Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Del Sol
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 03:50 AM   #1
cdubb
AF Newbie

what should i do

i just got a del sol about a month ago im enjoying it thoroughly. its a 1993 honda del sol s with 72,000 miles it was fairly good condition i had to replace the back brakes, i also replaced the cv boots on both sides and removed the stock wheels and put the brand new stock tires off a pals 98 civic as he bought new wheels when he got his car some years ago. i also replaced the plugs/wires/cap and gave it an oil change and also installed a aem cold air intake, now im wondering what else should need fixing? id also like to try and squeeze more performance out of this car if possible with upgrades? any suggestions?
cdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 01:53 PM   #2
94SolGrl
Honda GODDESS/Global Mod

Send a message via AIM to 94SolGrl Send a message via MSN to 94SolGrl
Re: what should i do

well you have an intake, so I would go with a header and exhaust next. DC sports is the only header I will ever let near a car, and exhausts range. The Apex'i N1 Turbo exhaust is a good cat-back system. After that, an MSD ignition will give you a bit more power... depends on how much you wanna put into that engine. With the low miles, it's definitely a turbo candidate if you wanna do that route, or you could just build and build. But definitely get that header and exhaust before anything else. You might also wanna look into a mini-me swap... basically, it's putting a D16, SOHC VTEC head onto your non-VTEC engine. VTEC usually gives you an extra 10-15whp on a good day. And it makes a cool noise.

HOW TO POST PICS!
94SolGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 01:41 AM   #3
cdubb
AF Newbie

why would an ignition give me more power? also, i want to get an exhaust but would a custom cat back high flow full exhaust (no name brand) be just as good as the ones u mentioned? ya im gonna get the dc sports 4-2-1 ceramic header and the aem fuel rail as well, and is that possible to add vtec to my non vtec engine?
Old 11-30-2004, 03:58 PM   #4
AudioGuy93DelSol
NA is Best!

Send a message via AIM to AudioGuy93DelSol
Better ignition, like low resistance wires and all that gives a more powerful spark, so it burns fuel more throughly which = more power. Different mufflers will have different sounds ranging from a fart can, to a nice smooth deep sound. Id try and find reviews if your thinking about a name brand, if you go no name, just cross your fingers? (if you do get a catback youll lose a good bit of your low end torque) ive heard some no names that sound good though. upgrading your fuel system is good for alot of extra ponies too. fuel rail, fuel pump, pressure reg, bigger injectors, but you scrafice good gas milage. Yes its possible to add vtec. you need the head from a d16z6 like solgrl said, i think you need an ECU from a vtec motor too, but i dont know find someone else who did it and ask them. i have a 93 si so alreay have Vtec

"How many NASCAR passes is that worth? 500?" (Schumacher passing Raikkonen)

Emily is amazing, and she messed with my sig AGAIN!

AudioGuy93DelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 03:50 AM   #5
cdubb
AF Newbie

ok so aem fuel rail would be good but lordco said they dont have it for del sol?? and what ignition should i buy? how much do they cost, im gonna buy a dc sports ceramic 4-2-1 header and get a custom cat back exahust with 3 inch piping and stainless muffler tommorow

and who knows about adding vtec to this del sol model s, oh and sorry it actually has 98,000 miles for some reason i thought 2.2 km was one mile
the odometer has 158,000 kilometers so i think thats 98000 miles anyways

is it possible to add a supercharger to this engine
Old 12-02-2004, 05:31 PM   #6
Plastic_Fork
AF Enthusiast

I would recommend getting 2.25" piping. You won't need three inch piping unless you're running boost, otherwise you'll loose backpressure and performance and your motor already lacks torque as is.

You really won't need to upgrade the ignition, but new ground wires will do wonders for your electronics and spark and it costs less. Most pro-class Honda's use the stock ignition system.

If you swap the D16Z6 head onto your D15B, this is known as a "mini-me" swap. It's been performed numerous times and there is a LOT of information on this board regarding this swap. I suggest you use the search function to locate the information and read up.

And yes, you can supercharge or turbo this motor. They make both for your motor, but I would recommend an engine build-up to ensure that it runs reliably under boost.

1995 Honda CRX del Sol VTEC
Manufactured: Suzuka, Japan
Production Sequence #1269

Team Del Sol member #1131
HondaVision: Team Sol Forum - Home of Team Del Sol

Old 12-03-2004, 07:23 PM   #7
cdubb
AF Newbie

Re: Re: what should i do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plastic_Fork
I would recommend getting 2.25" piping. You won't need three inch piping unless you're running boost, otherwise you'll loose backpressure and performance and your motor already lacks torque as is.

You really won't need to upgrade the ignition, but new ground wires will do wonders for your electronics and spark and it costs less. Most pro-class Honda's use the stock ignition system.

If you swap the D16Z6 head onto your D15B, this is known as a "mini-me" swap. It's been performed numerous times and there is a LOT of information on this board regarding this swap. I suggest you use the search function to locate the information and read up.

And yes, you can supercharge or turbo this motor. They make both for your motor, but I would recommend an engine build-up to ensure that it runs reliably under boost.

thanks for the info man! ok so yeah i think i def need a new grounding kit cus my accessories are so dim etc...who makes good grounding kits, also where would i find a head from a db16z6 and how much would the mini me swap cost entirely? is it way to expensive? and does aem make the fuel rail for this 93 honda del sol s cus i called lordco and they said it doesnt exist for del sol 93
Old 12-05-2004, 01:32 PM   #8
Plastic_Fork
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: what should i do

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubb
thanks for the info man! ok so yeah i think i def need a new grounding kit cus my accessories are so dim etc...who makes good grounding kits, also where would i find a head from a db16z6 and how much would the mini me swap cost entirely? is it way to expensive? and does aem make the fuel rail for this 93 honda del sol s cus i called lordco and they said it doesnt exist for del sol 93
For the grouding kit, the Del Sol has three engine ground wires. One that runs from the battery negative to the chassis, one that runs from the transmission case to the chassis, and one from your valve cover to the chassis. You can either buy all three new from Honda (they're not that expensive - I think the most expensive one was $15 or so) or you can make your own out of good quality electrical wire / stereo wire. I know a few people who have made their own on the Team Sol forums. It should help your dim electronics quite a bit and make your headlights brighter, etc. Might even help it start up better. I've been meaning to find time to do this to my Del Sol as well.

For the D16Z6 head, check junkyards or there are a few places online that sell entire motors. The D16Z6 motor probably won't be much more than $600, give or take. The head is less - maybe $100 - $200? Could be less than that even. Check around the board and see if anyone has one for sale as well. Might want to head over to the Team Sol forums and check there - usually someone selling stuff there. As for how much the head swap costs, you'll need the head, intake manifold, ECU from the D16Z6, ECU harness (I think), and may have to run the VTEC wire and maybe a couple others. A decent shop should be able to swap for you including cost of the head for probably under $1,000. I can't give you a better figure because I've never priced the head swap before, so don't take my estimates as fact.

And I don't think they make the fuel rail for the S model. If you swap the D16Z6 head onto your motor though, they do make one for the Si which will fit the new intake manifold you'll need for the D16Z6 head. Don't feel too bad though - apparantly they don't make one for my VTEC model either.

http://www.aempower.com/product_fuel_app.asp

Old 12-06-2004, 01:31 AM   #9
cdubb
AF Newbie

great thanks for the information, ok so now that ive done all this stuff, what other things can i do to improve my del sol....performance wise, im gonna do exterior in the spring....

what other things u think i should upgrade ive got some extra bucks so i wanna pump em into my car
Old 12-08-2004, 10:23 PM   #10
Plastic_Fork
AF Enthusiast

My "expert" advice is spend that extra money on tracking down any small issues on the car (brakes, lithium grease for weather seals on targa, etc.) or putting it toward preventative maintenance on the motor like clutch, timing belt, etc. Good to have plans but if you've got spare cash lying around, make sure your car still runs strong. That's my recommendations for the moment.

Old 12-09-2004, 03:30 AM   #11
cdubb
AF Newbie

could i use the AEM Fuel Rail for the Honda Civic 1992-94 All 25-108 $185 ........or would it not fit???
Old 12-09-2004, 03:32 AM   #12
cdubb
AF Newbie

where can i get that grease done for the targa top, also where could i get the trunk leak resolved cheaply? also what do u mean by brakes, i jus got my back brake shoes replaced but my brakes still sqeal kind of, plus no ABS, i need better stopping power how do i go about getting just that
Old 12-09-2004, 06:35 PM   #13
mydelsolrocks
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to mydelsolrocks
Thumbs up welcome

Glad to see an S every once and a while.
I had a 94 and loved it.....i miss my sol
anyhoo, here are some ideas and info

mini me owns! Ok, you will need
d16z6 distributor
d16z6 head gasket
d16z6 valve cover gasket
d16z6 timing belt
d16z6 spark plugs AND wires
2-wire pigtail for VTEC soleniod harness
p28 ECU
im sure there are some other parts, just cant recall em right now.....get someone who knows what they are doing to help you. Also, do your research, get a stack of info from online (i did the mini-me and there is alot of write-ups online) and ask us. examlpe, there is a little sleeve in an oil route on the top of your block (where head goes) and you have to pull that sleeve out else no vtec.

ok, wile your heads off you may want to go ahead and get cam gear, cam, injectors and the fuel rail as well as the FPU and a new fuel filter. if you can, get:
VAFC
d16y8 intake manifold (flow more air)
d16y8 head gaskette (more compression)
if you replace the clutch, try to get a lighter flywheel. I had a middle weight 11.0 lb JUN flywheel and an excedy (SP?) mid level clutch.

better stopping power?? get better shocks and springs then go for the bigbrake kits they are expensive but well worth it! Make sure you have rims large enough. you could also get better pads and rotors with some braided brake lines, this will help. For stability, you can get ITR (integra) anti-sway bars and also get some upper/lower front/back strut tower bars....they do help.

if you ever super/turbo your D make sure to build it. you can run like 6 lbs stock but trust me, more boost=more fun
as far as which to choose, most would recomend a t3/t4 hybrid turbo and a jackson racing supercharger.
As for building internals, D blocks are really meant for low power so you have to replace rods and pistons maybe eagle H beam sounds nice?
You shuld also have your crank checked and get new bearings while your there.

IF your really wantin to do allll this stuff to your SOL you may want to consider doing an engine swap.....all these mods will get you only slightly faster than a stockish vtec sol......a gsr-r will still get you so if you start higher and then build, you will be faster.
A few engines to consider...
d16z6 << normal sol Si motor, good for bout 125 hp
b16b7 << DOHC VTEC engine bout 160hp
b18XX << ITR engine, there are vtec and non vtec so pick one 130-170? hp
b20bX <<CRV engine, good torque, hard to find some parts
wanna go crazy? try maybe h23 with h22 head (frankenstein)
Just reember, its true....there is no replacement for displacement.
and you get what you pay for
If you just want to stick with the SOHC and amaze people when you tell em you have only a 1.5 litre(i loved it) then stick with the d15 and have fun man. BTW, dont be stupid and street race, everyone here im sure has a horror story bout it so be smart, race at the track man.

...jeez, ill quit now, this is long

motoko kusanagi
mydelsolrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 01:22 AM   #14
Plastic_Fork
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubb
where can i get that grease done for the targa top, also where could i get the trunk leak resolved cheaply? also what do u mean by brakes, i jus got my back brake shoes replaced but my brakes still sqeal kind of, plus no ABS, i need better stopping power how do i go about getting just that
Here's your targa seal info:
Lithium grease - Honda P/N 08798-9013
http://www.teamdelsol.com/technical/...ce/default.asp

As for the trunk leak, make sure your seals are clean and lubed as well (same grease as the targa uses). If this doesn't help, either your drain tubes are clogged or your seals are fubar. Checking the seals and drain tubes can be done on your own time for free. Replacing the seals costs lots of $$$.

And by brakes I mean exactly what you did. Replace the pads and shoes, machine/replace the rotors or drums, have your CV joint boots replaced if the joints are in good shape, and have the joints re-lubed. Will do wonders for your braking performance.

Just some ideas to get you started.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Del Sol