Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 04:01 PM   #1
Mannyb18b
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Mannyb18b Send a message via MSN to Mannyb18b
Thumbs up Xtant! very impressed

I just heard a buddy of mines 2 X series Xtant 12" subs...all i can say is "WHOA!!!" and this was in a Sealed box! i couldnt beleive the amount of bass these thing push out. I think they got me sold. Has anyone heard these things? what do u think?
Mannyb18b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 05:08 PM   #2
Mannyb18b
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Mannyb18b Send a message via MSN to Mannyb18b
Re: Xtant! very impressed

no one go opinions on Xtants. Is it just me thinkin there good?
Mannyb18b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 07:23 PM   #3
loismustdie
AF Enthusiast

i've never used any of their equipment, but their amps have a pretty good reputation. i haven't seen a review of their subs....
Old 10-15-2009, 05:51 PM   #4
Xtant77
AF Newbie

Smile Re: Xtant! very impressed

I've heard alot of amps in 18+ years and Xtant is extremely impressive.Their maybe a better amp out there,but I haven't heard it yet.Very thirsty amp though.My 604x and 1001dx pull @ 160 amps.This system is about as loud as you can get without hearing damage and crystal clear.If anyone knows of a better amp out there,i'd like to hear about it.Curious of the new hd's if anyone has heard one.
Xtant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 07:07 AM   #5
PaulD
Audio Guy

Send a message via AIM to PaulD Send a message via Yahoo to PaulD

wow, this post is 5 years old
PaulD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 09:14 AM   #6
Xtant77
AF Newbie

If anyone has ever been to a Metallica concert and can acheive sound quality close to that,then your in audiophile heaven.This extremely difficult in a vehicle without extinsive sound deadening and high quality equipment with the right installer.I wasn't impressed with a recent install to say the least.I let him install one amp and it looked like Sanford and son had done the job.Long story short,I never let another installer touch my vehicles.Xtant is hard to install if you've never done one but with some studying,anyone can do this.If anyone knows of a better amp,i'd like to hear one.Not saying their isn't one but I haven't heard it yet.
Alpine 9886 H.U.
Alpine component 6 1/2 S-series
Tsunami 40 farad hybrid cap
225amp delco alt.
Xtant 604x amp (mids&tweets)
Xtant 1001dx (3-10 subs)
miles of wiring and sound deadening
Blood,sweat,tears,and alot of dough!
Result:Audiophile heaven and pissed off neighbors.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:32 PM   #7
oneroundko
AF Regular

I had an XTant 1000 watt with two subs that I got after a traded a pistol for them. I then sold them to a friend for about $350. Supposedly they are ridiculous - these were in a sealed box and heavy as sh-t because the magnets are the size of my head - but I haven't seen supposed friend since.
oneroundko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 06:45 PM   #8
batvette
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtant77 View Post
If anyone has ever been to a Metallica concert and can acheive sound quality close to that,then your in audiophile heaven.This extremely difficult in a vehicle without extinsive sound deadening and high quality equipment with the right installer.I wasn't impressed with a recent install to say the least.I let him install one amp and it looked like Sanford and son had done the job.Long story short,I never let another installer touch my vehicles.Xtant is hard to install if you've never done one but with some studying,anyone can do this.If anyone knows of a better amp,i'd like to hear one.Not saying their isn't one but I haven't heard it yet.
Alpine 9886 H.U.
Alpine component 6 1/2 S-series
Tsunami 40 farad hybrid cap
225amp delco alt.
Xtant 604x amp (mids&tweets)
Xtant 1001dx (3-10 subs)
miles of wiring and sound deadening
Blood,sweat,tears,and alot of dough!
Result:Audiophile heaven and pissed off neighbors.
Xtant was pretty popular as an amp when I competed in IASCA in the late 90's, certainly had a unique and classy look. However, and you seemed to express this intelligently, there's a lot of amps out there and so many applications the word "best" is always hard to apply. When they came out, the Soundstream DaVinci was really over the top feature wise, but not everyone could use one- or even have the juice to power one.
I'd offer the best amp would be the one you could buy today, put it in every vehicle you owned for the rest of your life, and it was always hella loud and never broke. This means it would have to have extreme flexibility. And just be one amp, because many cars can't do 2-3 without killing alternators.

I have the one. a/d/s p840. It was in my Vette when I competed and it's in my Honda Passport today, 14 years after I bought it. Of course even a/d/s did better than that, but the $850 I paid was about the upper limit.

It now runs at 120 x 4, with a blower under the seat it doesn't even get warm. Plenty loud and 100% tightly regulated which was crucial for SQ competition when I ran horns.

other good brands I have owned:

PPI Zapco (I had the "system" 3 pc amps. 2 in the Vette. real POS for reliability but nothing else had the output in the form factor)
Phoenix Gold
DEI's early stuff- because I was sponsored and it was a deal!
(however their comp 15's STILL rock my passport 11 years later, all original, along with their processor EQ)
batvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 01:27 PM   #9
Xtant77
AF Newbie

Sounds like you've had audiophile heaven experience a few times.My problem is I have a set of Alpine 6 1/2 spr17 coax's rated for 110rms/330 peak and sound outstanding being pushed by an Xtant 604x but you probably know by reading that statement that i'm putting way too much power too these coax's.I agree;gain settings input 3/4 up and output gain 1/4 up,getting Alpine's crossover's smokin' (burnin out the ceramics).They can't handle the high power.What do ya suggest other than lowering gains even more?I have the x-over settings set pretty high to keep the bass out,but as you may or may not know Xtant is just a guess without guages to verify exact settings.Thanks
Old 04-23-2010, 03:46 PM   #10
Xtant77
AF Newbie

No harm intended,but have you heard Metallica's performance?If you can find a better sounding band,please let me know.I've heard alot of bands but no one can compare to Metallica.If Motley Crue doesn't stand a chance,then who can do it???I have heard sound quality to the highest standards and haven't heard anyone come close.I will pay to see someone that can match or beat that quality!
Old 04-23-2010, 07:01 PM   #11
batvette
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtant77 View Post
Sounds like you've had audiophile heaven experience a few times.My problem is I have a set of Alpine 6 1/2 spr17 coax's rated for 110rms/330 peak and sound outstanding being pushed by an Xtant 604x but you probably know by reading that statement that i'm putting way too much power too these coax's.I agree;gain settings input 3/4 up and output gain 1/4 up,getting Alpine's crossover's smokin' (burnin out the ceramics).They can't handle the high power.What do ya suggest other than lowering gains even more?I have the x-over settings set pretty high to keep the bass out,but as you may or may not know Xtant is just a guess without guages to verify exact settings.Thanks
2 things I can say:

1. I'm not keeping up on what's on the market right now but "back in the day" Alpine was known for the best source and processors, their amps were getting decent. Their speakers were competant up to the mid price range but when the upper end of the market was considered, Alpine speakers were rarely talked about. I looked into the spr 17's and while they seem competant may be a weak point if you really are giving them over 100 watts of clean power. Not bashing alpine and you will pay much more for a significant upgrade (the soundstream exact component system I have retailed for $500 in '98) If had $$$ to throw down the ear candy hole I'd be looking at Focal and similar lines that won't break up so much at higher output levels.

2. If you're going to rock concerts with pro sound reinforcement your ears are being conditioned for abuse and you'll find most modern automobile electrical systems are hard taxed trying to convert 12 volts to usable amplification without serious modifications to either the alternator or the vehicle itself (like using 10"'s in your front stage for mid bass, more efficient than 6 1/2"s or even 8's)

so you may consider lowering your standards about rocking out in the car or pay the price- both now $$$ in your system and tinnitus down the road.

At age 48 and owning loud stereos since I was a kid, it is frustrating to be in a silent room as I cannot get away from the ringing. Also most ear damage occurs when alcohol relaxes your ears natural protection. Don't get drunk and stand in front of the speaker towers at concerts. You'll be sorry years later.

Some work should be done insulating the vehicle if you haven't already, that makes a big difference. A secret of the old school competitors- modeling clay in all the cracks and crevices before you dynamat. It's cheap and works wonders but will migrate if heated.

Finally the sound of Metallica depends not just on the band but their production and touring company's expertise with sound reinforcement and the venue itself. I saw them at:

The Master of Puppets tour, opened for Ozzy

The Black tour, at San Diego Sports Arena, the footage from that night was used on several of their MTV videos (I had 17th row center!)

The GnR stadium tour, first date with James back from his burns but not playing guitar except 2 songs. Sounded like ass but it's a stadium. Curiously saw Pink Floyd same stadium a year later, impeccable sound- but was on the floor so.... different genre as well.

Reloaded tour Sports Arena with the pit stage

the best?

Black tour at the Arena had perfect sound, probably because they had to.
tours with as good quality:
queensryche. seen em 5 times in the 80's and early 90's, always superb.
aforementioned Floyd. World class.
Bon Jovi slippery when wet tour. bubble gum it was not.

google "us festival". saw both, sounded like ass. Not the bands' fault.
batvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:34 PM   #12
Xtant77
AF Newbie

Angry Re: Xtant! very impressed

Update to Xtant amplifiers: Xtant has introduced a new line of amplifiers. They look great but the kicker is like most amps, they are now made in CHINA & shipped back here to sell. Can we not get anymore American made products here? C'mon man!!!! Comments welcome,sincerely Xtant77.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:14 AM   #13
PaulD
Audio Guy

Send a message via AIM to PaulD Send a message via Yahoo to PaulD

Most everyone is doing this. American workers have very littler pride anymore, they just want a paycheck, so businesses move manufacturing overseas.
PaulD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:57 AM   #14
Xtant77
AF Newbie

Talking Re: Xtant! very impressed

To some degree, I agree with you but more or should I say less pride part would be on the business owners instead of the workers. Workers have no choice in deciding if the company moves out of the country. Owners just want lower overhead & want workers sometimes that can work 24 hrs a day in shit conditions. Something to think about. I still love the looks of the new Xtant amp & the fact that I could change different wooden panels for looks & they look extremely easy to adjust especially compared to the older but better models. Comments welcome.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:12 AM   #15
Xtant77
AF Newbie

May be wondering what equipment/experience I have talking about Xtant so much, so I thought I would go ahead & list the items not including blood,sweat,tears, & of course $$$. 21+ years, started @ 91' with my first truck at age 16

Alpine H.U. CDA-9886
Xtant 604x w/3 pqm's
Xtant 1001dx w/remote bass controller
Box of sip ships for any needed changes
40 farad Tsunami cap
3-10's different brands "caught on sale" LOL
Alpine components 3 sets front kicks & doors
Alt. custom built 250 amp w/4 gauge cable (DC Electrical)
Optima red top
Sound deadening mix, Dynamat & some cheaper material from body shop supply
All fits in 2000 Sierra X-cab 4x4

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio