Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Mountaineer
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 07:33 PM   #1
Fan of Ford
AF Newbie

Fan Belt question

I have a 2000 Mountaineer and other than replacing the radiator over a year ago, no major problems at all. In the last week, my fan belt has been making a scuffing noise. It's just like a regular squeaking belt, but more of a scuffing sound. I've put belt dressing on it but it only seemed to make it louder. The belt looks great and seems to be pretty tight, no pullies are lose, and I am lost as to what it could be.

It is almost unnoticeable when sitting idle, almost. And as the vehicle revs up it becomes louder and faster. It's that "ch-ch-ch-ch" sound.

Any help?
Fan of Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:45 PM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: Fan Belt question

Are you familiar with the sound a bad tensioner or idler pulley makes? I suspect that may be what you are hearing. Since the belt is as easy to remove as it is, you might consider removing the belt and spinning each of the pulleys by hand to see if one is rough or sounds like it has worn bearings. Don't forget to also spin the alternator and A/C compressor pulley.

If you're confident that the noise is not a pulley, your next step should be to inspect all the pulley surfaces and grooves for debris. A wire brush to the grooved pulleys will help remove any rubber material that is stuck to the pulleys and reduce the chances for noise. After that would be to replace the belt with a new one.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:53 AM   #3
Rexcon
AF Newbie

Re: Fan Belt question

In the event that you are sure that the commotion is not a pulley your afterward step ought to be to investigate all the pulley surfaces and grooves for garbage.

A wire brush to the furrowed pulleys will assist evacuate any elastic material that is adhered to the pulleys and decrease the chances for clamor. After that might be to displace the cinch with another one.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Mountaineer