma that I purchased brand new. I currently have 45,000 miles on it. I drive 100 mile per day round trip back and forth to work. I just recently had a new rear differential and brand new transmission installed by the dealer at no cost to me. The tranny went bad at 41,000 miles. If the tranny would have went bad at 61,000 miles, I would have been SOL on the warranty and had to pay for a new tranny out of my pocket. There are no "for sures" when it comes to any vehicle. For that year vehicle and that amount of miles, the price sounds about right. See how much you can get them to come down on the price. If you like it, buy it! Good luck.

Mike
wrigley123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 03:18 PM   #3
tacoma man.
AF Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to tacoma man.
Re: How high of mileage is considered worrisome for Tacomas?

my 99 has 136k on it, still running like new. only thing i have replaced is the starter and battery.
Old 02-18-2005, 10:43 PM   #4
Brian R.
Resident Chemist

Send a message via Yahoo to Brian R.

Mileage on the highway are very easy miles. You could probably put 600,000 miles on a car if you only drove on the expressway across country and you changed your fluids regularly. 100,000 miles are alot of miles if you are only in the city and never really warm up your engine.

There is no set answer. Alot of it depends on how well the truck is maintained.
Brian R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 06:05 PM   #5
chester9ll
AF Newbie

Re: Re: How high of mileage is considered worrisome for Tacomas?

one of my buddy's has a 91 or 92 tacoma and he just put 600,000 miles on it. runs good tranny rear end and eng are still all original. he calls it his tankota.
chester9ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 11:41 PM   #6
Brian R.
Resident Chemist

Send a message via Yahoo to Brian R.

The 3.4 L V6 is a great engine. It will run until you kill it.

"What we've got here is a failure to communicate"
Brian R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 12:54 PM   #7
TRDTacomaGuy
AF Newbie

Check out the 2000's

Hello all.... First of all, I have a 2000 tacoma sr5 TRD that I purchased brand new ( 3 miles on it and I must say that since day one its been the best vehicle I've ever owned..

I know thats alot to say about any car/truck but its true.

My tacoma has 120k on it ... most highway.. but alot of 4x4 miles from colorado 4wheeling .. and I have had NO problems with it AT ALL!

I change the oil every 7-10k ( used full synthetic since 4k miles on the engine, and just had to change the timing belt at 115k which was totally expected .. but really folks ... thats all.. still got the original brakes on it !!...

thats enough about my tacoma .. back to your issue... NO TACOMA HAS TOO MANY MILES ( Pre-2001) the 2001-current models have too many problems to cover them all... they really broke the mold when they made the 2000!!! ALSO PRERUNNERS ARE FOR FOOLS probably not going to win over any prerunner fans but... Without 4x4 you might as well buy an old EL-Camino... cause its not a REAL toy truck without 4x4 !!!! ( you dont buy a tacoma for good Gas Mileage )

I would recommend that you search out a 1998-2000 TRD SR5 ( not Pre-Runner with around 100k that has allready had the timing belt service. ( about a $450.00 service at the dealership) You will be Very HAPPY !!

Just my $.02......... backed up by 5yrs of service free Driving !!
TRDTacomaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 08:26 PM   #8
tacoma_dan
AF Newbie

i got a 2000 prerunner 2.7 cab and 1/2 about a year ago with 110,000 miles on it, first i researched where the vehicle came from because if it was 110,000 miles here in puerto rico i would never buy it for any price. It came from Florida though, knowing how florida roads are i bought it with confidence that it was minor wear and tear. The tacoma is practiccally new. I know it had a lot of hauling done cause the guy that had it before worked in construction but it was a great buy.
tacoma_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 08:35 PM   #9
Ando140
AF Newbie

I had a '96 tacoma I bought in 2000 with 86K miles on it. Changed the oil about every 3K miles and lubed the chassis about once every six months. The only problem I ever had with it was the parking brake would stick sometimes, it just needed a new brake cable. Other than that, it was great until I rolled it a couple months ago with 142K miles on it. Even after rolling it, I was able to drive it to the garage, tough little truck.
Ando140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 12:54 PM   #10
badboy916
AF Newbie

i have a 1987 4-runner and a 2003 tacoma....toyota trucks are built to last...best trucks made...i would have no problem buying one with 50-75 thousand miles on it as long as i knew it got serviced regularly....esp oil changes
badboy916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 03:58 PM   #11
96Tacoma22
AF Newbie

mileage

I bought my 96 Tacoma 4wd V6 new. I drive 70 miles round trip M-F and have about 145,000 miles on the truck now. I change the fluids every 3000-4000 miles, have changed out the rear differential fluid and transmission fluids, and have had a complete tuneup probably twice now. The thing runs great. I am on my second set of Goodyear RTS tires and have plenty of tread life left in them.
96Tacoma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 09:03 PM   #12
1410mustangiii
AF Newbie

Hi, I bought a 2001 Prerunner Double Cab V6, with automatic, new in April 2001. Currently I have over 115,000 miles on it. The only item of repair has been relining the brakes at 98,000 miles and a water pump at 78,000 miles. Still have the original spark plugs, no rattles despite the miserable roads here in Louisiana, and still get an average 18.5 mpg. I change the oil every 7,500 miles on average since I drive a lot of highway miles. I am confident it will go at least 200,000 miles, which it better because I can't afford a new car with 3 kids soon to be in college. Toyotas run nearly forever if maintained so don't be afraid of 75,000 miles or so. (Of course bring the mileage up to whoever you're buying it from, they probably think the vehicle is about ready to fall apart!)
1410mustangiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 06:24 PM   #13
atombob
AF Newbie

I sell my Toyota's when they get over 250,000 miles. My friend keeps his to almost 300,000 though by then it's getting pretty ratty. 90K on a Toyota really isn't much mileage as long as it's been taken care of. Like anything if you abuse it, it won't last as long.

I try to always use the factory oil filter as well and change my drain plug gasket every time. Also I tend to always run a TRD air filter. Other than that I just drive it and keep it tuned.
atombob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 07:28 PM   #14
badasstour
AF Enthusiast

well i have a 85ford f250 with 400000 miles on it until i ran over a hiden tree stumb and killed the tranny but still starts and moves it has a stick in i this truck has been in my famliy for 20 years and very well taken care of like never had normal matenance and was beat for the last 10 years years of its life with like five oil changes dont use a drop of oil doesnt leak putting in a drive train out 95 f250 with a five speed
badasstour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 01:24 AM   #15
GlocksRock
AF Newbie

60K-70K miles is a fart in the wind for a properly maintained Tacoma. That regular cab you looked at had the 2.7L, a bulletproof engine. If I were in the market for a Tacoma I would try my hardest to buy from a private seller who can furnish service records, plus it would be cheaper than from a stealership. Where do you live Brandon?
GlocksRock is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tacoma