Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 07:48 PM   #1
phoneman85
AF Newbie

Interested in learning more about OBD2 and CAN

Hello all,

I've been interested in electronics for quite some time, and recently, I've been getting more involved with car electronics. I'm really wanting to know about the communications/networking side of things in the newer cars, namely obd/can and the modules involved. I have a basic understanding of the codes, the primary modules (ECU, BCM, etc) and the different protocols used, but realize with the newer cars, there's so much more.
I have one of the more advanced Bosch scan tools that will do freeze frame, some graphs, etc, and have worked some with the Snap On Modis back when I worked at a shop.

The main thing I'd like is recommendations for sites/books, etc that really get into the technical stuff. I'd also like to find wiring diagrams for the more "connected" cars, like Prius, Volt, or really any newer car with the more sophisticated network. My 03 Murano has quite a bit on the CAN bus, but I know these newer cars have Nav, 4G, backup cam, security, and so much more. These systems aren't going away, and me being an electronics hobbyist and knowledge seeker, I just really want to learn. I've seen most of the sites dealing with this topic, and watched several Youtube vids, going over everything from basics to people monkeying with it.
Thanks in advance for any help!
phoneman85 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical