Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Tracker
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 03:57 PM   #1
oldpop
AF Newbie

Diesel transplant in Tracker

Hey guys, I'm new here and have tracker questions. I have a 94 tracker 2wd. I have plans to do an Isuzu diesel conversion. I have 2 diesel engines a 2.2 with a 5sp and a 1.9 with an automatic. I haven't decided which I will us yet. I know that there will be lots of modifications that will have to be done. If anyone has done this or something similar I would love to hear about it. The first thing I would like to know is if it is possible to remove the front clip without doing it piece by piece. This would make fitting the engine much easier and keep the front clip all in 1 or 2 pieces. Thanks for any help you might send my way. Phil
oldpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 11:54 AM   #2
DeltaP
AF Enthusiast

Re: Diesel transplant in Tracker

Are the Isuzus non electric engines? That'd be your biggest nightmare if they're not. Otherwise engine mounts and radiator placement will be the challange. So unless I had the means to pull the front clip on and off repeatedly for fitting I'd just get the old one out and try to hang the Isuzu in there on a chain to see what has to be done. That 2.2 is a noisy little thing. We used to use them in Thermo King Reefer trailers for years. Final gearing will be a challange due to the diesel engine screaming at rpm's that gas engines smile at. Probably don't want to run it over 2500 rpm. You want a hi-way vehicle or just puttin around a mountain?
DeltaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 01:40 PM   #3
oldpop
AF Newbie

Re: Diesel transplant in Tracker

Deltap, thanks for the input. The isuzus are mechanical no computer. I wouldn't be attempting this if they were. You're probably right about hanging the engine in to line everything up. I just thought that having the front end off would make easier to do things like motor mounts and exhaust and other brackets and what ever. This vehicle will just be a ride around thing. It not a 4wd. I have been playing with making homemade diesel fuel. Just thought it would be different and cheap to operate. I am a tight wad and using what I have on hand. This is my retirement project. Thanks, Phil
oldpop is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Tracker