Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-16-2004, 12:49 AM   #46
SabreKhan
The middle pedal is bad

Re: tiburon vs subaru wrx turbo?

Alright. I have driven both cars extensively. First, I must say that this conversation is asinine. WRX vs. Tiburon? That's the biggest apples and oranges comparison I've encountered yet on this website. Second, I must say that for once I agree with everything that Idelaysionl has written (usually I agree with most of it, but not all of it).
An ex-girlfriend of mine had a Tiburon, and while it was an OK car for zooming around town in, I would never in a million years compare it to the WRX. The Tiburon would be much more comfortable going up against Cavaliers and Sunfires and Foci. Or, for that matter, my Saturn. The Tiburon did its job well: entry level sporty coupe. It was, however, in no way comparable to the WRX.
A Subaru Impreza WRX is a driver's car. Yes, the interiors are cheap. Yes, the exterior styling could be better than it is. But in the performance per dollar category, I think the WRX is the top of the totem pole. A Subaru dealership is currently offering me a WRX for under $21000, brand new. Granted, that's bone stock except for a short-throw shifter. But even bone stock, the WRX outclasses the Tiburon in almost every category except possibly fuel mileage. The '02 WRX can be had for under $14k, if price is an issue.
If you're on this website regularly, you're obviously thinking about cars a whole lot. Shouldn't you be willing to put in the extra maintenance that a WRX requires? Besides, as an old BMW enthusiast once told me when I was shopping for my M-Coupe, "You'll be glad you bought the car you wanted instead of the car you settled for. Money can always be re-earned. Happiness, not as easily."

2004 Impreza WRX (SCCA DS 519)
2000 Saturn SL
SabreKhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 10:10 AM   #47
TatII
AF Fanatic

hmmm we have alot of biased tiburon owners here huh? flywsi why don't you and delaysional tell these guys about how weak their v6's are? and the main crank bearing cap bolts will rip right out of the soft block at only 300crank hp? so much for 380whp on that twin turbo v6 eh? and that is not even a problem you can fix by changing rods and pistons and sleeves. its a flaw in the most basic yet most unchangable part. if you want a tib and make it fast. get a 4 cylinder. their blocks are known to hold up better under boost, and the best bonus of all is that since you guys always talk about using money saved on upgrades. well you can use the money you saved over the v6 to the I4 on the I4. but beware you have a freaking 10 year warrantee which means you can do serious work to the car ( IE: turbo ) without voiding warrantee. which defeats your whole argument of the car having a better warantee

you can either keep the car stock ( slow ) and have your warantee incase something goes wrong

or you can hook it up and throw your great warantee out the window and pray that nothing will blow up or all apart.

Best E.T. 13.559
Best Trap speed 107.62 mph
TatII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 05:37 PM   #48
naylor
AF Newbie

Its a fuckin hyundai...
naylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 05:46 PM   #49
flylwsi
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to flylwsi

that was insightful.
flylwsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 01:51 AM   #50
SabreKhan
The middle pedal is bad

Back to the pricing issue, I just bought a WRX today (Saturday, May 22 '04) brand new for a little over $23000, and that came with a short-throw shifter, three-gauge pack, column-mounted turbo gauge, 6-disc CD changer, tape deck, security system, and all the regular stuff that comes on the WRX (A/C, ABS, AWD, cruise, etc.). So I am your firsthand witness that it can be had for cheap.

2004 Impreza WRX (SCCA DS 519)
2000 Saturn SL
SabreKhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 05:22 AM   #51
landshark155mph
AF Newbie

the tib is the most under rated sport compact.

a wrx is not faster than a tib gt( i was beating them with just a cai a 200 usd upgrade) from 50-60 mph rolls. of coarse out of the hole the awd owns but thats a drivetrain issue.

the only subby that i fear is the sti its a monster but if i had f/i....it would be a different story

nisco is right bout the rsx being a drivers race my buddy has a 04 rsx with i/h/e/hondata reflash + 17 volks and i run even with him up to bout 125 then he starts to walk bout 2 cars to 150 i only have i/e and some weight reduction.

but a stock wrx will not be able to keep up with a lightly modded tib the bottom line is that for the same amount of money the tib will win hands down
everytime
landshark155mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 10:55 AM   #52
flylwsi
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to flylwsi

it's not faster?
stock for stock, it gets owned by the wrx.
sorry.

nice of you to bring up a month old thread, with some sketchy info...

Quote:
but a stock wrx will not be able to keep up with a lightly modded tib the bottom line is that for the same amount of money the tib will win hands down
everytime
so for the one time you came across a STOCK wrx with your MODDED tib, you beat it?
that means that wrx's are overrated, right?
right.

what's a "a 200 usd upgrade"?
is that a 200 dollar upgrade?

b/c if you put 200 bucks into a wrx and did a little work, it'd still beat you.

what did your car run stock?
(if you don't know, you don't know what a wrx will run...)

if you're close to low 14's STOCK, we'll talk.
what's your car run now?
if it's close to low 14's MODDED, you can keep posting.
flylwsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 04:55 PM   #53
tibby01
AF Enthusiast

such a hatefull world we live in. everyone downing everyone else's car, just to make theirs look better.

ill try to defend hyundais in every way possible, but there is simply no comparison between a wrx and a tiburon.
tibby01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 01:13 AM   #54
landshark155mph
AF Newbie

Re: Re: tiburon vs subaru wrx turbo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flylwsi
it's not faster?
stock for stock, it gets owned by the wrx.

so for the one time you came across a STOCK wrx with your MODDED tib, you beat it?
that means that wrx's are overrated, right?
right.

what's a "a 200 usd upgrade"?

200 "United States Dollar" upgrade
is that a 200 dollar upgrade?

b/c if you put 200 bucks into a wrx and did a little work, it'd still beat
you.

what did your car run stock?
(if you don't know, you don't know what a wrx will run...)

if you're close to low 14's STOCK, we'll talk.
what's your car run now?
if it's close to low 14's MODDED, you can keep posting.
true but with just and cai on a gt tib will walk a stock wrx

first off i just beat one this last saturday he had exhaust from what i could see. he wasn't even a challenge. and that is like the fifth one i have beaten

the one i beat last weekend had at least 200 usd put into it but the point is if i put spend 23k on a stock wrx and i spend 20k on a stock tib and then put the extra 3k into it for a totel of 23k the same as a stock wrx. the tib would murder the stock wrx easily but it only takes a 200 dollar upgrade to run with a wrx. keep in mind i'm not talking bout the drag strip

like i need your permission to post, plus what do u drive

dude, with my tib i run 9.4 in the 1/8 but my car is not set up for drag it is setup for highspeed runs my drag racing starts at 50mph rolls

what do u drive?

the tib is not made for the drag strip, hence the fwd layout. from a dig awd will always have an advantage over fwd but from a roll the awd advantage is lessened all wrx i have beaten r on open roads with turns and straights where u have to use all 3 pedals to compete!! if i wanted a drag car a would just bring out the ws6.
landshark155mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 03:48 PM   #55
Big Joer
AF Newbie

You want a cheap, fast car that can be fast as stink when modded for a coupld thousand (much less if you go junkyard shopping)? Buy a DSM, esp 1st gen AWD turbo talon. Doesnt look that great though, a 3rd gen will look better and be almost as good, check it out

HTH

Big J
Big Joer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:55 AM   #56
DaVillian92
AF Newbie

Smile Re: tiburon vs subaru wrx turbo?

All right, i have an 03 tiburon v6 manual. My neighbor has the wrx impreza. Ill say right now, that damn wrx is a beast. Its a tiny little car, but its AWD and stock turbo give it a take off speed that doesnt compare to the tib. Which sux for me. But the tib has, hands down, the top speed that u cant beat. We race all the time and ill admit in a shorter sprint hes a leader. But wen we get down to dyno tests, circut runs, and price evaluation, the tiburon definitely beats the wrx. The wrx, for the cost, you get everything u really need. Only a few mods left for it. The tib, with a lil more cash flow and sum time, you can make a real power house. Ide say, if u got the cash and dont wana mod the shit outta of a car, go with the WRX. If you got some extra cash, get the tib and jus start throwing on mods. Ive started modding mine and im starting to close that gap between myself and that WRX. here's a sentence that will explain wat i mean here: "the wrx is nimbler and lighter than the tib, but the tib is that racer ur lookin for." the WRX is a rally car, thats obvious...so unless u want a rally car, dont go with it. Get the tib and start pitting that out for a show. WRX are nice for people who dont wana do alot to a car or wana do alot and have alot of $$$. But...its a toss up. It comes down to what ur lookin for.
DaVillian92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:18 AM   #57
DaVillian92
AF Newbie

Also, if ur lookin for a drifter, the wrx is nice and will handle great. But if ur lookin to challenge urself and want to look really awesome, really practice with the tib and get that beast to horn corners. Ive been workin on it and ill tell ya, it looks pretty bad ass coming around sum of those corners....lol. The WRX is nice, but its an obvious car for a drift. Go big or go home.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:46 AM   #58
DaVillian92
AF Newbie

I forgot to add this, if ur lookin to put an aftermarket sound system in, go with the tib especially. The door speakers in the wrx have to be modded to be inserted. The wrx doors are narrow and cant fit jus any ole speakers. Ull have to get specific speakers or get sum speaker mount modifications. It took $200+ for my neighbor and i to drop his door speakers in. I havent had an issue with the tib system. I dropped a couple aftermarket door speakers in along with a 12" kenwood sub in the back. Sounds great, gets a thumpin, and looks bad ass without takin all ur trunk space. (The WRX has considerable more trunk space, but is not a hatchback or hydro trunk.)
Old 05-04-2011, 09:55 AM   #59
DaVillian92
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark155mph View Post
true but with just and cai on a gt tib will walk a stock wrx

first off i just beat one this last saturday he had exhaust from what i could see. he wasn't even a challenge. and that is like the fifth one i have beaten

the one i beat last weekend had at least 200 usd put into it but the point is if i put spend 23k on a stock wrx and i spend 20k on a stock tib and then put the extra 3k into it for a totel of 23k the same as a stock wrx. the tib would murder the stock wrx easily but it only takes a 200 dollar upgrade to run with a wrx. keep in mind i'm not talking bout the drag strip

like i need your permission to post, plus what do u drive

dude, with my tib i run 9.4 in the 1/8 but my car is not set up for drag it is setup for highspeed runs my drag racing starts at 50mph rolls

what do u drive?

the tib is not made for the drag strip, hence the fwd layout. from a dig awd will always have an advantage over fwd but from a roll the awd advantage is lessened all wrx i have beaten r on open roads with turns and straights where u have to use all 3 pedals to compete!! if i wanted a drag car a would just bring out the ws6.

Totally agree. The dude thats givin u crap needs to screw off. Srry man, but these tibs arent bad.

Jus like this guy said, if i wanted a drag car, i woulda got one. My tib burns out all 3 WRXs in town in the long run.

Sprints (drags) arent the only racing types there are. I run circuts all the time and the tib destroys.

WRXs are quick off the line, but thats about it really. Their aftermarket mods dont perform and enhance nearly as much as they would on a tiburon.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:00 AM   #60
DaVillian92
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flylwsi View Post
that was insightful.
lol. Everyone is so hateful. Ah well. Ill be the adult here and say it straight up, i have a tiburon modded a lil, and ive raced wrxs. Theyre quick as fuh...and they can beat the tib easy. BUT!!!, when the dude says $ for $, the tib cant be beat....hes right. The WRXs i race are bought for $15k. I got the tib for $6K. So lets do a lil math, im smoking wrxs now in the long runs, yet ive only put down $1,000 at most...so in full cost(with the original $) im lookin at my cars net worth bein around $12k....and it smokes WRXs. But maybe they jus cant drive....lol. Anywho...Jus a thot.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons