Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 03:15 AM   #1
SCJ428
AF Newbie

Ian Geoghean's Super Falcon. (GT-HO)

IMHO, one of the last and best australian muscle cars was Ian Geoghean's XW/XY (XW body, XY appearance) Super Falcon.
The buzz word at the time at Ford was "lightweight", so they acid dipped the panels to remove extra metal, making them paper thin, pressed stuff from lighter and thinner metals, used lighter components in everything, and drilled holes in anything that couldnt be seen.
The engine was a tuned-to-the-shithouse 351 Clevo pumping out 615+ HP (lots for 1972) and about 607Nm torque.
The tyres were scary-huge, scary hige to the tune of 23x10x15 on the front and 25x11x15 on the back (all in inches).
The result of all this was a light, unreliable (the engines lunched themselves all the time), flexible (yep, soft chasis, think "swiss cheese" with all the holes and lightweight), under-steering (until the right foot moved towards the firewall) grunt machine.
After one season Geoghean bought it from Ford and took it to get the chasis re-inforced, the esult was extra kilos, but a much better car, and who cares afout a "few" kilos when you have over 615 HP?
Although it only ever won one race (ATCC - April 3, Bathurst, 1972), I still believe this is one of the greatest cars of all time. It cost $120,000 for ford to build in 1970, which translates to over $1,000,000 in todays money. (Remember australian dollars you americans!)
There were only two of there cars ever built, the other one was dismantled and scrapped, but this one, after being a taxi (mmm... 615+HP taxi) was restored.
In the april 3 race in '72 it was clocked at 296kph (185 miles) and at one point that poor bastard clevo was spining at 9000rpm.
Now remember the XY falcon was like a house brick on wheels (see the pics in Ford), had straight through exhausts and no power steering, and had drum brakes on the back.
If you can, look up this falcon, just stick in "Ian Geoghean's Super Falcon" or "Super Falcon" into a search engine.
It may not have won races, but I still love it.
Sorry i didnt give you the full story, the full story is in a magazine and is about 10 pages long, but i'm sure you can find more if you search around.

(There is also a thread on this car in the Ford section of this website, with pictures, check it out, its an awesome looking car)
SCJ428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 02:57 AM   #2
xyfalconsrock
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to xyfalconsrock
Re: Ian Geoghean's Super Falcon. (GT-HO)

The lite weighting only took away 90Kg.But the ATCC were really pissed at him 4 it(Lead ballast in doors)
I liked the GT-40 seats fulla holes.
xyfalconsrock is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical