Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Viper | Viper SRT19 Roadster
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-24-2001, 12:53 AM   #1
mcervantes
Writer mod

Post 2003 Viper

2003 Dodge Viper

Detroit serves up a new lucky number. 500.

The 2001 North American International Auto Show in Detroit played host to more than a few performance vehicles (Nissan’s Z Concept, BMW’s M3 Convertible, and Mazda’s RX-8 come to mind), but perhaps most surprising was the new “500/500/500” Viper from Dodge and the beleaguered American arm of DaimlerChrysler.

But let’s take a trip back shall we? Back to when Chrysler was still struggling, but was on the verge of a styling breakthrough that would carry them through the 90s. The year was 1989, the setting was again the Detroit Auto Show. In front of the usual room filled with auto “journalists,” Chrysler’s Advanced Styling Studio rolled out the stunning Dodge Viper RT/10 concept.

The reaction to this serpent on steroids was positive to say the least. According to Chrysler, Dodge received potential orders for the car before the show ended. What would become of the RT/10 is what many in this country consider to be America’s only true supercar.

More than a decade later, Chrysler is in trouble again. This time thanks in large to their German handlers. Despite the financial constraints, DC was still able to pump up America’s favorite snake for it’s first major redesign since the 1989 debut. The decision to show the new Viper at NAIAS may have been a move to build confidence in Chrysler because this vehicle is still more than a year away from hitting the streets. Therefore, many technical details have not been released, probably because they aren’t set in stone yet.

What we do know is that the 2003 Viper will come with an 8.3L (in other words, 505 inches of cubic displacement) V10 with a more-than welcome 500 bhp and 500 lbs-ft of torque. The chassis has been reworked for improved handling dynamics. The wheelbase has been stretched 2.6 inches while the overall car is close to a half-inch shorter. The overall curb weight for the new Viper is expected to be around 67 lbs. less than the current RT/10 roadster.

Exterior design is always an issue of discussion., and there’s no exception here. While the looks are familiarly Viper, they also bring to mind a certain Chevrolet sports car. Overall, it’s a crisp, clean design. But looks are subjective, so we’ll let you decide. Interior design is also a practice of evolution. Dodge seems to have fixed some things than needed to be fixed, but still remains true to it’s “Viperness.” It’s a nice design, but nothing really stands out.

This latest Viper appears more than able to hold onto it’s perch atop the American sports car arena, but does it have the qualities to compete in the world market? To tell you the truth, that really doesn’t matter to us because this car looks to be one hell of a ride.

Article Copyright 2001 Mike Cervantes.
Photos Copyright Daimler Chrysler.

Old 07-27-2001, 09:18 AM   #2
austin powers
AF Newbie

Exclamation 2003 Viper

Now that's what i call an awesome Viper. I wouldn't mind getting my body in one of those Vipers. It would be my dream come true if i drive one of them all over town. The heck with riding it around town i might ride it all over the United States, or maybe the whole western hemisphere that has land.
Old 07-27-2001, 08:48 PM   #3
Racer 20
AF Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Racer 20
I'm glad. This will make roadsters more popular. The GTS is awesome, so is the GTS-R Concept Car but the RT/10 was always the favored one in my family. Most people nowadays think of the roadster as a small perfectly balanced Mazda Miata or a torquey BMW M roadster or Z3. But Chryster proves that the American muscule/exotic can also be an increadible roadster that has extreame preformance.
Old 07-28-2001, 10:45 PM   #4
superposition
AF Newbie

Red face errmm

*shrugs* the front part looks like a Honda S2000 to me.
Old 07-29-2001, 02:04 AM   #5
Jay!
Horizontally Opposed

Send a message via AIM to Jay! Send a message via Yahoo to Jay!
Re: errmm

Quote:
Originally posted by superposition
*shrugs* the front part looks like a Honda S2000 to me.
That makes three times someone's said they think the Viper looks like the S2000. (And not vice-versa) Hmmm...
Old 07-29-2001, 05:22 AM   #6
Lizard King
AF Enthusiast

I can see why people would think it looks like an S2000, but really it is the same front that has been 'chisled' down. It is no longer volumptuous looking, they've made it edgier.
Old 07-31-2001, 10:45 AM   #7
BurninRich
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to BurninRich Send a message via AIM to BurninRich
Unhappy I dont really care for its looks...........

..............I dont get it. I mean dodge had it going on with the original viper. OH!! her sweet body lines!!!!!! Now dodge makes the bad choice of making it all boxy!¿!?! Why dont they just take off that dumb old bar on the RT/10 nad make it a real convertable!!! Sorry but they could also stand to put the cool side scoop things that are behind the front tires back on the Viper too. Cause the ones they put on this new one are so small. I cant belive I'm doggin a Viper!!! And did they put in of those hidden roll-bar things that activat when the car starts to flip?? But heck I'ed sure as H@#L drive one. But i mean Dodge has got alotta technology at their hand being part of Daimler-Chrysler whos partnered with Benz. Look at all the possiblities!!! Well thats all i can think of......get pissed at me if you wanna but thats what i gotta say.
Old 08-01-2001, 01:38 PM   #8
Psman32@af
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Psman32@af Send a message via Yahoo to Psman32@af
I havent seen this mettioned anywhere else, but the dodge exec that is ahead of the new viper ( i have autoweeks write up) and he called the 500 hp conservative, he said its gonna be at least 525.
Old 08-05-2001, 06:20 AM   #9
carz
AF Enthusiast

letts steal the pics
Old 08-06-2001, 09:29 PM   #10
KooLLaiD
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to KooLLaiD Send a message via Yahoo to KooLLaiD
Thumbs down eck!

That is one hella ugly damn car!!!!!:apuke:

-I am a Libra.. Arguing is Futile... I will win-
-U gots dah f0-1-1??-
-Why?? Cause I'm Just Keeping it Real-

Old 08-15-2001, 06:58 PM   #11
Prelude1897
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Prelude1897 Send a message via Yahoo to Prelude1897
That bitch is bad. I'd drive the hell out of it and get hella pussy. Girls would just cream in their pants after seeing one of those
Old 08-18-2001, 02:08 AM   #12
Viper 10
AF Enthusiast

Re: eck!

Quote:
Originally posted by KooLLaiD
That is one hella ugly damn car!!!!!:apuke:
Klueless:

That's just too funny... a guy in a VW Passat calling a Viper ugly. Why don't you put a picture of your car up here and compare? The Germans do EVERYTHING better, right? Yeah right, the Germans completely F_cked up a healthy growing company like Chrysler to pay off their crippling debt.

Now the S Class looks like a freaking Intrepid. For someone that hates ricers, your argument sounds awfully similar (if I can't have it, then it sucks and is ugly...). Why don't you go down the HP/liter path next?

Get a life.

Last edited by Viper 10; 08-18-2001 at 10:34 AM.
Old 08-18-2001, 06:06 AM   #13
Lizard King
AF Enthusiast

Well said, bubba.
Old 10-03-2001, 07:17 AM   #14
68vette
AF Newbie

Viper

I think the Viper engineers should get the hell out of the wind tunnell. Its a good think Larry Shinoda passed away so he didnt have to see such an ugly car. The 2003 Viper in general looks like a cheap knock off of the Camaro. The bubbly front looks like a Dodge Dakota and the rear just ends like the new Vette. From the side the car looks like an ironing board and from the top it looks like a tug boat. It has absolutely no nice lines. The Viper was a beutiful car, they really screwed up a good thing. I've seen Miata's that look nicer than the new Viper. We can only pray that Dodge realizes this before 2003.
-Pat
Old 10-05-2001, 04:24 PM   #15
Fried Rice
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to Fried Rice Send a message via AIM to Fried Rice
omg RIPPED apart!

=)

My friend (my 17 yr old friend) thinks hes getting a Viper.
Those things are damn purty.
Quick too.
Prolly not as quick as the 02 vette...

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Viper | Viper SRT19 Roadster