Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 08:30 AM   #1
waspycakes
AF Newbie

Question 3D Suspension Sys Animation - Need Help

Good morning gents....

I need some assistance from the guys who know all things automotive. Here's the situation: I have to complete a working 3D animated segment of a conventional suspension system. Unfortunately, I hit a major snag when it came to rigging the tie rod ends to the steering knuckle - that area completely baffles me. In order to better understand the problem, I've included diagrams.

As a quick aside, I'm not working from any sort of accurate 2d schematic drawings of a suspension system. I'm reduced to having to eyeball the technical illustration and then best-guess where things should go and what their dimensions should be.....which is kinda like trying to pick a dime off a linoleum floor in the dark while wearing wool mittens.

Looking at the technical diagram, it looks as though the tie rod is bolted into place, and can only slide along its X axis through the sleeve, with a ball joint configuration at the end. The problem is when the wheel goes up (fig.B), there is a large gap (Z axis movement) between the tie rod end and the steering knuckle pivot point. So how does this work in real life if the end of the tie rod is bolted into place and cannot travel along its Z axis? Does the steering knuckle travel up and down the tie rod end along a spindle?

I would really appreciate it if you could shed some light on the problem. Thanks guys!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tierod_A.jpg (66.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg tierod_B.jpg (70.7 KB, 5 views)
waspycakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:45 PM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: 3D Suspension Sys Animation - Need Help

There are ball joints on each end of the outer tie rods. In the conventional steering/suspension setup you show in the attached images, the steering linkage would consist of a drag link between the tie rod assemblies (one per side/wheel) as well as an idler arm on the passenger side and pitman arm on the driver's side.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shorod For This Useful Post:
waspycakes (06-29-2011)