Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Trans Sport
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 11:44 AM   #16
sdsumike619
AF Newbie

I scanned the Fuse diagram from my manual, instead of ELC, it says ELEC - is this the same thing?

Mike
sdsumike619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 11:47 AM   #17
LMP
AF Enthusiast

Re: pontiac transport battery drain

Indeed...same
Old 03-28-2005, 12:39 PM   #18
sdsumike619
AF Newbie

Well I just came in from outside - those plastic fastners were HELL to get out, I only got out the rear two, so I had to pull and bend that plastic cover to get to the relays - I wasn't QUITE sure which one it was, so I just unplugged all three of them that were in there; We'll see what happens? At least now I can tell though if I hear that noise after the van is in the garage, I'll know if that was it or not..Do I need to unplug that fuse if I disconnected all those plugs?
Old 03-28-2005, 03:00 PM   #19
LMP
AF Enthusiast

...You would have been OK with the fuse alone...if all is disconnected in the back now, you can keep the fuse, at least the rear cigarette lighter might keep working in case you use a cooler....
Old 03-28-2005, 03:23 PM   #20
sdsumike619
AF Newbie

well I just hope that WAS the problem...only time will tell =)
Old 10-13-2006, 12:13 PM   #21
sdsumike619
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP
...You would have been OK with the fuse alone...if all is disconnected in the back now, you can keep the fuse, at least the rear cigarette lighter might keep working in case you use a cooler....
Believe it or not, a year later and this problem is back! If it is the auto leveling system, then that ELEC fuse has nothing to do with it because it is removed and we heard the humming noise last night before bed. It happened a few weeks ago too but this time we noticed something: Yesterday we had two of the five gallon water bottles and about a 40 lb audio speaker in the back.

Could it be possible that the auto leveler just gets STUCK in an on mode? But this should not be the case because the fuse was removed... Still perplexed...

Any ideas?
Old 10-13-2006, 05:53 PM   #22
knuckle ears
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsumike619
Believe it or not, a year later and this problem is back! If it is the auto leveling system, then that ELEC fuse has nothing to do with it because it is removed and we heard the humming noise last night before bed. It happened a few weeks ago too but this time we noticed something: Yesterday we had two of the five gallon water bottles and about a 40 lb audio speaker in the back.

Could it be possible that the auto leveler just gets STUCK in an on mode? But this should not be the case because the fuse was removed... Still perplexed...

Any ideas?
Same problem here a couple years ago with a 91 lumina APV. It had load leveling on it and it would energize in the middle of the night and drain the battery. Finally heard it humming one evening so I disconnected the wire connectors at the air compressor. Problem went away.
knuckle ears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 06:07 PM   #23
sdsumike619
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckle ears
so I disconnected the wire connectors at the air compressor.
Where are these wire connectors? Do I have to go under the Van? Or are they behind the control panel for the air inflator as LMP mentioned in previous posts about the relay...?
Old 10-13-2006, 06:39 PM   #24
LMP
AF Enthusiast

with the ELC relay disconnected as per diagram below
www.avigex.ca/xport/elcrelay.jpg
this compressor should not live by itself....
I'll check for the schematic diagram....and come back later.
Old 10-13-2006, 07:18 PM   #25
sdsumike619
AF Newbie

Alright, I went outside and got that panel off again to see exactly what we did last year. As you can see from the picture below, we disconnected THREE different connectors.. The only things that are left connected appear to be just air hoses.

http://www.geocities.com/sdsumike619/transport.jpg

So with all three of those plugs unplugged, as well as the fuse removed - why is this electronic level control still turning on and draining the battery overnight?
Old 10-13-2006, 08:26 PM   #26
LMP
AF Enthusiast

www.avigex.ca/xport/elcdiagram.jpg OK the only way the compressor can run then would be a short circuit (salt/moisture) between contacts C and B at the compressor assembly (under the car) since C is hot all the time...
IF the ELC fuse is removed and my diagram ( 93) is exactly same for your car, then it should not run !!!..I guess you will have to disconnect at the compressor itself.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:37 PM   #27
sdsumike619
AF Newbie

Can you tell me approximately where I can find the compressor under the car? Also, I'm not quite sure what I'm looking at in your diagram you just posted and how it relates to your instruction about disconnecting at the compressor itself.
Old 10-14-2006, 07:43 AM   #28
LMP
AF Enthusiast

The compressor is under the car behind the left rear wheel well. It is surrounded by a protective shell if I remember well....mine has been removed several years ago because of salt corrosion damage to compressor, purge valve and height sensor in the middle of car just above the rear "axle". WHat it did then was blowing the fuse all the time. SInce then I have rearranged the tubing and I use a 10$ compressor ...the original system at GM would have been well over $1000....eh--would you believe!

I think I still have the scrap compressor somewhere..so I could have a picture .of it and the connector location...but you will find anyway...
Look back to the diagram in previous post : I have added a circle around the connector (4 wires).
Old 10-14-2006, 06:55 PM   #29
sdsumike619
AF Newbie

Well I got down and dirty and got under the van, removed the plastic shield and removed the whole compressor assembly. I only found one power plug for the whole thing so I guess that was it, unplugged that, cut the rubber air hose, and disconnected the small plastic air tubing from the compressor.. those were the only three connections. Jumped the van, drove it around so we'll see what happens. I just trashed the whole compressor, felt good to do that, I hope it was the problem!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Trans Sport