Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Street Racing
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-14-2002, 03:34 PM   #1
BigBlock454
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to BigBlock454
"ram air"

a couple of people were telling me that I could put "ram air" on my Cougar, they said all I need pretty much is one of those vacuum hoses I can get at Home Depot and I connect it somehow to the intake hose... it seems fairly cheap and easy to give me a decent horsepower boost, has anybody heard about this before, and if so know exactly how I should go about doing this so I don't wreck something I shouldn't have...
BigBlock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2002, 06:18 PM   #2
chebbiesux
AF Regular

umm

i personally wouldn't bother, the intake system on your cougar isn't very restrictive unless you have lots of modifications already done, and the work it would take to add ram air to the car would not be worth the very minimal power gains
Old 04-15-2002, 06:24 PM   #3
The DeViL
AF Regular

Ram air can make a good deal of difference in a race. I have never heard of buying something from home depot to hook up in the car though wtf.
The DeViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 08:28 PM   #4
fastrThanU
AF Enthusiast

you're talking about the homemade ram air setup that HOT ROD mag. did about a year ago or so..... it's a very easy mod that can gain about 8HP on the average domestic V8 because of the denser, cooler intake charge.... all you do is attach two 4" or so plastic ribbed bendable tubes to the air box or a closed air cleaner assembly and run the tubes to a high pressure area on the front end of the car.... depending on what year and style of car it is, you can run them into high beam headlight buckets, or under the front bumper, or pretty much wherever. just make sure that the tubes are clear of any fan blades or moving parts...

11.67@117
"plaster your ass to the back glass"
.... put yer motor where yer mouth is.....
fastrThanU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 08:30 PM   #5
fastrThanU
AF Enthusiast

you're talking about the homemade ram air setup that HOT ROD mag. did about a year ago or so..... it's a very easy mod that can gain about 8HP on the average domestic V8 because of the denser, cooler intake charge.... all you do is attach two 4" or so plastic ribbed bendable tubes to the air box or a closed air cleaner assembly and run the tubes to a high pressure area on the front end of the car.... depending on what year and style of car it is, you can run them into high beam headlight buckets, or under the front bumper, or pretty much wherever. just make sure that the tubes are clear of any fan blades or moving parts... ram air really only makes a difference when you're moving foreward and the air is physically being rammed into the intake

11.67@117
Old 04-16-2002, 03:40 AM   #6
LjasonL
Some Guy

Send a message via AIM to LjasonL
i have a hose running from behind my foglight cover t the intake... cost: free, found the hose in my garage. gains: not really noticable.
LjasonL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 11:33 PM   #7
killa2344
AF Newbie

Question Should I use one???

I have a '86 Oldsmobile cutlass supreme with a 455 in it. Would using a tunnel ram help me? If so where could I get one?
Old 04-25-2002, 01:52 AM   #8
fastrThanU
AF Enthusiast

a tunnel ram is a type of intake manifold that is usually ram with dual quads.... not ram induction. yes, a tunnel ram would help your 455, but you would need a radical cam, two 550-600 cfm carbs, hi flow heads, exhaust, all on a high compression motor to take the full advantage of it, because they are designed to work the 3000-7000rpm range, and therefore rob sub- 2500rpm torque. you should have the mods listed above before you consider a tunnel ram so that you can compensate for the torque loss (via higher compression), and also utilize the extended powerband (via increased breathability and fuel delivery)

11.67@117