Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-14-2003, 07:13 PM   #16
soopermax02
AF Newbie

FWD 5speed vs RWD 6 speed in twisties?

Quote:
Originally posted by BlOOe46
i think everyone is giving the 350z too much credit

i hope u all run into an SRT4 on the street . . . or in the "twisties"
No contest in the twisties my friend. Your FWD buddy will be hitting the brakes and my RWD buddy will be hitting the gas come that first corner.

You ought to know, if your into E46s!
You've got uncontrollable understeer vs. controllable oversteer. That neon will be sliding into the ditch while the Z drifts around effortlessly!

Not to mention the lateral grip is superior on the Z. But what do you expect in a car that cost at least $6.5k more.

Anyway, 'Z' ya later!
Old 03-15-2003, 08:32 AM   #17
dolla_bill0913
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by NISSANSPDR

Evo and WRX are rally cars that are now legal on the street...ever heard of the FIA WRC ?
1st the rally cars and street legal production cars are 2 totally different cars. 2nd dodge neons are used as rally cars, maybe not in the FIA WRC, but neons have been used as rally cars for awhile now. 3rd what point are you trying to get at with this statement, there are many production cars that are also used in racing, but that doesnt make the production cars any better or any worse.
Old 03-15-2003, 07:15 PM   #18
TatII
AF Fanatic

well soopermax02 to defend the front wheel drives, you can elimate understeer with left foot braking.

Best E.T. 13.559
Best Trap speed 107.62 mph
Old 03-17-2003, 09:23 AM   #19
BlOOe46
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to BlOOe46
Re: FWD 5speed vs RWD 6 speed in twisties?

Quote:
Originally posted by soopermax02

No contest in the twisties my friend. Your FWD buddy will be hitting the brakes and my RWD buddy will be hitting the gas come that first corner.

You ought to know, if your into E46s!
You've got uncontrollable understeer vs. controllable oversteer. That neon will be sliding into the ditch while the Z drifts around effortlessly!

Not to mention the lateral grip is superior on the Z. But what do you expect in a car that cost at least $6.5k more.

Anyway, 'Z' ya later!
what do i expect? hmmm . . . lets put any experienced SCCA FF driver into an srt4 neon and see if u will still be so confident?

i could imagine this theory of uncontrollable understeer working if there was an inexperienced driver piloting the neon . . . but did u ever think with a half-competent driver who knew how to take a turn while keeping revs up, the driver could get the most of the turbo and absolutely rape the 350z?
Old 03-18-2003, 08:46 AM   #20
soopermax02
AF Newbie

Re: Re: FWD 5speed vs RWD 6 speed in twisties?

Quote:

what do i expect? hmmm . . . lets put any experienced SCCA FF driver into an srt4 neon and see if u will still be so confident?

Absolutely. Put a similarly knowledgeable person behind the wheel of the Z and it's Z ya later! You can't break the rules of physics my friend.

Quote:

i could imagine this theory of uncontrollable understeer working if there was an inexperienced driver piloting the neon . . . but did u ever think with a half-competent driver who knew how to take a turn while keeping revs up, the driver could get the most of the turbo and absolutely rape the 350z?
I agree any competent driver should be using two feet, to keep the revs up; but fact remains RWD has the tremendous advantage. The forces on the front tires on the FF are simply working against you until you hit the apex. Any increase in acceleration exaggerates the slip angle of the tires (leading to traction failure). Where as in RWD acceleration will DECREASE the slip angle. There's just no way around it, RWD is superior in cornering. It is also superior during heavy acceleration, due to the physics of weight transfer. And to boot the Z has a superior unequal length multi-link front suspension (leading to incredibly precise and true steering response and road feel).

Don't get me wrong the Neon SRT-4 is great bang for the buck, but a sports car it isn't.
Old 03-18-2003, 09:15 AM   #21
BlOOe46
AF Enthusiast

this is going too much into the theory of automotive handling . . .

the only way to really know, is to actually witness the race at hand . . . and i will put dollars to donuts that the outcome of such a race with equally competent drivers will give ur textbook theory a run for its money
Old 03-18-2003, 06:37 PM   #22
soopermax02
AF Newbie

Quote:
this is going too much into the theory of automotive handling . . .

the only way to really know, is to actually witness the race at hand . . . and i will put dollars to donuts that the outcome of such a race with equally competent drivers will give ur textbook theory a run for its money
I can identify with you, for years I thought the same way...

In normal driving you really can't tell much of a difference. You really can't; and I that's what led me to think that there wasn't that big a difference. But when I start to push a car real hard, close to the limits; that's when it becomes like night and day.

Go spend the day at the racetrack. Go on an open day, when you can see various street cars. Now most of these people are "enthusiast" and don't drive cars for a living, but they know a thing or two. It blew my mind seeing ITRs with much more horsepower than say a 240SX getting beat.

And after that I too came around, and bought my TT 300ZX!
Old 03-18-2003, 08:41 PM   #23
flylwsi
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to flylwsi
in regards to the wrx and lancer evo being econo boxes...

what do you think they started as?

the impreza and base lancer are econo boxes.

the stock neon is an econo box...

are the wrx evo and srt4 econ boxes?
not really...

considering the power output of the neon, i think you'd be hard pressed to keep up with it, given that they make 220ish to the wheels... (rated 215 at the crank... sandbaggin?)

the z may be faster through the corners, but if you're on a twisty road that has any straight, the speed of the neon out of the corner will keep the race tight as hell...

automotive theories of handling aside, i'd have to see it to believe it.

basically, a neon srt4 will not get RAPED by a z on a twisty road.

keep in mind the qoutes of enzo ferrari "the corners are there to join the straights..."

i'm not saying fwd/rwd is better handling, but it's an overall thing, not just in the cornering.
Old 03-18-2003, 08:44 PM   #24
flylwsi
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to flylwsi
and one more thing...

the topic is about the 1/4 mile... who gives a rat's ass about the cornering?

not the thread starter...

the neon runs 14.2 in the 1/4, the z runs 14.4.

you answered your own question.

stock for stock 1/4, neon.

thanks, discussion is over...

(here comes the replies about "what if the 350z had the tt kit" etc...)

what if the neon were built just like the z was?

it'd still be hella quick...

everyone likes to mod one side of a comparison to beat the other... that neon motor can be built just as well as a 350z motor my friends...

8 second k cars? 10 second caravans?
what do you think's under the hood...
polygon will vouch for that...
Old 03-19-2003, 08:38 AM   #25
soopermax02
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by flylwsi
and one more thing...

the topic is about the 1/4 mile... who gives a rat's ass about the cornering?

not the thread starter...

the neon runs 14.2 in the 1/4, the z runs 14.4.

you answered your own question.

stock for stock 1/4, neon.

thanks, discussion is over...

After a $10 aquarium hose valve modified to control the wastegate of the neon, that neon will ream the Z in the 1/4 mile. And could probably run down quite a few Camaros and Firebirds while it was there.

For that it harbors my respect. That puts total cost about $5 over $20k. That's a lot of bang for the buck...

Sorry I cluttered the thread. Have a nice day.
Old 03-19-2003, 09:08 AM   #26
BlOOe46
AF Enthusiast

as long as were all on the same page now
Old 03-19-2003, 09:42 PM   #27
TatII
AF Fanatic

don't believe road and track, they are slow. every other reading that i got is either a 14.1 or 14 flat.

Best E.T. 13.559
Old 03-23-2003, 07:18 AM   #28
dolla_bill0913
AF Enthusiast

I just cant get over the fact that a 4 door that costs less is faster then a 2 door that costs more. That just doesnt sound right, unless it is a luxury car that has 100,000 options, but the base 350z is not what I would call a luxury car. You buy a little 2 door to go fast and it should be able to spank any sport car wanabe. Maybe Nissan should of made the 350z faster or at least cheaper. I dont want to start a war over how these cars can be modded, but remember the more money you save on a cheaper car, means the more money you can spend to make it better.
Old 03-23-2003, 05:35 PM   #29
TatII
AF Fanatic

well the Z should have better build quality. and the wasn't designed to be a be all end all car for 27,000. its suppose to be a true sports car that is fun to drive, and is more of a drivers car.

Best E.T. 13.559
Old 04-09-2003, 06:50 PM   #30
feenix z
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to feenix z
Exclamation Whats the debate about

Seriously, whats the big debate about? who cares about the 1/4, they are only fractions of a second apart, you couldnt even spot the difference if you were looking for it. besides, how many people have the experience to get either of those cars to those times on the strip or street. but the 350 was designed to be driven like it was stolen with its engine and near perfect balance, so thats what i would take