Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars) The original Z cars - ones that started it all.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 09:37 PM   #16
DeleriousZ
AF Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to DeleriousZ
Re: rwd??

wow you guys are great! i just wish i could find a Z32 that's for sale around here... i think i'm going to have to travel to calgary (8 hour drive) just to find what i'm looking for (well, i guess it is pretty rare!) i Will own one before this year is through! the bad thing is tho, i'm only 18, and i don't think most salesmen would treat me with very much respect, let alone allow me take one of these beautiful cars for a test drive. maybe after i drop a few stacks o hundreds on the table they'll take me seriously.. bling bling ack, would like to write more.. must go paint house.. peace
ZedEx Crew Member #6
1988 300zx turbo 5spd. 3" mandrel exhaust, filter, afco rad, e-fan, poly engine mounts, mbc at 8.5 psi, turboxs rfl-h bov, gutted plenum, etc.

blown turbo, under construction.. gt35 coming.
DeleriousZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 09:48 PM   #17
freakonaleash1187
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to freakonaleash1187 Send a message via MSN to freakonaleash1187

i had to travel 2 hours to get my z. i would of gladely traveled long for a z. when i went to buy mine, i brought $6800 of cash, when the guy saw the stack of 68 100 dollar bills, i think his legs gave out.

ZedEx Crew Member #2
freakonaleash1187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 09:49 PM   #18
longlivetheZ
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to longlivetheZ Send a message via MSN to longlivetheZ
Re: Re: rwd??

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakonaleash1187
past z cars is so full of wonderful people. now if the rest of the world could be like this.
No joke. I rarely ever venture outside of "Past Z Cars"...even a visit in the 350Z forum has become kinda rare. We're like a little family here. I could see all of us meeting for the first time at a Z meet somewhere and everyone thinking we've all known each other for a long time. We have to get as many of us to a Z meet some day as possible. That would kick all different kinds of ass.

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. --Benjamin Franklin
longlivetheZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 09:54 PM   #19
StealthZ32
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to StealthZ32
Lightbulb

I agree. everyone on the past Z's part has been awesome. helpful and it would be cool as hell if we all met up. HMMMM idea

R.I.P 2008
status- stolen by the motherf#@$%! that i knew! haven't seen him since Still have the engine like that does any good
StealthZ32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 09:56 PM   #20
freakonaleash1187
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to freakonaleash1187 Send a message via MSN to freakonaleash1187

i say kansas city......lol. anyways, lets not get off topic.

ZedEx Crew Member #2
freakonaleash1187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 09:56 PM   #21
StealthZ32
AF Regular

im gonan start a new thread about it... hit it up in there

R.I.P 2008
status- stolen by the motherf#@$%! that i knew! haven't seen him since Still have the engine like that does any good
Old 06-24-2004, 12:13 AM   #22
solidtimh
AF Newbie

if you are tight on cash, go for a z31. the z32s are expensive, and really hard to work on yourself, on the other hand the z31 is cheap, and pretty "tuner friendly". http://z31.com/nfaq/faqview.php?ParentID=7
go here, this guy put down a few hundred into is z31 turbo, and it now has 0-60 times and 1/4 mile times that of a z32.
solidtimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 12:15 AM   #23
DeleriousZ
AF Fanatic

Re: Re: rwd??

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakonaleash1187
i had to travel 2 hours to get my z. i would of gladely traveled long for a z. when i went to buy mine, i brought $6800 of cash, when the guy saw the stack of 68 100 dollar bills, i think his legs gave out.
hahaha that's awesome! is that all you paid for it? the one's i'm looking at (twin turbo mind you) are all around $14000.. canadian tho.. the one i have in mind has got.. 128k KM on it.. in miles that's... well i have no idea right now. how cool would that be to bring out a briefcase with 140 $100 bills!!
i guess 8 hours wouldn't really be that big of a deal.. or maybe i could go to washington or oregon or something in the states if i could find a good deal... grrr i hate this waiting bs.. I WANT MY ZX!
ZedEx Crew Member #6
1988 300zx turbo 5spd. 3" mandrel exhaust, filter, afco rad, e-fan, poly engine mounts, mbc at 8.5 psi, turboxs rfl-h bov, gutted plenum, etc.

Old 06-24-2004, 03:11 AM   #24
DeleriousZ
AF Fanatic

oh, yeah i'm not really that tight on cash, i can afford.. well.. WILL afford a z32, i'm just looking at the hp gains for mods and laughing.. and i thought 20 hp was an impressive upgrade..
as you all know by now, i'm pretty new to this preticular car area, and i was wondering if someone could edumacate me about some of the workings of the stock parts in a TT setup.. eg, upper plenum, mostly all of the components that allow for a rwd setup, how they function and what goes wrong with them, i've got tons of time on my hands and would love to spend it reading up on these cars. thanks for any help
man i'm just so full of questions!

oh, and the stock specs on the tt if you please.. redline, hp, 1/4, weight, brakes, wheels, bov equipped, internal/external wastegate:boost creep issues?
ZedEx Crew Member #6

Old 06-24-2004, 04:12 AM   #25
Broke_as_****
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
and i thought 20 hp was an impressive upgrade..
Yeah that always makes me laugh when I actually meet some one with a fully decked out POS or something and its not even making at the crank what a Z does stock at the rears...anyway...

as for:
Quote:
redline, hp, 1/4, weight, brakes, wheels, bov equipped, internal/external wastegate:boost creep issues?
Redline: Pegged at 7k but figure more like 6500

Hp: 5 spd TT rated 300 ponies, Auto version made 280 (very slight change to exhaust "open" duration in the cam grind and smaller turbos, .54 housings vs the 5 spds .63, but they spool faster and an auto has been proven to beat a 5 spd to 100 mph) both made about 280 lbs of torque. The auto got less power in an effort to keep the AT trans in one piece.

Weight: Well she got a big ass, figure about 3400 with a full load driver, fuel etc...someone is going to argue that figure but its about that area

Brakes: (taken from www.nissanperformancemagazine.com and go to http://www.princeton.edu/~asad/zbrakes/ for an even better break down)

1990 N/A: Aluminum caliper, 280x26mm rotor
1990 TT and 1991-1992.5 (all models): Aluminum caliper, 280x30mm rotor
1992.5-1996 (all models): Iron caliper, 280x30mm rotor

The switch to the heavier iron calipers was made to keep them from warping under heavy braking. Stock brakes can do the job but upgrading to crossed drilled or slotted rotors and better pads is a great idea.

Wheels: Z32s had 16's all the way around, TTs had 7.5 wide front, 8.5 wide rear which translates into 225/50/16 front tires and 245/45/16 rears. As far as brake cooling and strength, they are some of the best factory rims ever. They're even pretty light.

BOV: No because it has recirculating valves, which are much better. Go to www.twinturbo.net FAQ section to learn more.

Boost creep: Not that I've heard of, although the stock wastegate acuators can be kind of slow, resulting in a spike a few psi over max before they kick in. A good boost controller can fix that easily.

And for the all important 1/4 mile figures...mid 14s on a stock TT is par for the course, getting that down to low 13s isn't too hard. Even the 10s are reachable with the right setup and tuning.

Just remember that while others talk of 0 to 60 times...guys with TT Z32s are talking about 0 to 160. If not more, stock gearing get you to 185, maybe a shade more, with some internal work to raise the redline about 750-1000 rpms...200 mph is in reach...on a damn 5 spd

Thus spake Broke as **** about the greatness of the Z.

Warning: Objects in mirror aren't as fast as they thought they were.
Broke_as_**** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 04:25 AM   #26
StealthZ32
AF Regular

extremely well put, an amazing help broke as.... Now get your folks packed up and get your ass to NC haha

R.I.P 2008
Old 06-24-2004, 04:36 AM   #27
Broke_as_****
AF Enthusiast

Well you know the engine is still not in the car...I guess this would cause a drivablity issue...maybe...

That and me driving to NC from the west coast would be a damn one man Cannon Ball run. Which as much fun as it sounds is not exactly anything my insurance bill needs to hear.

Old 06-24-2004, 09:18 AM   #28
StealthZ32
AF Regular

hah well you have till oct. to get it in ..just kidding. Oh well, Im SURE there will be a nice Z meet out in cali soon

R.I.P 2008
Old 06-24-2004, 05:45 PM   #29
DeleriousZ
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broke_as_****
Just remember that while others talk of 0 to 60 times...guys with TT Z32s are talking about 0 to 160. If not more, stock gearing get you to 185, maybe a shade more, with some internal work to raise the redline about 750-1000 rpms...200 mph is in reach...on a damn 5 spd

Thus spake Broke as **** about the greatness of the Z.
That's what i like to hear... i can get my car up to 160.. ermm.. kph 8000 rpm redline on a 3.0L twin turbo car.. sounds like suicide to me
That twinturbo.net is an Amazing site! I've learnt so much already from just reading the how to's and upgrades and stuff, extremely well made website. Just a few more questions right now.. 1. would it be worth it upgrading to external wastegates when upgrading the turbo's 2. for gutting the precats, would it not just be easier to fabricate a piece of pipe that you could bolt in place of them? From the brief period of time i've read about them and looked at them, all they seem to me is just a pipe with a bunch of cat-crap inside with an o2 sensor bung drilled/welded in..?
ZedEx Crew Member #6

Old 06-24-2004, 10:22 PM   #30
Broke_as_****
AF Enthusiast

Waste gates: Whatever turbo upgrade you may do, the wastegates that come with the set will probably do best and be the cheapest. Unless you are running some 40 PSI of boost or something...

Pre-cats-downpipes: I mentitioned the precats just because that what many who are strapped for cash do but downpipes are the better alternative, but a prefabed set is a couple hundred so...your choice.

And yeah, 8000 on a VG sounds like a good way to blow a motor.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)