Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > C/K
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 08:10 PM   #1
imakedacookies
AF Regular

96 chevy 2500 cheyenne

Hey I'm purchasing a new truck tomorrow. I'm just trying to figure out what it's capable of and if there are any issues that are common with these trucks. I used to have a 94 2500 with the 454 and auto, how will this truck compare? It has the 5.7 and a manual. Also is it difficult to put in a gooseneck? That was the only thing that made me hesitate is I need to put one in so I can pull the horsetrailer. I'm just nervous about putting holes in the bed etc. Does anyone know the max tow capacity, I don't believe the 6k lbs that Google comes up with seeing as I pulled 20k with my f150 (I know that's too much but I didn't have anything bigger at the time)

Thanks, hope yall can add some info to my overflowing brain.
imakedacookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 02:14 AM   #2
Schurkey
AF Enthusiast

Re: 96 chevy 2500 cheyenne

1. The Vortec 5.7 will have similar power although somewhat less torque than the 7.4L you used to have. Given the difference in transmissions, and--maybe--a difference in axle gear ratio, I don't know how different it will drive compared to your old truck.

2. Common problems: Intake gaskets, the fuel injection "spider", and be sure to inspect the distributor. First Guess: The intake gaskets and spider were already repaired by the previous owner because they typically didn't last this many years.

3. Small-block truck pulling a gooseneck? You better hope for advantageous rear axle gears.

4. 2500 stopping a gooseneck? You'd better hope it's not a light-duty 2500. If it has six-lug wheels, you might want to reconsider (or at least verify the trailer weight won't exceed the pulling/carrying capacity.)
For the good of the Free World, DEMAND COMPENSATION FROM CHINA for their release of the Virus Originating in the Wuhan Laboratory, released (intentionally or negligently) into the world in 2019 (VOWL-19). Ten trillion to start with, increasing as needed from there, PLUS compensation for the sickened, and "wrongful death" settlements for the families of those who didn't survive. END trade with Communist China.
Schurkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 08:41 PM   #3
imakedacookies
AF Regular

I pulled a 36 foot gooseneck with a backhoe on it with the 7.4 all the time so I know the truck itself can handle it, just wasn't sure about the engine. It is an 8 lug wheel pattern so it's the heavier duty 2500. As for problems I have my first one, no issues driving it home nor any this morning. But driving back home after work everything seemed fine but 30 seconds after I shut it off it sounded and looked like it puked coolant from the radiator (just installed) I located a male hose fitting under the filler cap that's obviously where it's coming from, and there is no hose attached. However I have no clue what would be connected there, or where the hose went since it was fine for the first 100 miles I had it. I'm also asking the people I bought it from who are the ones that replaced the radiator. Hoping they'll reply soon.
Old 03-05-2017, 03:09 AM   #4
Schurkey
AF Enthusiast

The nipple under the rad cap should connect to the plastic overflow bottle via a rubber/plastic hose. Find the overflow bottle, find the hose, connect it to the nipple using some kind of clamp.

Top off the coolant level in the bottle to the "Full Cold" mark, re-check when hot. GM has suggested that the bottles in various vehicles be over-filled to combat deterioration of the Dex-Cool coolant, but your vehicle may not have Dex-Cool antifreeze, and your vehicle may or may not be one of the ones that GM recommends overfilling.

"I" do not have much problem with lightly over-filling the recovery bottle no matter what GM says.
For the good of the Free World, DEMAND COMPENSATION FROM CHINA for their release of the Virus Originating in the Wuhan Laboratory, released (intentionally or negligently) into the world in 2019 (VOWL-19). Ten trillion to start with, increasing as needed from there, PLUS compensation for the sickened, and "wrongful death" settlements for the families of those who didn't survive. END trade with Communist China.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Schurkey For This Useful Post:
imakedacookies (03-05-2017)
Old 03-05-2017, 10:54 AM   #5
imakedacookies
AF Regular

There's already one going to the overflow from the radiator cap. I'm assuming the radiator just has an extra since it's a replacement. I'll plug it seeing as it already has one and see what that does.
Old 05-21-2017, 07:13 PM   #6
imakedacookies
AF Regular

Woo new problem with the truck. I know Chevys from the 90s have electrical issues but what would cause it to be ok during normal weather but have problems when it's humid. I love in colorado so humidity is not normal, but if it's heavy rain or very humid sometimes the engine won't crank, sometimes it dies when I press the clutch, and for the first time, 3 days ago while it was pouring (2inches in 12 hours) it wouldn't even crank. Today it was dry and I took it 400 miles with no issues whatsoever. Also every now and then all my gauges die, they usually come back within 30 seconds. Is there any ideas/fixes or just crappy 21 year old Chevy electronics? And 0 money can be put towards fixing this at this time as I have another 4x4 to deal with the muddy county roads when it rains.

Random thought, when did gm come out with the 8.1? Looking for something with a bigger engine, 35k lbs gross was toooooo much for the 5.7 and I can't afford a diesel... honestly I don't know what a 8.1 is rated for anyway. I ask because I like the 94ish through 98ish Chevys but he'll, even the 454 may or may not be strong enough.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:14 AM   #7
Schurkey
AF Enthusiast

The 8.1 can be made to produce power...but it's really expensive.

You're better off hot-rodding a 454. All the parts you could want are readily available. START with the muffler and exhaust system. The Vortec 7.4 is known to have an extremely restrictive muffler.
Old 05-22-2017, 01:10 PM   #8
imakedacookies
AF Regular

I like the 454/know the engine pretty well so id prefer that just didn't know if there were advantages of the 8.1. How hard is it to find a 454 with a manual transmission? I'm also curious if y'all think the issues with my current truck is easily fixable or since I need something bigger just work my way to a 454?
Old 05-22-2017, 03:11 PM   #9
Schurkey
AF Enthusiast

"Won't crank when it's humid or raining" is going to depend on whether there's power to the "S" terminal at the starter solenoid when you turn the key to "start".

If there's healthy power--12 volts or more--then the problem is in the starter motor or solenoid.

If there's no or weak power, the problem is in the vehicle harness including the ignition switch, and power source all the way back to the battery.
The Following User Says Thank You to Schurkey For This Useful Post:
imakedacookies (05-22-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 07:14 PM   #10
imakedacookies
AF Regular

Hopefully it's not the harness, I'd be lost. I'll check out the starter and hope it's there.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:22 PM   #11
imakedacookies
AF Regular

Well it rained today, figured I'd check the truck. Starter/solenoid both had power. Engine wouldn't crank, came back 20 minutes later and it started right up. That would be the harness then right? How expensive are they, and can someone that works 80 hours a week do it in a day or 2 and still get sleep ha?
Old 05-25-2017, 10:52 PM   #12
Schurkey
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by imakedacookies View Post
Well it rained today, figured I'd check the truck. Starter/solenoid both had power. Engine wouldn't crank, came back 20 minutes later and it started right up. That would be the harness then right?
The starter "S" terminal had 12+ volts with the key turned to "Start"? Starter motor didn't crank?

You need a replacement solenoid, or starter, or both. Easiest to replace both.

Quote:
How expensive are they, and can someone that works 80 hours a week do it in a day or 2 and still get sleep ha?
A starter is anywhere from $40 to $300 depending on the vehicle and the desired replacement starter/solenoid assembly.

Last time I pitched a starter motor into my '88 K1500, I paid about $60 for the starter motor and new starter motor bolts, and it took me about three hours to deal with some aftermarket wiring and heat-shielding in addition to bolting the starter in place. A straight-up ordinary replacement starter might cost about the same, probably would not need different bolts or heat shield, and wouldn't need the wiring changed. One hour from the time you jack it up until you test-drive it. Add 1/2 hour if you need to play games shimming the starter. Not likely...but possible.

Again, what you pay for a starter depends on what you want. It might be that the starter you need is more expensive than what I put on. I took a quick look at www.napaonline.com and saw that their suggestions for starters for a '96 K2500 ranged from $75 to nearly $250.

Keep in mind that "new" starters will almost certainly be Communist Chinese junk. I go out of my way to buy rebuilt DELCO starters.
Old 05-26-2017, 04:02 PM   #13
imakedacookies
AF Regular

Everything to the starter had power, my reader doesn't show how much power but did show as it being there. It's raining right now, same thing, it shows power but won't crank at all. The inconsistency is what was making me think harness now. Or am I overthinking a bad starter?
Old 05-26-2017, 07:36 PM   #14
imakedacookies
AF Regular

Sun came out, started right up, went on a 25 mile round trip for beer, it stalled at 65 mph 3 times, all the times once I pushed the clutch it turned back on without me having to turn the key..... is it possessed? Seriously though, I'm at a loss for words about it. And when I say stalled, I mean all electronics dead, no engine noise, no power steering or brakes, then I push the clutch, engine noise came back and everything worked like a champ. Till it happened 2 more times.
Old 05-27-2017, 02:51 PM   #15
Schurkey
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Everything to the starter had power, my reader doesn't show how much power but did show as it being there.
"Reader"??? What is a "reader"? You need to be testing with a voltmeter.

Are you testing the "S" terminal WITH THE KEY TURNED TO "START"? There will be no power at the "S" terminal in "Accessory", "Off", or "Run". There will ONLY be power at the "S" terminal in "Start".

Quote:
It's raining right now, same thing, it shows power but won't crank at all. The inconsistency is what was making me think harness now. Or am I overthinking a bad starter?
Are you testing the "S" terminal WITH THE KEY TURNED TO "START"?

Quote:
Sun came out, started right up, went on a 25 mile round trip for beer, it stalled at 65 mph 3 times, all the times once I pushed the clutch it turned back on without me having to turn the key..... is it possessed? Seriously though, I'm at a loss for words about it. And when I say stalled, I mean all electronics dead, no engine noise, no power steering or brakes, then I push the clutch, engine noise came back and everything worked like a champ. Till it happened 2 more times.
Have you cleaned/tightened the battery connections?

I would consider a faulty ignition switch and/or loose connector at the ignition switch or bulkhead connector.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > C/K