Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Fiero
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 11:48 PM   #1
erickdunn8104
AF Newbie

import powered fiero

not long ago i bought a 88 fiero. base. good body solid frame. cheap. i was looking into the ls swap but i like to be outside the box. ive been looking at a 3sgte. odd yes but i think is doable. all im stuck on is the mounts and axles. im getting the engine, 5-speed, wire harness, and ecu. i want to no what you guys suggest to make the swap go smoother.
erickdunn8104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:55 AM   #2
MrPbody
AF -Advisor

Re: import powered fiero

Make it go "smoother"? Use a GM engine. Please don't defile a classic.... Nothing "wrong" with a 3,.1 or 3.4 V6. Or a Quad-4... The "nastiest" modified P-Body I ever saw had a 455 Pontiac in it. Another was a '99 Grand Prix GTP super-charged 3800 "mated" to a 5-speed transaxle out of a Baretta.

The '88 is the one "collectable" Fiero. If it's a "GT", its even MORE desirable. This is the purest form of Pontiac ever produced. Why ruin it?

Jim

Jim
MrPbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:24 PM   #3
erickdunn8104
AF Newbie

i see what your saying and i have given the gm engines alot of thought. its not a gt. the body of the car is a perfect condition notch-back. the frame is sound, but the engine has more problems than a math book. see i race-every saterday night. i need to be able to keep up with crotch-Rocket smashing evos, tuned 400hp teggys and rx7s. not to mention the nsx that occasionally shows up. i need high rpms high boost and light weight. im getting the 3sgte, tranny, ecu, and wire harness for 2000.00. im not try to slap domestic guys in the face i just think import might be a little better of an option this time.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:13 AM   #4
MrPbody
AF -Advisor

Whatever. When NHRA had their "exhibition" class "Sport Compact" to "counter" NOPI, the GM engines NOPI "banned" turned out to be the "killers" in the class. While the Toyotas were "bragging" about mid 7 second passes with 6-cylinder, nitrous/turbo cars (RWD) in NOPI, EcoTechs (2.2 4s) were going 6.80s, FWD, no nitrous. It's no wonder why NOPI banned the Quad-4, the Iron Duke (2.5, for which there are a TON of high-end race parts) and ALL the GM 6s... Ever seen a Buick GN? A "2-ton Tesse", going 10s without any internal modifications?

My stepson has a Saturn (the only "legal" GM engine in NOPI a few years ago). He can run 14.0s with it. Naturally aspirated, and very srteetable. It's TINY (1.9). One afternoon, he was at a shop in the north side of town, picking up (3) balance jobs for me. Two Pontiacs and a BBC. A guy in a Civic (V-Tec) wanted to "dance". The Saturn surprised him so badly, he lost the race. He followed him home to talk about it. When he watched him unload at least 350 lbs. of "ballast", he just left. This may or may not be "typical". It is simply to keep you informed that imports aren't the ONLY small engines that can make REAL power.

Maybe you could consider using the Fiero as a "daily driver" and get a Honda or something for your "hot rod"...

Jim
MrPbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:35 PM   #5
erickdunn8104
AF Newbie

thanks. it is possable that i will change my mind but i dnt have that much knowledge of the 2.5l thats resting in the bay right now. any advice on a swap or a build to get rid of the carburetor and rap rpms up to atleast 6k? see i used to have a 96 integra with a ls vtech in it. crower cams, valve train, je 20 over forged pistons, shaved crank, fuel rail injectors, fuel pump, etc... i want the same power. the high end pull and the reliability. itll be a daily driver but if it comes to it i want to put the pedal down and take care of business. i no archie has kits to put the g6 6-speed tranny on the fiero. so that parts taken care of i just need the powerplant. and at a budget. i no some areas will be costly i dnt want all out i just need some extra ponies.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Fiero