Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Eighty Eight
Eighty Eight Includes the '97-'98 Regency and '96-'99 LSS Models
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 08:00 PM   #1
celani
AF Newbie

'95 Olds 88' Royale unknown problem...

I have a 95 Olds 88 Royale LS with 117000 miles on it. I left work the other night when I hit 40mph my car just started jerking while accelerating. It was doing this from 40mph-70mph only while pushing the gas. If I keep the speed steady or had the cruise on, everything seemed fine. I'm trying to go through the process of elimination from when I got gas, making sure all fluids are full, etc. Just wondering if anyone else has had this similar problem or have seen this problem in the past. The jerking is just in the front end. It feels like I'm going over rumble strips while accelerating through those speeds. Any insight or information would be helpful. Just looking for the root of the problem or a simple fix. If not I believe its time to buy something new instead of just pumping money into this car. Thanks.
celani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:43 PM   #2
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: '95 Olds 88' Royale unknown problem...

When it is 'jerking', try shifting the transmission out of overdrive and into 3 or D position. Does it still jerk?

Also, is the 'check engine light on?

Finally, I wonder if it's a broken engine mount, or something broken in the transmission....
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 12:53 AM   #3
celani
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
When it is 'jerking', try shifting the transmission out of overdrive and into 3 or D position. Does it still jerk?

Also, is the 'check engine light on?

Finally, I wonder if it's a broken engine mount, or something broken in the transmission....
Someone mentioned to me it may be the torque converter or a broken bolt in the torque converter. Would that make sense or could that be causing the symptoms. I'm not a car guy. Just trying to figure out where to start trouble shooting or fixing the problem.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:48 AM   #4
thisnametooktolong
AF Regular

This is going to sound very very stupid

Start the car and let it warm up. Walk to the back of the car and stick your hand over the tail pipe. Does it have a nice pulsating blow? Or does the thing go put put suck? I am trying to say is every now and then does it suck your hand toward or in the tail pipe?

Get back to me
thisnametooktolong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:14 PM   #5
Jrs3800
AF Enthusiast

First things first before saying bad trans or mount...

When was the last time the plugs and wires were replaced? And if they were I hope they are not Bosch Platinum..

also did the miss feel more present in Lockup, low revs under load... An example would be going up a slight hill in Overdrive at say 55 Mph and having the car bucking and kicking under high load?

If you were coasting and got back on the gas the car feels fine right? as soon as the revs drop as the Trans goes into lockup( High load situation ) the car starts to buck and kick again? Is something like this whats happening?
Jrs3800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:54 AM   #6
celani
AF Newbie

I don't know, but they probably need replaced. Yes that sounds exactly right. When I start going up hills and am accelerating it starts to buck and kick. So do the plugs and wires need replaced or what does that mean?
Old 06-02-2009, 01:07 PM   #7
Jrs3800
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by celani View Post
I don't know, but they probably need replaced. Yes that sounds exactly right. When I start going up hills and am accelerating it starts to buck and kick. So do the plugs and wires need replaced or what does that mean?
If I was you and you had an Advance auto parts near you... Get a set of their Autolite Professional plug wires, and a set of NGK TR55 Plugs.... Even Autolite 606 will be fine but I do recommend the NGK's..

Replace these items first..
Old 07-18-2009, 11:06 PM   #8
Jimouski
AF Newbie

does anyone know if this fixed the problem he had? i purchased one of the exact same cars with the exact same problem and am in need of a solution.

it only happens when im on the gas, usually starts around 45ish and continues. Someone told me to check the knock sensor but i haven't yet.
Jimouski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 01:56 PM   #9
Jrs3800
AF Enthusiast

I don't know if it will help you, but I will tell you to check the plugs and wires as well..
Old 05-20-2010, 01:36 AM   #10
Fester5150
AF Newbie

My mom has a 95 Olds eighty eight. Car jerks while accelerating. Changed plugs and wires, no help. Took to a mechanic he said the motor mounts are bad. I asked him how would that make the car jerk.... he said during acceleration, the motor turns and since there are bad motor mounts the engine is moving more than it should and is pulling on some electrical mechanisms which is causing a bad connection/loose wiring, etc. Replacing motor mounts tomorrow. We will see if it works. Hope this helps. Any suggestions/comments to this post telling me the motor mount solution is not the problem, it would also be appreciated! Thanks
Fester5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 06:50 PM   #11
maxwedge
A990 racer

Welcome to AF. Ask him what happens if this does not fix it, as he suggests it will! BTW, in the future start a new thread, this is way to old, thanks
Old 05-24-2010, 01:49 AM   #12
Fester5150
AF Newbie

Well..... I bought the "three" motor mounts. Took the parts/car to my mechanic friend to help out with the repairs and he was really against the idea that it was a motormount problem!! So needless to say, we didnt change the "three" motor mounts. We did check all "three" mounts and they looked good. We changed the cam shaft sensor, and fixed a couple of vacuum leaks. Ran 10x better but did not fix the "jerking" problem. While under the car I did notice a fourth motor mount that looks like a dog bone on the passenger side (underneath the firewall). The rubber bushings were shot!!! While returning the motormounts to Auto Zone, there was a guy replacing a battery on a 94 Olds 88. I ran down the problem to him and mentioned the motor mount solution and without hesitation said that was the problem!! Any advice before I waste more time and money would be appreciated!!!!
Fester5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 03:30 AM   #13
LordXBox
AF Newbie

I also have an oldsmobile 88, you're fuel injectors are dirty, that is why when you accelerate you get jerking and bucking, take it to walmart and have them do a fuel system cleaning, it will clear that problem right up.
LordXBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:14 AM   #14
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Doesn't anyone read the dates when these are posted?

Walmart, for injector cleaning, is the solution?
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 01:20 PM   #15
aleekat
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech II View Post
Doesn't anyone read the dates when these are posted?

Walmart, for injector cleaning, is the solution?
It was his 1st post....

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Eighty Eight