Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars) The original Z cars - ones that started it all.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 04:38 AM   #1
DeleriousZ
AF Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to DeleriousZ
Smile rwd??

Hello Nissan friends! i am of the acura planet and have not heard of this thing with the rear wheels driving a car!

haha, just kidding.. i was actually browsing your forum reading various things, thinking what it would be like to own a real sports car.

what do you guys/gals have to say about your 1990-96 300zx's? i was thinking about seriously modifying my integra (turbocharge) the works... well after a hefty $13000 price tag on my upgrades... i decided it would be much better to just buy a new car that comes with much more stock horespower! rwd is also a big plus i am thinking!

i am up in canada and i was just browsing autotrader.ca looking at various TT 300zx's and thinking after this year, i could probably afford one!

what would you guys recommend i do? how costly is it to do performance modifications to the zx's? i have read that it is not easy to work on them, but.. after fiddling around in the tiny tiny amount of space i have in my car, i think i could handle some basic maintinence(sp?) of a zx!

thanks for any replies! sorry if my spelling and grammar(sp? lol) is off, it's 2:30 in the morning and i am very ready for sleep!
ZedEx Crew Member #6
1988 300zx turbo 5spd. 3" mandrel exhaust, filter, afco rad, e-fan, poly engine mounts, mbc at 8.5 psi, turboxs rfl-h bov, gutted plenum, etc.

blown turbo, under construction.. gt35 coming.
DeleriousZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 10:53 AM   #2
1viadrft
AF Fanatic

Re: rwd??

You cannot compare working on a ZedX to an Acura.... it's comparing Chocolate to shit.

These cars are expensive to work on... CAN be expensive to maintain... and the mods are expensive too! But it all pays off at the end! You will have yourself a nice poweful Z!!!! These cars are very rewarding and I recommend that you drive one before you buy one! If you catch the bug... well, we are here for you...

My 1994 TT Supra For Sale: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=623105
1viadrft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 11:08 AM   #3
freakonaleash1187
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to freakonaleash1187 Send a message via MSN to freakonaleash1187

yes, drive a z and you will get hooked. all it took me was looking at one for the first time. and they are very hard to work on becasue there is no space. you have to know about the vg to work on it. and if you don't work on it yourself, plan to spend big bucks on labor. almost always the labo cost will be 3x more than the parts. but like 1via said, these cars are very rewarding.

ZedEx Crew Member #2
freakonaleash1187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 05:23 PM   #4
longlivetheZ
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to longlivetheZ Send a message via MSN to longlivetheZ

I'd agree with all that...I don't own one, but I'm on this board regularly and know the cars reasonably well and the general concensus [sp.] is that they can be a hand full...but my my my...how rewarding the return. The VG30DE(TT) is a pretty unique engine...it has a coil on plug ignition system, 2 banks of 3 cylinders, 2 intakes, 2 throttle bodies, and, if you have turbos, 2 turbos, and 2 intercoolers...pretty cool engine. All this results in a very responsive engine with a pretty flat power curve...the opposite of most 4 cylinder engines.

Once you drive a Z (not just a Z32, either...this applies to the much cheaper Z31s and previous, too...maybe to slightly lesser degrees, but still), you'll almost DEFINATELY be hooked...

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. --Benjamin Franklin
longlivetheZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 05:28 PM   #5
youngvr4
STREET RACING GURU

you can run low 13's for $20 just buy a b/c that is the cheapest mod hands down and one of the strongest mods next to turbo upgrade.

i say buy a 300zxtt and get a b/c and you'll be set. besides that the bpu will get you in the 12's.

you are speaking of the twinturbo right?
Old 06-23-2004, 05:32 PM   #6
longlivetheZ
AF Enthusiast

It's thinking like that that rids the world of wonderful turbo charged engines. Do NOT crank the boost up a bunch with out at LEAST getting an intake and exhaust...

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. --Benjamin Franklin
Old 06-23-2004, 05:59 PM   #7
DeleriousZ
AF Fanatic

well duh.. lol, what about the internals? ie pistons rods and such.. how are they at hanlding the extra boost? when am i going to have to tear down the engine and replace all the internals to get extra extra power? better yet.. how much hp are stock internals good to?
i was reading somewhere on here that it's is relatively cheap to upgrade these? eg intake exhaust, performance stuff like that... but i dunno if i believe that, because there'd be 2 of everything.. lol.
yes i'm talking about the TT... for me it's TT or bust!
buy a b/c? what exactly is a b/c?
thx
ZedEx Crew Member #6
1988 300zx turbo 5spd. 3" mandrel exhaust, filter, afco rad, e-fan, poly engine mounts, mbc at 8.5 psi, turboxs rfl-h bov, gutted plenum, etc.

Old 06-23-2004, 06:06 PM   #8
freakonaleash1187
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to freakonaleash1187 Send a message via MSN to freakonaleash1187

b/c = boost controller

and it is relatively expensive to mod 300zx's. but like i said before, it is very rewarding. the vg can handle up to 500 hp on stock internals. that translates to ABOUT 425 whp, which is plenty for the street.

ZedEx Crew Member #2
Old 06-23-2004, 06:17 PM   #9
1viadrft
AF Fanatic

Amen, Brother.

My 1994 TT Supra For Sale: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=623105
1viadrft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 06:31 PM   #10
DeleriousZ
AF Fanatic

really? 75 hp loss through drivetrain? to me that seems a lot... maybe because i've never dealt with rwd cars before.. thx for the info!
ZedEx Crew Member #6

Old 06-23-2004, 06:53 PM   #11
freakonaleash1187
AF Enthusiast

a rwd car will lose about 15% hp form the crank to the wheels. like with my car, i have 222 hp and 190 hp at the wheels.

ZedEx Crew Member #2
Old 06-23-2004, 08:19 PM   #12
Broke_as_****
AF Enthusiast

Part of the reason a Z will lose slightly more power through the drivetrain is that the drivetrain in a Z is built like a damn tank. Like a damn A1 rolling through buildings tank. Even Zs with power ranging up to 700+ horsepower use the stock trans, shaft and rear end. After that the trans might need a boost but the rest is still good to go. Whereas in a Honda or something, if you actually manage to make say 200 some horsepower you are probably just going to snap just about everything in your car like a damn twig.

Anyway...TTs are virtually untouched in terms of value (Z31s provide even better value at the cost of the ultra cool Ferrai-esque styling and better potential of a Z32). Some simple mods and you can run with Corvettes, Porsches, BMWs...things that cost upwards of 75 grand. There is pretty much 2 paths to upgrading the Z:

-Stock turbos: YOu can down down pipes, exhaust, intercoolers and all that happy shit to a stock turbo Z. As in you aren't pulling the engine, which in and of itself is a challenge (but do-able! I did it and I'm as dumb as a post, a retarded post stuck in the mud no less). THis can get you into the 375-400 rear wheel HP range. Thats alot of power. But after this it becomes harder to upgrade, as you are limited by the stock turbos.

-Aftermarket turbos: Sky is the limit. Or rather your wallet is. Once the engine is out you can do whatever you have money for, from a simple ball bearing turbo upgrade (like me) to a full out engine rebuild with forged whirly bits and stupidly huge turbos to get you up where Wagz is sitting on the 750hp mountain. This obviously costs alot of money. Figure upwards of $20-25,000. But now you have a insanely powerful ride at easily a fifth of the price of other cars like this.

But no matter what you do, you can't go wrong with a Z.

Just make sure you treat her good, these cars are rare enough as is.

Warning: Objects in mirror aren't as fast as they thought they were.
Broke_as_**** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 08:43 PM   #13
StealthZ32
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to StealthZ32
keep it extremely well maintained, have cash extra even if you are doing a lot of stufff yourself. They ARE incedibly addicting, I dont want to rid of mine. I couldnt part, its too fun and too rare. its very fun to also hear people say "hmm what the hell was that, it was sick" all in all its a good deal, just research the ones you look at, compare, ask for all records and just dont leave yourself without any cash to back it up..by the way rwd personally to me, I think its better only cause i've learned its easier to push then pull, but ya never know.

R.I.P 2008
status- stolen by the motherf#@$%! that i knew! haven't seen him since Still have the engine like that does any good
StealthZ32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 08:49 PM   #14
longlivetheZ
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broke_as_****
Anyway...TTs are virtually untouched in terms of value (Z31s provide even better value at the cost of the ultra cool Ferrai-esque styling and better potential of a Z32). Some simple mods and you can run with Corvettes, Porsches, BMWs...things that cost upwards of 75 grand. There is pretty much 2 paths to upgrading the Z:
True true...I LOVE the way the Z32 looks, but I think the Z31 looks good...and it's even more rare than the Z32 is...surprisingly enough. F.Y.I...it's my goal to beat up on the Corvettes, Porsches and Bimmers of the world for a teeny-tiny fraction of their price. 'Tis so doable.

Quote:
-Stock turbos: YOu can down down pipes, exhaust, intercoolers and all that happy shit to a stock turbo Z. As in you aren't pulling the engine, which in and of itself is a challenge (but do-able! I did it and I'm as dumb as a post, a retarded post stuck in the mud no less). THis can get you into the 375-400 rear wheel HP range. Thats alot of power. But after this it becomes harder to upgrade, as you are limited by the stock turbos.
LO-motherfuggin-L...don't give yourself too much credit, man.

Quote:
But no matter what you do, you can't go wrong with a Z.
Damn right.

Quote:
Just make sure you treat her good, these cars are rare enough as is.
DAMN RIGHT!!

Old 06-23-2004, 09:16 PM   #15
freakonaleash1187
AF Enthusiast

past z cars is so full of wonderful people. now if the rest of the world could be like this.

ZedEx Crew Member #2

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)