Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 04:47 AM   #1
Ris91
AF Newbie

Exclamation The antiroll bar

I was googling about anti roll bars or sway bars as some say........I saw somewhere it was like a rod connected to two links pivoted and again pivoted to suspension(<http://www.kad-uk.com/media/kad-rear-anti-roll-bar.jpg>) and a second one which is like a single rod twisted at the ends http://www.jamesglass.org/JGA/2labor...tiroll_bar.jpg these two different versions or what ..............can any pro plz explain.........
and second thing i have seen videos relating how sway bars work but in most of videos(animated 3d modelling) i saw they illustrate by moving the wheel on one side up and down(i.e droop and bump) but i reality the chassis move up and down and not the wheels so in reality how sway bars come into action.............
Ris91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 12:10 PM   #2
jdmccright
The RustBuster

Re: The antiroll bar

They work because they are connected to both the frame/body and the articulating suspension. The sway bar is typically a wide, U-shaped bar with the ends connected to the suspension parts (control arm or axle) and the middle attached across the frame or unibody.

When the body starts to roll to one side, the sway bar ends will move with the suspension in relation to the body. But this translates into a torque force in the wide section, which the bar will resist...sort of like a torsion spring. So the bar will limit how much the body will roll. Depending on the size and alloy of the bar, it can be soft or very stiff. How long the ends are in relation to the center section is also a stiffening factor...longer ends can impart a higher torque to the center section, twisting it more.

I'm sure there are Google-able sites to show this better than I can explain, but I hope you get the gist.
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
2003 GMC Envoy XL
2000 Honda ST1100
2000 Pontiac Sunfire

Vehicle History:
2003 Pontiac Vibe AWD - 1999 Acura Integra GS - 2004 4.7L Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 - 1996 GMC Jimmy 4wd - 1995 Chevrolet C2500 - 1992 Toyota Camry LE 2.2L - 1992 Chevrolet S10 Ext. Cab 4.3L - 1995 Honda ST1100 - 1980 Yamaha XS400 - 1980 Mercury Bobcat.

Last edited by jdmccright; 10-01-2009 at 12:13 PM. Reason: grammatical
jdmccright is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
anti , bars , roll
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical