Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-21-2001, 02:26 PM   #1
g.saotome
AF Newbie

Question 325xi increased ride height

I am presently in the market for a 325xi. I was wondering if the increased ride height of approx .7" (vs. 325i) has a very noticeable impact on the ride/handling of the car. Unfortunately, the dealerships in my area do not seem to have any 325 or 330 xi in stock (they say that all their allocation is sold before they receive any - whether that is true or not, I haven't been able to find one on the lot anywhere) so I have not been able to test drive one for myself. Fortunately, I was able to order a 325xi with a very minimal deposit, so, as of now, I am planning on waiting to see how that one drives and then make a decision based on that. Still, I would like to hear from anyone who has had experience comparing the rwd and awd versions.

Also, since I know that someone will probably suggest that the rwd version is sufficient for most people, I will add that we get plenty of snow where I live, so, although awd isn't absolutely necessary, it would be very useful for me.
g.saotome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 12:57 PM   #2
jprhodes
AF Newbie

I have a 2002 330xi and am pretty unhappy with the suspension. The high center of gravity is exacerbated by a soft suspenion with too much travel and inadequate sway bars. I'm planning on upgrading the suspension, which should add about $1500-2000 the cost. This is a third party upgrade. BMW does not offer a sport suspenion with the 330xi sport package -- which is really dumb. I've owned Audi's in the past and found them to have far superior suspensions to the 330xi. So, you can either buy an xi and upgrade the suspension yourself or buy an Audi if you really need the AWD.
Old 01-05-2002, 01:13 AM   #3
jyslou
AF Newbie

I agree with jprhodes...

I have a 2001 330i. Test drove both an Xi w/ Sports and an i w/ sports when shopping. First off, to confirm, yes, there was only one 330Xi for me to test drive in the entire Bay area where I live so the Xi's do seem to be either in high demand or just low production. I called everywhere.

I opted for the 330i due to the much better feel of the driving experience and given where I live (read: no snow). The comparison was no contest. The RWD won hands down. The Xi felt "floaty" in corners and bumps.

I too used to own an Audi with Quattro. It never felt as disengaging as the Xi. The Xi suspension is something BMW should address.

Since snow is a factor as you stated, I would look at only the AWD cars (definitely incude the Audi's). I've seen some postings here at this forum about traction problems with RWD BMWs in the snow... chalk it up to the price of performance.

Good luck.
Old 01-10-2002, 04:16 PM   #4
will1383
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to will1383
AWD Experience.

I own a 1991 325ix and live in the northeast (read: LOTS of snow). This car does have a higher ride height than the 325i of the same model years causing excessive body roll durning hard corning. Although my car is a true 4wd compared to the AWD of today's xi's, I would opt for an Audi if I were to buy an new AWD. Their Quattro System totally rocks (Three of my friends have them, including the new 2002 A4 3.0), especially with the sport suspension.

I also have had experience with the "BMW syndrome" in the snow, i.e. rear wheel drive w/traction control. Word of advice.... If it's your daily driver and you are in snow country, BUY SOMETHING ELSE.... They are horrible in the snow and ice. The 330i rocks. I love that car. But it's not very good in the snow. I'm stuck buying a new audi or subaru if I want a good awd car for the snow.
will1383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 12:18 AM   #5
BlackMansWish
AF Newbie

hey, im lookin into gettin a 325xi cuz i live in canada and hopefully that'll get rid of switchin my wheels every year(?). Just wondering since they elevate it a bit, if i lower it again, it won't damage it or anything rite?
Also wondering if there is any loss in horsepower and if the added weight is negligible
BlackMansWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 08:54 PM   #6
jprhodes
AF Newbie

Don't know (but don't think) whether lowering it in and of itself would damage the car. A tuner shop should be able to tell you. The car is .7 inches higher than the regular 3 series. Hard to see how lowering it .7 inches could do anything.

The AWD add 209 lbs. to the car, which does slow it down just by virtue of the increased weight.

Having bought a 330xi, I'd recommend that you get a new Audi if you want AWD and are really interested in high performance. You can get the Audi pre-configured with a sport suspension, which saves you money and hassle vs. doing it yourself after you buy the car. If you're not as performance oriented, the BMW 3xi is a gorgeous luxury car with AWD.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:36 AM   #7
seomoneyy
Banned

hi....

Hello,

I have just joined the forum for having experiencing different new topics and getting good tips.

I hope you will all love me.

Thanks,

Bill

Search Engine Optimization Company
seomoneyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 02:12 AM   #8
bmw2001
AF Newbie

Re: 325xi increased ride height

hey i alos have a 330 have you ever had any road noise
bmw2001 is offline   Reply With Quote