Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 09:20 PM   #1
rampickupguy
AF Newbie

1996 Ram 1500 headlight switch

My headlight switch is becoming increasingly hard to move back and forth. Sometimes I can't get the headlights to switch on at all and soemtiems I can't get them to switch off!

I assume I need a new headlight switch. Is this soemthing I can tackle myself or do I need to go to a Mopar dealer? Any idea how much this should cost?

Thanks in advance.

Mike
rampickupguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 03:42 AM   #2
MoparMurphy
AF Newbie

Re: 1996 Ram 1500 headlight switch

I had to replace the one in my '94 because it was burnt out due to the wiring being too small. It is actually a know fault and the replacement part was about $80. If you know how to do some wiring it is not hard. I don't remember if the '96 was the year the interior changed but on the '94 you need to remove the plastic trim around the dash (make sure you take out the cup holder too) and you have access to the switch. I think the switch is held in by 2 screws. After that you just switch the wiring.
MoparMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 06:15 AM   #3
rampickupguy
AF Newbie

Thanks for the info. I don't think mine is burned out. I think something mechanically is wrong with the switch.

So I remove the cup holder and the plastic trim I can pop off?
My 96 interior is the same as a 94. They changed I think in 97.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:16 AM   #4
rampickupguy
AF Newbie

double tap

Last edited by rampickupguy; 01-06-2005 at 08:06 PM.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:32 AM   #5
MoparMurphy
AF Newbie

It should have a few screws holding it on. I can not recall how many. Something like 4-6. It's been a while and I do not have the pickup any longer.
MoparMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 01:40 PM   #6
BleedDodge
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to BleedDodge

Dashes changed in '98.

Take the ashtrays and the cupholders out, and then unscrew the housings that they sat inside. Slide the housings out. The plastic trim can now be ripped off by hand and taken out of the way. Then you'll have access to the switch and the piece it sits inside. Four to six screws sounds about right. Slide that out and I think there's a plug on the back of that if I remember correctly, and then I guess just switch that piece with the new piece, plug it back in, see if it works, and then rebuild the dash in the order you took it apart in.
Old 01-09-2005, 10:07 AM   #7
TurboSW
AF Regular

I have a 96 as well. You will need to have the key in the ignition to bring the shift knob down to the bottom (2nd gear?) and tilt the steering wheel all the way down. This will help to remove the big trim section.
TurboSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 01:58 PM   #8
BleedDodge
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to BleedDodge

It looks discouraging, it did on my truck anyways because I don't have tilt steering, so the wheel points kind of up at an angle. It's a tight fit but when that plastic trim is turned the right way, it will slide out.

Just in case you don't have tilt. It does come out.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:19 PM   #9
rampickupguy
AF Newbie

OK guys when I got home today, UPS had brought my replacement switch. I just got done installing it.

Tip for anyone who needs to do the same: There is a button on the body of the switch you have to press to release the knob and shaft.

Looking at oild old switch, it looks to be in pretty good shape for 10 years old. One of the elctrical connectors on the back was VERY hot when I removed the switch and it wiggles a lot. I'm not sure if that was the cause of my problem or not.

The dash really is as easy to remove as it sounds. Remove the ashtray screws, remove the cupholder screws, and pull it off.

Thanks for all the help!
I'm sure you guys saved me $100 in BS labor.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:04 PM   #10
TurboSW
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampickupguy
OK guys when I got home today, UPS had brought my replacement switch. I just got done installing it.

Tip for anyone who needs to do the same: There is a button on the body of the switch you have to press to release the knob and shaft.

Looking at oild old switch, it looks to be in pretty good shape for 10 years old. One of the elctrical connectors on the back was VERY hot when I removed the switch and it wiggles a lot. I'm not sure if that was the cause of my problem or not.

The dash really is as easy to remove as it sounds. Remove the ashtray screws, remove the cupholder screws, and pull it off.

Thanks for all the help!
I'm sure you guys saved me $100 in BS labor.
I'll e-mail you my address to send labor costs. I'mm running a deal for the new year 1/2 off.
TurboSW is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10