Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 6 Series
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 12:32 AM   #1
Max-Moto
AF Newbie

Son Is Looking at 86 635 - How Many Miles Is Too Many?

My son is in high school and has found a 1986 BMW 635

Car looks pretty decent for a 20 year old car. faded paint, worn drivers side seat, but looks to have been well cared for. Body is straight and doesn't show signs or rust or accident repair. nice looking older car with some potential

I nearly fell over when the owner said its got 270,000 miles on it with the engine being rebuilt 70,000 ago

we can pick it up fairly cheap but having that many miles on it just screams NO to me

I guess my question would be with that many miles is it a given that this will be a nightmare for him and not a reliable car for him to shine up?
Max-Moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 09:21 AM   #2
zimhunter
AF Newbie

Re: Son Is Looking at 86 635 - How Many Miles Is Too Many?

I don't know how many is too many but have now owned 2 6's with rather indeterminate mileage. Carfax is totally without merit as for as mileage is concerned in MY opinion. If the engine was truly rebuilt 70k ago and I had documentation or knowledge as to EXACTLY what was done I would go completely on that and the physical appearance of the car. If the engine and Transmission are in good condition and there is no extensive rust damage you can maintain the rest within reason as far as I'm concerned. It does help to be mechanically inclined and have tools as with any repairs shop costs are high. Parts are reasonably priced from good sources and most are available promptly. I had a Ford 150 that had a damaged mudflap and it took 2 months to get one. The only parts problem with the Six is with body parts or appearance items in my experience.
zimhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 01:25 PM   #3
89635Csi
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max-Moto
My son is in high school and has found a 1986 BMW 635

Car looks pretty decent for a 20 year old car. faded paint, worn drivers side seat, but looks to have been well cared for. Body is straight and doesn't show signs or rust or accident repair. nice looking older car with some potential

I nearly fell over when the owner said its got 270,000 miles on it with the engine being rebuilt 70,000 ago

we can pick it up fairly cheap but having that many miles on it just screams NO to me

I guess my question would be with that many miles is it a given that this will be a nightmare for him and not a reliable car for him to shine up?

I have 286K on my 89 635, no need to rebuild. I still have 175lbs in each cylinder. I have owned it since new, used Amsoil exclusively, babied it everytime it farted, and still spent more than 20K on repairs/tranny O haul/driveline/steering . I put an Eibach suspension on it, lowered it 1-1/4", installed Koni shocks. I do not recomend it to any teenager, unless he/she is making a good wage, or dad is ready to shell out big $ to make/keep it nice. I had a recent tune up, with some new wires, air boot, plugs, and lube/oil flush and change, general checkup. $900.00!!! I now have to do rear brakes, new accumulator switch, a couple rubber bushings, re-set the valves, and A/C work. I'll do all but A/C, and the parts will still run a few hundred. I usually do most of the work on it, but didn't have a weekend free. I'll find the time when the next tune up comes. When working on the 635, be patient. It's engineered well, but not easy. It's the only BMW worth owning long term, but maybe a used dime-a-dozen 300 series is best. Chicks don't appreciate the 635.
89635Csi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 10:46 PM   #4
asuj_158@msn.com
AF Regular

This is a general statement but all orlder cars cost alot to keep up... not to mention a beemer. But yeah its going to cost alot to keep up. Recomend mid 90's 325i. Theyre reliable and dont cost as mich to keep up.
asuj_158@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 6 Series