Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > M5
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 06:06 PM   #1
carbuilder2002
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to carbuilder2002
V10 Tuning Possibilities

Has any one here have any information or heard anything on the tuning posibilities of the V10 engine.
I am buildting a one off mid engined coupe and so far my engine options are BMW V10 or Dodge Viper V10.
Of the 2 the BMW is lighter and more thechnically advanced, the Dodge is heavier more agricultural but does produce more power and I know it can be tuned to over 700bhp.
Whilst I would rather use the BMW engine it just has not got the power I am seeking in standard form.
Any recomendations would be eagerly sought.
carbuilder2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 01:11 AM   #2
CassiesMan
AF Vendor

Send a message via AIM to CassiesMan
Re: V10 Tuning Possibilities

Whats your budget? There are superchargers, stroker kits, tons of bolt ons for the BMW S85B50. How much do you have to spend, and we can go from there.
CassiesMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 03:43 AM   #3
carbuilder2002
AF Enthusiast

Budget I suppose if I am looking for a particular output whatever it takes but may take a while to raise the cash if it gets silly.
Basically looking for 680bhp or there abouts I would have thought the BMW V10 would have a lot of expansion in it as its just been developed recently.
Not interested in forced induction looking to stay naturally aspirated if possible.
Dry sump is a yes to reduce the height and c of g
Lightened as much as practical to allow free reving

Wiling to consider most things really except tubos etc
Old 04-03-2009, 08:47 AM   #4
CassiesMan
AF Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbuilder2002 View Post
Budget I suppose if I am looking for a particular output whatever it takes but may take a while to raise the cash if it gets silly.
Basically looking for 680bhp or there abouts I would have thought the BMW V10 would have a lot of expansion in it as its just been developed recently.
Not interested in forced induction looking to stay naturally aspirated if possible.
Dry sump is a yes to reduce the height and c of g
Lightened as much as practical to allow free reving

Wiling to consider most things really except tubos etc
The Dinan stroker V10 motor, which pushes out the BMW V10 to 5.7L, would be your best bet. With Dinan's kit (high flow mass air meters, ITBs, and mufflers), it makes 611bhp. So, one could rightfully assume that the stroker V10, adding headers and a full header back exhaust (not just mufflers), some other little power bolt ons, and a more aggresive tune (Dinan really doesn't push the limits of the motor), 680bhp shouldn't be out of reach.

RDSport also has a stroker kit for 5.6L that is supposed to be good for 648bhp. However, they don't list any information at all on their website, so you may need to contact them directly. Again, I think this is on an other wise stock set up, so I think that with a few bore bolt ons, 680bhp is not an outragous goal.

If your out on FI, then those are your two best options. The engine itself revs pretty high as it is, and from driving a few stock M5s, they rev pretty quick. Flywheels and all that should be available if you grab a six speed transmission. You'll need to look around for that stuff.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:00 PM   #5
carbuilder2002
AF Enthusiast

Many thanks for that, judging by your terminology youre based in the USA, there does not seem to be the interest in tuning the V10 in the UK as far as I can find, was hoping there may be some German posters here as am sure they will be wacking up the power output.
Failing that at least you have given me a possible route albeit a long distance one.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:03 PM   #6
CassiesMan
AF Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbuilder2002 View Post
Many thanks for that, judging by your terminology youre based in the USA, there does not seem to be the interest in tuning the V10 in the UK as far as I can find, was hoping there may be some German posters here as am sure they will be wacking up the power output.
Failing that at least you have given me a possible route albeit a long distance one.
Most of the stuff we get in the aftermarket for BMWs comes from European or Asian countries. I'm sure that AC Schnitzer or one of the German groups will have some good stuff out for the S85. Most of it seems to fall into forced induction, however.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:37 PM   #7
carbuilder2002
AF Enthusiast

They certainly do but nothing close to what Dining seem to be achieving.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > M5