Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
View Poll Results: Camaro SS or Mustang Cobra
Camaro 76 59.38%
Mustang 52 40.63%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-09-2002, 06:03 PM   #166
68 Stang
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to 68 Stang
I dont know much bout the speed of the two cars, but i know they both go good. So basing it on looks alone i would definitely go for the cobra before i ever touched the Camaro. Part of my decision was also that u camaro lovers act like a Stang can't touch u guys! Stop lyin to yourselves, us with stangs, got same chance as u do with your camaros. You guys cant say that a Z28 would beat a GT, or that an SS would beat a Cobra, ! STOCK ! dont go sayin, that if u just drop a blower in it, then it would beat it, Stock is all that says anything.
Old 09-09-2002, 08:50 PM   #167
Chris
Oldie

Send a message via AIM to Chris Send a message via MSN to Chris
And, stock for stock, the F-body blows away the Stang. Say, in 1999, for example, a SS went 0-60 in 4.9, an SVT cobra took 5.5. Now its closer, but the chevy still wins. A blower just underlines the difference
Old 11-09-2002, 07:39 PM   #168
pimpstyles77
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to pimpstyles77
camaro is hot and so is the stang, but on this one " i'd rather push a chevy then drive a ford" it's just the camaro will always stay hot and carry big balls

Old 11-09-2002, 07:53 PM   #169
-cy-
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to -cy-
The '03 cobra is done pretty well, with a few mods they are running like raped apes.

The LS1 is great engine as well, it reacts to mods nearly as well, although not as obvious as the cobra, i think mostly because of the forced induction.

This entire debate comes down to preferance. I like chevy, dunno why, i just prefer bowtie. I respect ford as well as chevy, though. Stock for stock the LS1 will win over the stang/cobra (pre-'03 cobra), but for an LS1 (not LS6) vs. '03 cobra its even if not the cobra ahead a smidge.

As far as which i'd take, the Z06 or the '03 cobra, definitely the Z06. Its all preferance. If i actually had to pay the tab on the car though, i'd buy a a fox body w/5.0 and then a '98 f-body w/LS1 and build them both up.

I couldn't imagine driving around a $50k car everyday, i'd be afraid to leave it anywhere or drive on poor roads.
Old 02-21-2003, 10:04 AM   #170
dirk-diggler
Banned

Camaro would just wait till the Mustang breaks. But even if it doesn't Chevy always has more power.
Old 02-21-2003, 03:49 PM   #171
SledgehammerVette
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to SledgehammerVette Send a message via Yahoo to SledgehammerVette
Camaro. I love the looks of it, that hood makes it look bad ass. And there is nothing like an LS1 V8 (besides the LS6).

While I respect Ford for what they have done with the '03 Cobra, I'm still dissapointed. Chevy can make 405HP V8 all motor granted that's the LS6 engine, but isn't basically the same thing, only different pistons and other things? I don't see why Ford can't make their V8 an all motor beast. I would have given even more props if Ford pulled that off.

Never the less the '03 Cobra is impressive, and sadly the Camaro is gone. So Ford did something right (most likely the styling).

4DRSpeed.com Is Here!
Old 02-22-2003, 12:48 PM   #172
pontiactrac
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by pimpstyles77
camaro is hot and so is the stang, but on this one " i'd rather push a chevy then drive a ford" it's just the camaro will always stay hot and carry big balls

What Concept Honda is that in your signature??? Is that a future production?
Old 02-22-2003, 11:46 PM   #173
benroliver
AF Newbie

I wouldn't be caught dead in a camaro. They are built with poor quality, like a typical GM product. Thew new 03 cobra looks ten times better in my opinion. The new cobra runs a 12.6 bone stock and at 34 grand there is no comparison. The aniversary ss is more than 32 grand and .5 second slower in the 1/4. Yes the mustang is blown, but it has so much hidden power, for instance removing the silencer add 15rwhp. The car is heavily restricted coming out of the factory. Plus the car has an iron block and forged pistons. The cobra can hold twice the boost that an ss with an aluminum block can hold. Plus u would have to pay an extra 5 grand to get a blower supercharger on it and who knows how much more to get the same reliability as the cobra. The fact that it is .1 slow in the quarter mile than a z06 is sad. The z06 cost 52 grand. If you people disagree with me check out this article:

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...ff_deathmatch/
Old 02-23-2003, 12:03 AM   #174
joeB
AF Enthusiast

Old 02-23-2003, 01:25 PM   #175
pontiactrac
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by benroliver
I wouldn't be caught dead in a camaro. They are built with poor quality, like a typical GM product. Thew new 03 cobra looks ten times better in my opinion. The new cobra runs a 12.6 bone stock and at 34 grand there is no comparison. The aniversary ss is more than 32 grand and .5 second slower in the 1/4. Yes the mustang is blown, but it has so much hidden power, for instance removing the silencer add 15rwhp. The car is heavily restricted coming out of the factory. Plus the car has an iron block and forged pistons. The cobra can hold twice the boost that an ss with an aluminum block can hold. Plus u would have to pay an extra 5 grand to get a blower supercharger on it and who knows how much more to get the same reliability as the cobra. The fact that it is .1 slow in the quarter mile than a z06 is sad. The z06 cost 52 grand. If you people disagree with me check out this article:

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...ff_deathmatch/
Dude, no offense, but if you would take a look at some other mustang threads, you will know that Ford's reputation on quality is alot worse than GM's. I am a mustang fan, but when it comes to reliability, you can't say a mustang is built better and going to last longer than a GM product.
Old 02-23-2003, 01:52 PM   #176
JD@af
Missing in action

Send a message via ICQ to JD@af Send a message via AIM to JD@af
And without getting into a mojor debate about the morality of this, its a joke to me that Ford continues to use the ancient Fox platform for the Mustang, and slaps an Eaton M112 onto their engine to make power. So with the Vette you pay a lot more for a clean sheet design, and comparable power without forced induction, because GM engineers are going back and finding more power the old-fashioned way (i.e. with the Z06). So is it any wonder that you are paying a lot more?

Consumers can add the FI systems themselves if they so choose (think how much power the LS1's or LS6's would make with the same boost pressure). What is a lot tougher for us to do (if even possible) is rework the engine for more naturally aspirated power. That is where the engineers need to do their focusing, and I applaud GM for doing that.
Old 02-23-2003, 02:09 PM   #177
-cy-
AF Enthusiast

LS1's with 9 pound superchargers put out around 500rwhp, even more with the right stuff. A guy locally has internatlly stock LS1, running 9 pounds and puts down 544rwhp...not too shabby.
Old 02-23-2003, 02:13 PM   #178
JD@af
Missing in action

Send a message via ICQ to JD@af Send a message via AIM to JD@af
I'll also add that most aluminum block engines still have cast iron cylinder bores, which effectively helps lessen or close the structural integrity gap between aluminum and iron blocks, while enjoying the benefit of significant weight savings.
Old 02-23-2003, 02:28 PM   #179
-cy-
AF Enthusiast

Both cars have their ups and downs. It all comes down the how much $$ you have, if you are chevy or ford loyal, and what just tickles your pickle more.
Old 02-24-2003, 07:11 PM   #180
pontiactrac
AF Enthusiast

It also depends on the years of the models. I think at this point, Mustang is winning

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons