Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > S-10
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 08:01 PM   #1
GreyGoose006
AF Enthusiast

1.9 engine swap

Guys,
I have an 83 S10, 1.9L, 4speed.
The motor is leaking bad out of the rear main seal and will need a new headgasket here pretty soon. I was going to fix it, but have been contemplating a motor swap instead.
For what I do with it, running to the dump, and saving miles on my jeep, it has enough power and does just fine day to day.

does anyone know what 4 or 6cyl motors will bolt up to the transmission? the point of all this is keeping it cheap. if i can get my hands on a modest upgrade on the cheap, that would be pretty cool.

I don't have any problem swapping in something with fuel injection, but would rather stay carbed for simplicity and to avoid putting in a high pressure in tank pump.

if this is simply an oddball transmission, what 4-5 speed transmissions are plentiful and cheap in junk yards?
GreyGoose006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:21 AM   #2
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Re: 1.9 engine swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGoose006 View Post
Guys,
I have an 83 S10, 1.9L, 4speed.
The motor is leaking bad out of the rear main seal and will need a new headgasket here pretty soon. I was going to fix it, but have been contemplating a motor swap instead.
For what I do with it, running to the dump, and saving miles on my jeep, it has enough power and does just fine day to day.

does anyone know what 4 or 6cyl motors will bolt up to the transmission? the point of all this is keeping it cheap. if i can get my hands on a modest upgrade on the cheap, that would be pretty cool.

I don't have any problem swapping in something with fuel injection, but would rather stay carbed for simplicity and to avoid putting in a high pressure in tank pump.

if this is simply an oddball transmission, what 4-5 speed transmissions are plentiful and cheap in junk yards?
Your best bet is to check with a bone yard that has a interchange book.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:16 PM   #3
GreyGoose006
AF Enthusiast

nobody seems to have any info on these little 1.9s.
it isn't a bad motor, with OHC, it revs up pretty well, it just needs a freshening.

bump

i've seen some people say they share the 60 degree V6 pattern, some say no.
does anyone know for sure?

Ill hit up the junkyards next weekend if i can't find anything out by then.
GreyGoose006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 01:40 AM   #4
rustydogy
AF Newbie

to keep cost to a min. and then have some usable replacement parts I would stick with the original style/typ 1.9 motor, bone yards are full , look around and find 1 you can start so you know what your getting I've seen good running motors like them go for as little as $ 250 many yards will even deliver it ,,,,,,,,good luck
rustydogy is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > S-10