Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Accord/TSX/Accord Hybrid
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 12:15 AM   #1
jojo32
AF Newbie

94Accord Auto2.2 unusual transmission slipping problem, I can use your opinion..

Ok let me start by telling you this car was a gift, i do not know its history. As many 94 Accords the car had a hard shift problem mostly going into 2nd gear. I been driving this car for 2 weeks now. There are no codes when i jump the tester, All four gears work and it down shifts fairly well. Normally the car shifts at 2500 rpms. I notices the throttle cable was very loose so i tightened it and that seemed to help a little with the response. The throttle control cable lever (to the tranny) is all rusted but it seems to be moving evenly with the throttle. When i test the throttle control lever by opening it fully by hand, it does not return all the way back down without me pushing it with my hand , but with normal driving conditions the lever is never fully open so it needs to be replaced but im not sure if its the cause of my immediate problem.. Transmission fluid was disgusting, I took the risk and did a drain and fill today with Honda atf. The car now shifts much smoother, I cant even feel 3rd or 4th gear shift. BUT now it has slipped a few times coming off of a turn or from slowing down and accelerating again. It does NOT slip starting from a stop only when i was driving fast and slowed down then try to push the gas. I have to accelerate very slow to have it catch up. I know i did this by taking away the friction pieces with the atf change. Will the tranny get used to the new fluid?? Why doesnt it slip starting off?? Maybe it down shifts into the wrong gear? Could it be the control cable or silinoids?... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by jojo32; 02-07-2012 at 12:42 AM.
jojo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:00 AM   #2
jgr7
AF Regular

Re: 94Accord Auto2.2 unusual transmission slipping problem, I can use your opinion..

Are you sure you have the proper fluid level in the trans?
jgr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:27 PM   #3
ricebike
AF Enthusiast

Re: 94Accord Auto2.2 unusual transmission slipping problem, I can use your opinion..

Quote:
Transmission fluid was disgusting
please specify... was it dark brown / burnt???

if so, the clutch packs are gone.... hence the slipping
ricebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:42 PM   #4
jojo32
AF Newbie

The fluid was very dark red, not so much brown. Another reason I was tempted to drain and fill was because the fluid level was much higher then the top mark on the dipstick, maybe around a extra qt. at least.. Now the fluid is right at the top mark, i drained and filled with 3 qts Honda atf. The total fluid capasity of the transmission is about 7 qts so i didnt think it would do to much damage to replace only 3 qts. Maybe the previous owner added some "Lucas tranny fix" and thats where the extra qt came from.
It started to slip alot today, I have to accelerate very slow but once i get going its fine. I Hate for it to come to this, but should i add a little "stop slip" and see if it helps since the new fluid is to slick.. is there any adjustments i can have done for cheap. Any advice would help.. I will not have money for a rebuild for at least a month.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:12 PM   #5
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

I have no experience with it, but I understand there are a couple of small screens in the valve body on them that can get clogged and cause problems like this...

I might try disconnecting the TV cable and see what it does. Basically all it does is override the upshift point when the throttle is opened wide, to prevent a premature upshift that would make the engine bog down. If it was sticking and not allowing the valve body to do it's thing when you drop the throttle, it could possibly confuse it enough to get caught between shifts and neutral out.

If it was the cause, I'd suspect that with the TV disabled it would not do the slip anymore, but would lug and not downshift appropriately as you try to accelerate out of a turn or whatever...would still be preferable to slipping until you could fix it. Easy enough to try anyway...

...empty gun rack.
jeffcoslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffcoslacker For This Useful Post:
jojo32 (02-07-2012)
Old 02-07-2012, 12:41 AM   #6
jojo32
AF Newbie

That sounds like a good idea. I'll try it once I get to work in the AM, Thank you.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:10 PM   #7
jojo32
AF Newbie

no luck with disconnecting the cable. All it did was make it shift smoother at a lower rpm, the gears got stretched out if i give the car to much gas. The slip still happened but i don't think as frequently. I believe the car drives better with the cable connected. I drove about 35 miles for work today and the car drove better then yesterday, maybe its getting used to the fluid or the fluid is started to mix evenly with the old.
I heard the screens behind the solenoids get clogged up and cause problems, I might try to remove, test, and clean them. Thanks for every ones help.