Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Skyline | Skyline GT-R | Stagea | Laurel > General Discussion
General Discussion All general comments or enquiries go here. Website, club oriented, or general Skyline banter.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-21-2001, 09:50 AM   #1
NaJiRa
AF Newbie

R35-This is what it should be

i think that the Nissan should give u a choice
like most other cars u can have different engine specs
keep the rb26 and call it the GT-R and put the V8 in and call it the GT-R V8 or sumthin like that.....personally id rekon that the V8 would make more power and torque (the 206kw(280ps) power rating is only a quote as to respect the government...the evo 6 actually made 230kw after a dyno test(engine))....ALSO the ROUND tail lights BETTER still be there(or at least a hint like the new integra) and the MASSIVLY PUMPED GUARDS.....we all know that the japanese are FURIOUS about the v35 skyline so lets just hope that nissan will put their act together like toyota has been doin(new levin sprinter)
Old 07-21-2001, 11:40 AM   #2
IanMalcolm
AF Newbie

Actually, so far, the V35 has been very well recieved (from reports of some friends I know who live there).
IanMalcolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2001, 02:14 AM   #3
NaJiRa
AF Newbie

realli???.....i heard that the skyline inthusiasts REALLY dont like it there.....i mean its a good car and all but just not a skyline...if u know what i mean
Old 07-22-2001, 10:52 AM   #4
IanMalcolm
AF Newbie

So far Nissan has recieved strong inquiries about it..people are saying its beautiful, great technology, etc. The only downside is the 4 rear lights are gone, but MIGHT be replaced on the GTR.
IanMalcolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 12:27 AM   #5
asian1pride
AF Newbie

The New "Skyline"

AS you people have found out the new G35 skyline hasn't got the round tail lights but nissan is actually trying to seperate GTR from skyline now that is why they r making the V35 GTR as well as the G35 skyline and the V35 still has the same identifiing taillights
asian1pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 10:40 AM   #6
NIF
AF Regular

Skyline Engine Choices

I agree people should have their choice of engine. But you know what is funny people keep saying it wont be a "Skyline" if it doesn't have an RB series motor in it. Well I don't agree. I mean what really makes the Skyline a Skyline. Is it the motor? Is it the chassis? Is it the styling? Or is it the overall package? My choice would be the latter.

But back to the motor. Six months ago I posted that the GTR would get a v-8. I'll say it again the GTR will get a v-8. Now I know that some people don't like the thought of a v-8, due to the fact that it is usually associated with american muscle cars. But think about this; most of the f-1 cars use a v-8, all cart cars are v-8's, as well as all of the IRL cars.
In fact one of the engine suppliers in the IRL is Infinity, also there will be a new feeder series for the IRL called the Infinity Pro Series. These cars will be powered by a 450hp version of the Q-45's v-8, hmm.... sounds familiar. Guys the new GTR motor has deeper ties to racing than the hallowed rb26dett. (just pissed a lot of people off, oh well) It makes great power, its light, and (having heard the exhaust note of the IPS cars first hand) has a glorious sound. Just my 2 cents.
NIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 11:54 AM   #7
Gonthrax
Skyline Guy

Send a message via AIM to Gonthrax
Re: Skyline Engine Choices

Quote:
Originally posted by NIF
But back to the motor. Six months ago I posted that the GTR would get a v-8. I'll say it again the GTR will get a v-8. Now I know that some people don't like the thought of a v-8, due to the fact that it is usually associated with american muscle cars. But think about this; most of the f-1 cars use a v-8, all cart cars are v-8's, as well as all of the IRL cars.
In fact one of the engine suppliers in the IRL is Infinity, also there will be a new feeder series for the IRL called the Infinity Pro Series. These cars will be powered by a 450hp version of the Q-45's v-8, hmm.... sounds familiar. Guys the new GTR motor has deeper ties to racing than the hallowed rb26dett. (just pissed a lot of people off, oh well) It makes great power, its light, and (having heard the exhaust note of the IPS cars first hand) has a glorious sound. Just my 2 cents.
All these things are true, but when you look at the differences between the two engines there are many. Both may be great engines, but one is an inline 6, and one is a V-8, both known for different things, and almost as for apart on the spectrum as you can get, save a 4cyl and a V12. Inline 6 TT, high reving, quick response, good high end power (due to turbos). V-8 lower reving, slower pickup (without mods) low end power, mucho torque. To me, these things arn't charecteristics of a race car. Now if as you say it is closely related to the IRL engines, then most likely itr will be a good engine so it shouldn't have these problems. Another thing, what about turbos? What about potential, now if this V-8 is one that can be tunes with the ease of the RB series, then good... I will be satisfied. I doubt it though You say it's the over all package that makes a Skyline what it is, I agree, but the engine is part of that total package, and if it's not right, then the whole package will be off.

Just my .02, I'll still take one
Member of AF's Slide Squad (Member #04)

Quote:
Originally posted by taranaki
Postcounts - Phoey....it's not how often you speak,it's whether you actually say anything that matters.

Neishlin Motors
Soon to be my best friend
Gonthrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 01:13 PM   #8
NIF
AF Regular

Gonthrax

Hey don't get me wrong, I hate the fact that the rb motors are going away (as well as the sr-20). Your absolutely right about the inline six being a quick revver. But the motor in the IPS cars is all but stock nissan and they are reving them at 7500-9000 rpm and thats for about an hour per race. The production GTR v-8 probably won't rev as high as the rb (athough it could, and should imho ). See the old Q-45 motors were slow and porky, but the redesign was lightened and strengthened. Won't be as slow reving as what we expect from an 8. The big question, and determining factor for the redline, will be the cams. I would imagine that with the GTR being lighter than the Q, and with it being a performance car that they will put in some cams designed for higher rpm's.
On a side note the Q-45 that nissan brings to the IRL races has some serious ass, even in a big car.

Oh by the way, Gonthrax, you're everywhere. When I go lurking in other threads you seem to be in every damn one:silly2: :huh: .
Old 05-01-2002, 01:28 PM   #9
Gonthrax
Skyline Guy

Re: Gonthrax

Quote:
Originally posted by NIF
Hey don't get me wrong, I hate the fact that the rb motors are going away (as well as the sr-20). Your absolutely right about the inline six being a quick revver. But the motor in the IPS cars is all but stock nissan and they are reving them at 7500-9000 rpm and thats for about an hour per race. The production GTR v-8 probably won't rev as high as the rb (athough it could, and should imho ). See the old Q-45 motors were slow and porky, but the redesign was lightened and strengthened. Won't be as slow reving as what we expect from an 8. The big question, and determining factor for the redline, will be the cams. I would imagine that with the GTR being lighter than the Q, and with it being a performance car that they will put in some cams designed for higher rpm's.
On a side note the Q-45 that nissan brings to the IRL races has some serious ass, even in a big car.

Oh by the way, Gonthrax, you're everywhere. When I go lurking in other threads you seem to be in every damn one:silly2: :huh: .
Well, I have faith in Nissan, I'm sure whatever it is they won't dissapoint me. You make a good point about the cams in that even if it's not as revvie you could fix that with some cam gears and perhaps some lightened parts. Now hopefuly the V-8 will be turbo friendly, that would be a dream come true:alien:

Mr. T told me that exact same thing a few days ago I just try to go and stick my nose in all over the place were I have somthin to say I've even been in Honda OT and Technical Fancy that, a Nissan man in a honda forum j/k

Quote:
Postcounts - Phoey....it's not how often you speak,it's whether you actually say anything that matters.

Neishlin Motors
Old 05-04-2002, 10:09 AM   #10
CARS
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to CARS
You all have been very patient, but now you will be disappointed

From Nissan to BEST MAGAZINE:
Some tidbits from the the write-up accompanying the pics (although most people could already guess this stuff):

(1) This rendition of the GT-R is apparently based on a sneak preview of the current exterior on the prototype as seen by BestCar. Leaked information suggests that Nissan are aiming to have the exterior of the car the first part that is finalized.
(2) As of March 2002, Nissan has begun testing the current prototype of the GT-R at the Suzuka track in Japan.
(3)The engine is going to be a 3.5ltr twin turbo based on the VQ35 block (V6) with power output at 350ps (resulting in a power to weight ratio of 4.28kg/ps). Unfortunately, the writer notes that current testing is showing the VQ35 block to be a weak point of the engine when hp starts to rise above 400ps.
(4) Japan pricing is targetted at Y6,000,000.
(5) The US will likely get the car at a similar price point as Japan, however, if it is to go to Europe it will be priced significantly higher (they say almost double).
(6) The production model will be shown at the Tokyo Motor Show in 2003 with the consumer getting their hands on the car in 2004.
(7) Size statistics are as follows: 4500mm (L); 1850mm (W); 1360mm (H); 2850mm (Wheelbase); and 1500kg (Weight).
(8) Performance statistics as as follows: 350ps/7500rpm; 55.0kgm/5500rpm.

These facts are directly from the article but I would say take them with a grain of salt as even the writer suggests that there appears to be continuous new information being leaked.

:bandit: :smoka: :smoka:
CARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2002, 07:56 AM   #11
R31DriftKing
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to R31DriftKing Send a message via Yahoo to R31DriftKing
v35........*shudder*

first of all, f-1 cars use either v-10 or v-12 NA motors revvin from 9000-12000rpm constanly, second of all, cart cars use a v-6 with a massive turbo. just a question, have u guys seen the new Infinity G35? watch the commercial and look at the V35 sedan, u should see that it is pretty much the same car....just a little comment on my end...
the skyline should keep the RB motor, thats what made the car famous.
R31DriftKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2002, 05:32 PM   #12
NIF
AF Regular

racing engines

Cars:
Yeah Iheard that there would be a twin turbo six, but Ihave read from 2 unrelated reliable sources that there would be the six and a v-8. But as we all know all things are subject to change.

R31DriftKing: Your post seemed pretty inflamitory, I corrected myself on the f-1 motor issue, but not in this thread. Anyhow here goes, I work for Target Chip Ganassi Racing, so I work on both IRL, and CART cars:frog:. F-1 motors are indeed now all of the v-10 variety not v-12, some teams used to use either v-8's or v-12's but now all 11 teams are using v-10. Seconly f-1 motors make there power closer to 19000 rpm not the paultry 9-12 you said. Finally this year marks what will most likely be the last year for the turbocharged engine configuration, all of which are v-8's. The last v-6 used was the buick/menard motor last used in the 95 season for CART, and the 96 season in the IRL. These motors would make some serious power but when you started them up you were basically pulling the pin out of a grenade:hehe: .
Old 05-06-2002, 07:52 PM   #13
darkness
AF Fanatic

If you guys want to have a look at the JGTC website http://www.jgtc.net you will see that the GT-R teams will be debuting a twin-turbo V6 later this season. Most likely the basis for the new GT-R engine.

And the number of cylinders only has a little to do with how an engine revs. It has to do with displacement as well. A large v8 revs slow because of the weight of the pistons it has to pull around. where as a CART engine which is smaller revs very quickly.

But admittedly it is up to overall design.
"Have you seen Star Wars? The Darkness is the Force on crack"
darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 07:45 AM   #14
R31DriftKing
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to R31DriftKing Send a message via Yahoo to R31DriftKing
f-1/cart engines

hey, sorry bout that. just what i remembered from my younger days watchin that stuff, but now that i am in the states, its hard to find an f-1 show/race on TV...but seriously, look at the new G35 and u'll see what im talkin bout...
R31DriftKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 11:34 AM   #15
Gonthrax
Skyline Guy

Re: racing engines

Quote:
Originally posted by NIF
R31DriftKing: Your post seemed pretty inflamitory, I corrected myself on the f-1 motor issue, but not in this thread. Anyhow here goes, I work for Target Chip Ganassi Racing, so I work on both IRL, and CART cars:frog:.
Interesting, so what exactialy do you do on these cars?

As for the RB series going the way of the dodo, I've decided that I think it sucks but no amount of my bitching about it can change anything so I'll just sit back, hope Nissan makes a nice little V-8, and perhaps the RB and SR20 will make a comeback some time

Quote:

Neishlin Motors

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Skyline | Skyline GT-R | Stagea | Laurel > General Discussion