Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 04:55 PM   #1
stuiedaman
AF Newbie

Question New Speakers Question

So my stereo was stolen the other week and I bought a new one (Sony CDX-GT300). I had a brilliant idea in the process. I had a spare Bose Theater System laying around and I decided to take the speakers out of their cases and use them in my car because my current speakers S.U.C.K. So I have four more speakers and a sub. The way the sub works (or will work?) is if I go from the stereo in my car to the sub and then to the speakers. Yeah, it's awkward because of the whole used-to-be home system situation. My problem is I now have 8 speakers and the stereo only has wires for 4 speakers, two front, two back (is this standard? it's the same as my last two stereos). Would I be able to direct all cables to the sub, but then split the wires coming out so each designated slot on the sub has two speakers? It's really hard to word so I drew a picture ^_^. Here's a link: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/820/carmap.jpg/. Am I able to split wires like that? What would happen? Thanks for looking!

EDIT: I forgot to say that there are separate places for each speaker coming into the sub, so im not plugging all the cables in one port. Each four pairs of cables (black/red) will go to it's own slot, then coming out I want to split each so instead of going to one speaker after the sub, it will go to two. Also, each line in the diagram acts as a pair (black/red). Thanks again!
stuiedaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:17 PM   #2
PaulD
Audio Guy

Send a message via AIM to PaulD Send a message via Yahoo to PaulD
Re: New Speakers Question

yes, you can wire them that way - will it sound good, probably not. You will have way too many speakers playing the same freq range coming from all diffeent directions. The cars speakers will be 2 or 4 ohm and BOSE system will be 8 ohms. The change in impedance will alos effect the crossover freqs since the croovers are passive. Also, I SERIOUSLY doubt that poor headunit can truly drive that load.

Bottom line - physically possible but most likely will have poor results.

P.S. Bose speakers suck too, what they have is an AWESOME PR dept.
PaulD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:06 PM   #3
stuiedaman
AF Newbie

well, I blew through a stereo. I bought a Sony Xplod from Target and hooked it all up to try to see how the quality would be, stereo wouldn't turn on. It had previously worked without the sub plugged in. fortunately, they took it back and i got a new one. so was the reason it broke the fact that the sub was drawing energy? would I be able to just split the wires without the sub and try that? i know the speakers will be underpowered but maybe wont sound too bad? I just dont want to break another. i think the target people will be suspicious...
Old 08-06-2011, 04:22 PM   #4
PaulD
Audio Guy

it wasn't just the sub, it was all the other speakers too. Like I said, your plan is physically possible but would like yield poor results. There is a reason why most people do bsically the same thing and it's called conventional wisdom.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:55 PM   #5
stuiedaman
AF Newbie

So I set it up with the two speakers in the front and four in the back using a series. The head unit wont come on. Is it too much power? I didn't break the stereo did I? The speakers in the back are 4 ohms and the stereo is 4-8, that should be fine shouldn't it?
Old 08-07-2011, 01:10 AM   #6
PaulD
Audio Guy

the stereo won't come on or it comes on but no sound ? Won't come on means a fuse is blown somewhere or it's connected up incorrectly, no sound might mean the built-in amp is in the self protect mode. Try running just one speaker per output.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:17 PM   #7
stuiedaman
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
Won't come on means a fuse is blown somewhere or it's connected up incorrectly
soo...how do i fix that?
Old 08-07-2011, 07:24 PM   #8
stuiedaman
AF Newbie

nvm i found a tutorial. heres a link for anyone wanting to know: http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-...e-a-blown-fuse
Old 08-07-2011, 10:59 PM   #9
stuiedaman
AF Newbie

Question Re: New Speakers Question

Yes, my two fuses were blown. One labeled Radio (which I'm guessing is it) and another with the lamp. I went out and replaced both properly (same amps). The lamp now works but the stereo still wont turn on. i noticed a fuse on the back of the stereo and that was is not blown. also, after the attempt, i checked the fuse again but it did not blow again. so maybe something else is wrong?
Old 08-08-2011, 05:00 PM   #10
PaulD
Audio Guy

there is another fuse under the hood
Old 08-08-2011, 07:31 PM   #11
stuiedaman
AF Newbie

I didnt see any blown fuses under the hood. what else could it be?
Old 08-08-2011, 11:08 PM   #12
stuiedaman
AF Newbie

I didn't see any that ere obviously labeled for the stereo so I took each one under the hood to check individually and none were blown. However, my stereo worked! The speakers in the back also worked, no sub in. I'm going to leave it that way. Also, the quality on the speakers are GREAT. The extra speakers make the difference. Tomorrow I'm going to replace the speakers in the door with som Bose. Thanks for your help!!
Old 08-09-2011, 04:05 PM   #13
PaulD
Audio Guy

the additional power going thru one of the fuses probably oxidized the fuse and contacts, removing it and putting it back in most likely cleaned it off enough to work.