Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Trans Sport
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 09:51 AM   #16
LMP
AF Enthusiast

Re: 1994 Transport Disengaes out of OD

P0321 - Ignition/Distributor Engine Speed Input Circuit Range/Performance
P0341 - Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor Performance
P0361 - Ignition Coil K Primary/Secondary Circuit Malfunction

?!?..I'd think 321 might induce the problem you describe....Indeed the fact they are not "active" at time of testing does not mean they do not occur regularly at random...lighting the CEL at times only...
.....?!?....you had said you had the ECM replaced....confirm you are positively sure it came from exactly same car, same engine, same transmisison....the gear ratio differs between various GM cars using same ECM and this ratio is written in the ECM...a mismatch would impair a lot of things....just want to be sure...

also..this has been just barely mentioned at the beginning of this thread....but be sure the throttle position sensor procures a continuously variable 0.5 to 4.5 v with key on (engine not running), or if tested on the disconnected sensor, a variable resitance from around 400 ohms to around 6500 ohms, with no misses or steps as you move the throttle down to floor A problem there would normally throw P0120,121,122,123 or 124...but anywway... These simple things MUST be tested and proven before searching for the complicated, or at least that they do not come in addition to other factors and complicate things ad nauseam....
Old 07-02-2006, 03:21 PM   #17
mobby
AF Newbie

Well, the computer was replaced, but i have had this probelm before computer was replaced..I have also replaced TPS 3 times just to be sure..

Maybe its just a wiring isssue i dont know. I may replace the BAD coil the code speaks of though. Other than that I am lost on this one.

I was thinking the fliud and filter was dirty could cause it but the fluid looks brand new and smells ok, no burnt or overly used smell.

I will check the TPS again but i am sure that isnt the problem unless it gets hot being so close to the exaust pipe that after a while of heat it just breaks down inside, unsure.
mobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 04:56 PM   #18
troy1
AF -Advisor

how many miles on that van Mobby don't see alot of TCC failures on 4T60Es get that p0321 fixed like LMP said and see what happens. could be a stuck valve transgo shift kits have you grind the lands on the TCC valve and add a spring to help TCC and falling out of OD hot.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:55 PM   #19
mobby
AF Newbie

Ok, but what does those codes mean actually? I have replaced the ignition module with a new one last october. It has new wires and plugs... I havent replaced the coils though. The van has about 160k miles on it high yes?

Thanks

Mobby
Old 07-04-2006, 06:43 AM   #20
LMP
AF Enthusiast

OK I read back through the thread and saw what you had said about your TPS....quite confident it is OK . EGR is not involved with all of this ......ANd...please confirm we are talking of a 3800 with 4T60 transmission....
there are interesting elements of discussion HERE and
HERE
Old 07-04-2006, 08:40 AM   #21
troy1
AF -Advisor

Ok you have a voltmeter right? here is a easy check... now I don’t have the info right in front of me so here goes.... unplug the case connector find terminal "E" 12 o'clock I my memory serves me right. now go around touching all the other terminals with the other lead. all the shift solenoids should be 20-25 ohms there are 3. "F" & "G" is your tanny temp sender this will be high 2K - 5K ohms. the pins are in the 8 and 4 O'clock position I believe. The last solenoid is the TCC PWM that will be 10-12 ohms. If you look real close on the grey connecter you can see the letters but they are tiny. Now if any of those don't ohm right they are bad. Also as long as you keep the one voltmeter lead on "E" you will find the 3 shift solenoids and TCC PWM solenoid. The temp sender uses it own two pins.

Good Luck
Troy
Old 08-14-2006, 12:07 AM   #22
mobby
AF Newbie

Hiya guys sorry , But i been away for a bit on a job outa town. Hey, i drove the van the other day camping and guess what, lol.. The starter died...

I am gonna replace asap.. But let me tell ya what it did on my trip. It did the same stuff, lol Would go 4 miles then kick out of OD, THEN after that would go another 5 miles and kick outa 4th gear or whatever gear. So it seems its has 2 gear isuues... Also i noticed on the trip that the van gets hotter than it should, the gauge inside the van showed it at almost 200 sometimes then it would cool off, then it would go up again to 200. I am sure this is because of it not being in OD or 4th gear and running 3500 RPM up moutain sides? Anyway, tell me what to do to fix the 321 problem, is it an issue with the IGN coils or what.. PLZ help

thanks mobby
Old 08-22-2006, 09:40 PM   #23
greybeard851
AF Newbie

Hello,

I have a '92 Trans Sport 3800 that has trouble staying in OD. From browsing this forum it seems as if this is a rather common problem. Anyway, I can be cruising along around 45-60 at an rpm of about 1500 when I will feel it downshift and the rpms jump to around 2500. I have not gotten a CEL. I also periodically get a growling sound but there was no metal on the magnet at oil change time. The growling sound occurs at between 45-60 mph and if I back off, it will go away. If I push harder the tranny will downshift and the sound will then go away also. I don't know if the two problems are related or not. The downshift usually occurs after about 4-6 miles after starting and will not go back into OD until the engine is shut off and restarted.

It doesn't seem to be a problem except for the extra fuel used by not being in OD. I had it to a tranny shop and he thought the noise was caused by glaze on the clutch so he put in a can of JB but after about 300 miles there is no change. ???

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Grey

greybeard851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 08:49 AM   #24
mobby
AF Newbie

Well, I have to say today that I got rid of the pontiac transport.. THANK GOD. It was more trouble than it worth. After putting almost 2500$ in it. I took it and traded it in and got 1000$ for it. I wasnt going to replace the tranny and then put even more money in that junk..

I bought a 1997 jeep cherokee limited 4wd. Its nice to not have all those issues everyday..

good luck.. I will still read posts here as I have lotsa experience with the 3800 transport..

:P

mobby
Old 08-23-2006, 09:24 PM   #25
LMP
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by greybeard851
...trouble staying in OD
...growling sound
... glaze on the clutch???
...yeah...this OD problem after a few minutes in the terms you describe is frequently mentioned....but even as possibilities have been alleged, no definite explanation has come forward yet. There is a temperature control that cuts TCC and eventually 4th...but this is only in severe transmssion overheating conditions. Other than that, a litany of heat sensitive failed seals and o-rings can be listed....
...well recently mine has started exhibiting a low frequency "growling sound" and I'm going to check for some play in the half shafts c.v. joints. As mentioned here: www.avigex.ca/xport/tccshudder.jpg this condition may be absorbed when TCC is not applied. I suspect glaze on the TCClutch would cause slip and be detected and pop the CEL.
Old 08-27-2006, 02:54 PM   #26
greybeard851
AF Newbie

LMP,

Thanks for the note. I've noticed, as you mentioned, that this problem seems to be quite common. A lot of the people don't seem to be having critical problems because of that (i.e. the tranny isn't falling to the ground... ) so as long as the CEL stays off, I won't sweat it.

Now about that fuel pump...

Grey
greybeard851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 05:06 PM   #27
Bon@karl
AF Newbie

We in Germany had have the same Problem with the 1994 3.8l Model. It gives the failure Code P0740. The failure is in an worn TCC Apply Valve. This is NOT an electrical Problem, it is mechanical.

I repaired last weekend the third TransSport with this Problem, and only changed the TCC Apply Valve. I used the one from Sonnax which is bigger than the original one and it works really fine.

Best regards from Germany
Mathias

http://www.pontiac-interface.de
Bon@karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:35 AM   #28
southerncalm
AF Newbie

I know this is far late for a reply
i have a 94 i bought new in 93

also bought the 5 year 75k extented warranty

about 16 months old it started not going into overdrive when i was on the road for 30 minutes or so

dealer never coul d find anything (so they say)
then 2 months after the warranty expried
low and behold they say its my transmission and it needs rebuilt

yada yada
did not fix it

2 years later same crap excuse from a transmission shop
another wasted rebuild

FYI
in about 95 or 96 (while still under warranty) GM released a recal
turns out a bad design
coolant lines to the trans. were undersized
when it gets warm it cant cool enough
then locks out the overdrive

so dont pay anyone for a rebuild etc
they just want your money

just upsize the coolant lines and it will fix for most people
southerncalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:03 PM   #29
LMP
AF Enthusiast

Much colder temperatures up North have not let this condition show here in Quebec. Mine is '93, now running an external transmission cooler because of cross contamination in the original radiator loops.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Trans Sport