Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 09:13 PM   #1
milpas421
AF Newbie

Looking for reasonable-priced performance mods.

I just got a 2003 328i and am looking for some performance mods within my budget (limited budget). What is the scoop on performance chips - any specifically recommended? What about exhaust?

I got the car with 94,000 on the clock and VERY clean. Very nice car. I started out with Signature Motoring performance intake which boosted HP by 12 horses. That kit for $194 with shipping. So I've got about $400 to spend (that was the budget)! LOL!
milpas421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 03:16 PM   #2
Broken-wrench
AF Newbie

Re: Looking for reasonable-priced performance mods.

Leave it alone until you can get up the funds to make it truly the perfect car. You'll need $3K or so just to buy al the parts & install them yourself. Not much you can do to the engine with out $$$ right there. A flash of the chip will suffice. Then the air intake with a K&N cone filter. Then to really make use of what you have just done, get a B&B exhaust system.

Next is the suspension. You do not need coil overs to make it trick. Get Bilstein sports shocks. Stock springs will retain their smooth ride. But get M3 swaybars. Get the biggest ones you can find. I use Racing Dynamics on mine. Brake upgrade isn't too bad. New gas slotted rotors & Cool carbon ceramic/ carbon fiber pads will do nicely. Good rubber is needed to get all to the ground. I've had best luck with Bridgestones of your choice. Tire Rack can help with the choice.

It isn't cheap but it DOES work to make it a perfectly balanced car you will be able to steer with the throttle!

Almost forgot, get a strut brace for the front end. Really stiffens up the front end. Rids the car of rattles & squeeks. I have a Racing Dynamics one in polished aluminum. Looks good! I don't think they make an X-brace for the bottom of your car. That adds the final touch to the car.
Broken-wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:54 PM   #3
DAVID B.
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to DAVID B.
Re: Looking for reasonable-priced performance mods.

doing the intake wasnt smart because u can suck dirt in. i had that and i went to active and they said the best way is the stock air box with a k & N airfilter with the chip that they have. I have the chip and filter done like they said and my car is running really good
DAVID B. is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series